Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business is good
Business is good
I was looking recently at a number of “We’re hiring” signs in the area lately.  I see post on Facebook for peoples companies who are hiring multiple positions with some even setting up some small job fair type venues.  It seems like even many restaurants and other stores are also hiring. 

We have a number of building expansions going on, and one new large plant that I don’t know how they are going to get people for.  And many of these are descent paying industrial jobs. Every one of our vendors says that things are booming. We are looking to add another engineer, either mechanical or controls (I think we will need both). We are getting a number of automation jobs, and hearing that a big part of the decision is that they can’t find people. Of course, if we do get people to come to the area, that will increase the construction industry, as they will require housing, and also increase service industries such as restraints and shopping; which we already need. 

I was curious how things are in other places (in your area)?  This is in north central PA.  We make a lot of parts, which go into assemblies for other things, so it can’t just be here.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
RE: Business is good
Here in Southwest Michigan everyone is hiring and struggling to find/keep employees. But that's pretty much been the case for the last 4 years or so.
(June 23, 2018 at 10:54 am)johan Wrote: Here in Southwest Michigan everyone is hiring and struggling to find/keep employees. But that's pretty much been the case for the last 4 years or so.

This area makes a lot of parts for the auto industry,  we've seen growth for a similar period (where it was pretty slow before).  However the employment shortage and uptick in expansion seems to be fairly recent.

Thanks for your input... I was just curious how things where across the board.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(June 23, 2018 at 9:17 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I was looking recently at a number of “We’re hiring” signs in the area lately.  I see post on Facebook for peoples companies who are hiring multiple positions with some even setting up some small job fair type venues.  It seems like even many restaurants and other stores are also hiring. 

We have a number of building expansions going on, and one new large plant that I don’t know how they are going to get people for.  And many of these are descent paying industrial jobs. Every one of our vendors says that things are booming. We are looking to add another engineer, either mechanical or controls (I think we will need both). We are getting a number of automation jobs, and hearing that a big part of the decision is that they can’t find people. Of course, if we do get people to come to the area, that will increase the construction industry, as they will require housing, and also increase service industries such as restraints and shopping; which we already need. 

I was curious how things are in other places (in your area)?  This is in north central PA.  We make a lot of parts, which go into assemblies for other things, so it can’t just be here.

Are you above York county?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Employment is decent around here at the moment, though it;s crap enough elsewhere that we have alot of people driving an hour and a half one way for 10 an hour.  The wifes making a decent piece of change servicing employment contracts with toyota and nestle, covering for my unreliable ass, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 23, 2018 at 11:45 am)Joods Wrote:
(June 23, 2018 at 9:17 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I was looking recently at a number of “We’re hiring” signs in the area lately.  I see post on Facebook for peoples companies who are hiring multiple positions with some even setting up some small job fair type venues.  It seems like even many restaurants and other stores are also hiring. 

Are you above York county?

Yes, Allegheny national forest.
But I have a friend who moved to Uork a couple of years ago. I’ve been meaning to take the bike down for a visit.
Wanting to hire is one thing.  Getting someone is something else.

https://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/business...iH5Qq8M3N/

Quote:Why you can’t find a plumber, electrician or AC repairman?

Quote:Post reporter Jeff Ostrowski reported on June 15 that Palm Beach County’s jobless rate, a 12-year low of 3.3 percent in May, has predictably resulted in a shortage of “middle-skilled” workers.

Mike Fage told Jeff he has had 15 plumber openings, while electrician Don Cortez said he had three openings.
Jeff quoted Cortez, the service manager at Cardinal Electric in West Palm Beach, as telling him: “It’s been very difficult to find qualified people. There’s more work than there is people right now.”
(June 23, 2018 at 9:45 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(June 23, 2018 at 11:45 am)Joods Wrote: Are you above York county?

Yes, Allegheny national forest.
But I have a friend who moved to Uork a couple of years ago. I’ve been meaning to take the bike down for a visit.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Have you ever been on the rail trail here? It runs from the city of York to the Maryland line. 21 miles long and there are fun stops along the way like an ice cream shop on the trail in New Freedom.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(June 23, 2018 at 10:42 pm)Joods Wrote:
(June 23, 2018 at 9:45 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Yes, Allegheny national forest.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Have you ever been on the rail trail here? It runs from the city of York to the Maryland line. 21 miles long and there are fun stops along the way like an ice cream shop on the trail in New Freedom.

Actually haven’t been out east much except for work. Would like to though!
There's a number of family things to do here during the summer.