Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to believe
I want to believe
This is gonna sound odd.  I want to be religious.  I want to be so ignorant that I can believe in a mystical creature in the sky that answers everything and assures eternal life.  Ignorance is bliss.  I am too much if a deep thinker to believe in that crap, but I am also grateful for this because the world is so much clearer.  Thoughts?

Sincerely yours,

Kb
RE: I want to believe
Sure, I know what you mean. I think it's the same kind of thing as wanting to be drunk all the time to forget your worries. Living in reality and being responsible is hard work.

The reason I wouldn't personally succumb to either is because my actions affect those around me, and people rely on me. (Also I couldn't believe religious crap even if I tried, I'd have to screw up my brain or something.)
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
OP, were you ever religious?
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
(July 9, 2018 at 1:02 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: OP, were you ever religious?

Yes, I was very religious until a few months ago
(July 9, 2018 at 3:01 am)kbultra Wrote:
(July 9, 2018 at 1:02 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: OP, were you ever religious?

Yes, I was very religious until a few months ago

Losing my religion was a long and unpleasant progress. There were weeks and months that i craved The certainty i felt before, and The comfort that provided. However we can't choose what we believe and don't believe. Try to keep an open mind to this new world of yours, it might pleasantly surprise you. With enough time, it did for me.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
I wonder if things can be turned around by thinking in other ways.

For example, religion mostly describes life as some sort of game, scoring points from "God", to see what result you get. Instead, life is now an experience in itself, without the headache of constant judgement from some unseen dickhead with a rule book. You can craft your own purpose rather than being handed one.

Religion generally makes promises about life being eternal. The sooner you wake up from this, the sooner you realize life is in fact limited and therefor extremely precious.

You can also study all aspects of the universe without having to worry about potential conflicts with dogma. I find everything around us to be astounding and fascinating when viewed as the result of natural processes. If instead I thought some guy had just made it all like on minecraft, I'd think they'd done a terrible job.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It's hard to be a theist, to be in an endless loop of fear and guilt.
As a theist, as far back as I can remember, I always assumed I would end up in hell.
So becoming an atheist was such a release for me.
I'm probably not that smart, but until I became an atheist, I never assumed it would be something I could just do or that it would be so easy.
That is the power of brainwashing from birth.
But to be fair, religion is only one of the things we been brainwashed by and there are plenty of atheists brainwashed by one or many other ideologies.
I forget where I was going with this.
Carry on everybody. :-)

(July 9, 2018 at 12:10 am)kbultra Wrote: This is gonna sound odd.  I want to be religious.  I want to be so ignorant that I can believe in a mystical creature in the sky that answers everything and assures eternal life.  Ignorance is bliss.  I am too much if a deep thinker to believe in that crap, but I am also grateful for this because the world is so much clearer.  Thoughts?

Sincerely yours,

Kb

Learn to be comfortable in your cognitive dissonance

And Welcome Woof.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 9, 2018 at 12:10 am)kbultra Wrote: This is gonna sound odd.  I want to be religious.  I want to be so ignorant that I can believe in a mystical creature in the sky that answers everything and assures eternal life.  Ignorance is bliss.  I am too much if a deep thinker to believe in that crap, but I am also grateful for this because the world is so much clearer.  Thoughts?

Sincerely yours,

Kb

My thoughts.

I can't relate to your situation.

I do not want to believe anything that is untrue, or most likely untrue.

Also, there are very few gods that I would even want to exist. Especially the Abrahamic god. But even more benign deities would still be benevolent dictators.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] What do you want out of life? EgoDeath 38 2215 May 4, 2019 at 10:58 am
Last Post: AgnosAtheis
  Work (they always want more) CarveTheFive 48 4408 December 23, 2018 at 8:07 am
Last Post: CarveTheFive
  What Guys Want outtathereligioncloset 30 1816 October 8, 2018 at 10:58 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  You guys want to do this? Foxaèr 32 3644 August 5, 2018 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist