Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cadet Bonespurs: The Military Genius!
Cadet Bonespurs: The Military Genius!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/28/world...ion=Footer

Quote:Newest U.S. Strategy in Afghanistan Mirrors Past Plans for Retreat

Quote:WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is urging American-backed Afghan troops to retreat from sparsely populated areas of the country, officials said, all but ensuring the Taliban will remain in control of vast stretches of the country.

Quote:The withdrawal resembles strategies embraced by both the Bush and Obama administrations that have started and stuttered over the nearly 17-year war. It will effectively ensure that the Taliban and other insurgent groups will hold on to territory that they have already seized, leaving the government in Kabul to safeguard the capital and cities such as Kandahar, Kunduz, Mazar-i-Sharif and Jalalabad.

The retreat to the cities is a searing acknowledgment that the American-installed government in Afghanistan remains unable to lead and protect the country’s sprawling rural population. Over the years, as waves of American and NATO troops have come and left in repeated cycles, the government has slowly retrenched and ceded chunks of territory to the Taliban, cleaving Afghanistan into disparate parts and ensuring a conflict with no end in sight.

When he announced his new war strategy last year, Mr. Trump declared that Taliban and Islamic State insurgents in Afghanistan “need to know they have nowhere to hide, that no place is beyond the reach of American might and American arms.”
RE: Cadet Bonespurs: The Military Genius!
Meh. God bless 'em. I think it's probably best that Afghanistan find its own way in the world, now that the immediate goal of muting Al-Qaeda is behind us.

As for terrorism, the Middle East seems a perennial breeding ground which I would rather not become a preoccupation of American foreign policy. I have, for better or worse, resigned myself to the notion that terrorism is just an inevitable and unavoidable fact of modern life. I may not like that fact, but I see no good way to avoid it. Certainly not by regularly invading countries, engaging in nation-building, the setting up of unwanted puppet regimes, and the continued investment in military solutions.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
But...but...but... it was just about a year ago that Cadet Bonespurs told us all about his plan for defeating the Taliban.  How could such a stable genius have fucked up so badly?

https://wgntv.com/2017/08/22/5-key-piece...stan-plan/

Quote:5 key pieces of President Trump’s Afghanistan plan

I think he's full of shit.
(July 28, 2018 at 6:07 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Meh.  God bless 'em.  I think it's probably best that Afghanistan find its own way in the world, now that the immediate goal of muting Al-Qaeda is behind us.

Agreed.  Americas foreign policy has been WAY too focused on military interventionism and most of it is largely unnecessary, especially since the cold war is over and there are no significant threats to America.  I can't help but think, if Americas military and European interests weren't so involved in middle east politics, it's entirely possible that they wouldn't hate us all so much over there and 9/11 might never have happened.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buy the new US military rifle before the troops get them onlinebiker 35 1931 April 25, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The last US military planes have left Afghanistan, marking the USA longest war. WinterHold 22 1579 August 31, 2021 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  M Flynn suggest military in swing states.... Brian37 52 1859 December 21, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  So the way to honor our military is to do what? Brian37 9 1123 November 19, 2018 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  US Military Budget Just Increased By Another 100 Billion...Media Silent ReptilianPeon 23 3472 August 5, 2018 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Will Cadet Bonespurs Lead Them In Person? Minimalist 17 1740 April 6, 2018 at 7:53 pm
  The Stable Genius is an Unstable Bullshitter Minimalist 0 279 January 10, 2018 at 9:56 pm
  Here's an asshat that really knows how to disrespect the military and veterans Jackalope 35 3690 October 13, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  No Trans In The Military Says Trump Amarok 314 60163 August 9, 2017 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Breaking News: US Missile Strikes Against Military Targets Inside Syria A Theist 128 25778 April 17, 2017 at 2:01 am
Last Post: dyresand