Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you ready for the next depression?
Are you ready for the next depression?
Trump likes to play chicken, but, this time, the "die has been cast":

Quote:Tariffs Will Have Predictable Effects, Starting at the Worst Possible Time for the GOP

It tends to take economists a while to crunch all the numbers, but now various think tanks have started issuing reports on what will happen if Donald Trump sticks to his guns, tariff-wise, and it isn't going to be pretty.
In the short-term, prices will start to climb, profits will start to fall, and unemployment will start to creep back up. The impacts will be felt in some sectors of the economy more than others; for example, a can of Coke might cost a few cents more, while the price of the average new car might rise as much as $6,000. These effects will become palpable in just a manner of months, meaning that they will definitely be felt by the midterms. "We're already hearing complaints now from companies, so by the time we get to the midterms, you're going to be hearing governors, mayors, Congress complaining about jobs, about cost increases, about problems," said Carlos Gutierrez, who served as Secretary of Commerce under George W. Bush.
In the medium- and long-term, things are going to get even uglier. The nonpartisan Tax Foundation, in its report, says that the tariffs will reduce U.S. GDP by 0.47% (about $118 billion) and will lead to the loss of 364,000 jobs. The International Monetary Fund, meanwhile, says that global output would drop by $400 billion. There is also a near-universal consensus that the U.S. economy would enter a recession, and possibly even a depression.
So, as someone famous for changing policies and positions on a dime, sometimes several times in one day, will Trump really stick to his guns? It certainly looks that way. While has been inconsistent on most issues throughout his life (including which political party he belongs to), he has been obsessed with the United States' trade deficit for at least four decades. Further, his rhetoric in the past few months, and especially the past few weeks, has made clear that he understands the consequences of a trade war, and he is fine with them. It's also worth noting that even if Trump does change his mind at this point, it's likely too late. Some businesses are going to be leery of committing to new trade deals, for fear that their legs will get knocked out from under them, while others are going to stick with plans to move operations abroad as a hedge against retaliatory tariffs. So, the die has probably already been cast. (Z)

Tariffs Will Have Predictable Effects, Starting at the Worst Possible Time for the GOP
RE: Are you ready for the next depression?
But, but, but her emails!

I didn't want him in office because he leaves a trail of destruction where ever he goes. Who in the hell ever thought it would be a great idea to have a man who has filed for bankruptcy at least 4 times, sit in the highest office in this country?

Oh that's right. The republicans. Dodgy
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I'm dependent on government help, and my country will cut that before the military spending, which is more than the next 7 biggest spenders combined.

In short, no, I'm not.
Does Trump have any plan about this? Is he expecting that all those companies will suddenly open their factories in US after the tariffs? In the end the companies hold the patents to stuff, so maybe he could go all the way. You know like dismember the rights to patents (he's already in war with WTO) and open national US factories that will produce iphones, tablets, computers, gaming consoles, cars, nikes, software like Windows etc. So that everything becomes national property and everybody works for the government.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(July 22, 2018 at 8:57 am)Joods Wrote: But, but, but her emails!

I didn't want him in office because he leaves a trail of destruction where ever he goes. Who in the hell ever thought it would be a great idea to have a man who has filed for bankruptcy at least 4 times,  sit in the highest office in this country?

Well this was a long time in the making. 36 years of Reagan's failed deregulation and "trickle down" which should be called "flood upwards" economics.
(July 22, 2018 at 8:57 am)Joods Wrote: But, but, but her emails!

I didn't want him in office because he leaves a trail of destruction where ever he goes. Who in the hell ever thought it would be a great idea to have a man who has filed for bankruptcy at least 4 times,  sit in the highest office in this country?

I have always imagined what it is going to be like when some government official goes to the federal courthouse in DC to file bankruptcy on behalf of the United States government.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 1450 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Which Trump will be next on the ticket? Fake Messiah 13 731 January 22, 2021 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why I Might Watch The Next 'Debate' BrianSoddingBoru4 28 1521 October 22, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  What do you think is Trump's next move? WinterHold 42 1621 October 8, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anyone else ready for our first gay president? Foxaèr 121 8005 May 22, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Nukes: post your imagined scenario of the next war WinterHold 46 3127 February 24, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Maybe Kavanaugh will be the next liberal SCOTUS judge?? Jehanne 10 1307 October 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Should Hilary Run In The Next Election (The Unbiased Version) Amarok 67 9249 July 25, 2018 at 9:51 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The WLB's Next Supreme Court Pick? Minimalist 0 443 March 15, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FBI Director: Russia will work harder for next election Foxaèr 22 3640 October 6, 2017 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Joods