Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you anything like your parent(s)?
Are you anything like your parent(s)?
Your online persona does not count, unless it perfectly mirrors your real life persona.

As for me:

I was not raised knowing my mother and even as an adult I never met the woman or interacted with her enough via any methods to properly get to know her.

As for my father, I am nothing like him.  He is an outgoing, charismatic individual who can charm anyone socially, but that is the face he shows the public.  In private, at home, he is a mentally unhinged and verbally abusive alcoholic who gets black-out drunk on a regular basis.  He must be genetically blessed, because his liver has not failed him yet.

As for me, my public persona is that of a shy introvert with permanent resting bitch face, due to finding it more comfortable to never smile, who tends to be perceived as stuck up or standoffish when in fact I am the nicest, kindest person you will ever meet.  My private persona, which only my boyfriend and cat sees, is slightly more outgoing and (according to the boyfriend) crazy.

Your turn.
RE: Are you anything like your parent(s)?
My father's earnestness and practicality, my mother's mental illnesses and occasional somatic illnesses. That's what I can think of at the top of my head.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Yes, I wouldn't expect anything else. 

And no, I wouldn't expect anything else.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Biologically I am similar to my father.
Outlook in life and how I treat others is not.
At 18, I saw him for what he was - like Neo saw the matrix guys
(I made it my mission in life to be the exact opposite to him)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
They say that others know us better than we know ourselves. On that basis, I'll plead the fifth.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'm not as much like my father as I wish I was.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
No.  Neither one.
According to a thing about him on classmates.com I am like y-donor, whom I never met in that I like science fiction. Not much to base anything else on.

I don't think I'm too much like my mother.

So even though this is the case for me, I'm reminded of:

lol if you aren't familiar you'll probably miss the part of the lyrics I'm talking about.
My father and mother both had traits that I lack and wish I had, at the same time, they both had traits which I know I have but wish that I lacked.

It's said that the intensity of our disturbance at the behaviors of our parents stems from our recognizing something of their behavior in ourselves of which we are uncomfortable. I think that's largely true, and it's a sad fact of life that we're more often reminded of the way we are like our parents in ways that we wish we weren't than reminded of the ways we are like our parents that we might enjoy. That latter half tends to be largely invisible to us, and we can't help but take it for granted.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Nothing like the Y-donor. I hope.

No idea about Mom, but we shared the same evil sense of humor, so probably somewhat.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask me anything FrustratedFool 31 1910 August 30, 2023 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Anyone know anything about smoke detectors? Brian37 37 1999 November 8, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2086 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 910 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
  Pro Humble Brag - Parent Edition. The Grand Nudger 26 2049 March 15, 2020 at 1:02 pm
  What Was Your Sex Education Like? Jade-Green Stone 30 2602 October 21, 2018 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Ask me anything Lucanus 41 3890 August 21, 2018 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  How do you like your ribs? Foxaèr 22 1550 May 28, 2018 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Describe your body type and the ideal body you would like. The Valkyrie 34 4333 May 4, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Things "you" post that "you" like Foxaèr 11 1937 March 24, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama