Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Doppler Effect in Time
The Doppler Effect in Time
In space, the Doppler Effect lengthens the wave length of things moving away from us and shortens the wave length of things moving toward us.

But it seems to have the opposite effect on time, or at least our perception of time if there is such a thing as time outside what we perceive. When events move away from us (slipping into the past), the time seems to have gone quickly. How many times have we said “I can’t believe it’s been ten years. Seems like it was only yesterday.” But when events move toward us (future), they seem to be far off. “Do you mean I have to wait ten days to get paid?”
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The Doppler Effect in Time
The Doppler effect holds for waves. An event in the past or future is not a wave.
Not talking about the events themselves but our perception of them in timespace. The past is time moving away, but instead of stretching as space does, time shrinks. Using the ant/rubberband model, space can be seen as a wave that stretches/red shifts as it moves away. Time is not separate from space. so it, too, is a wave.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

Perception is not a constant, but since perception isn't an accurate reflection of the reality of time, this fact is of no consequence.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(August 3, 2018 at 9:14 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: In space, the Doppler Effect lengthens the wave length of things moving away from us and shortens the wave length of things moving toward us.

But it seems to have the opposite effect on time, or at least our perception of time if there is such a thing as time outside what we perceive. When events move away from us (slipping into the past), the time seems to have gone quickly.  How many times have we said “I can’t believe it’s been ten years. Seems like it was only yesterday.” But when events move toward us (future), they seem to be far off. “Do you mean I have to wait ten days to get paid?”

I bet in school, and exams that are moving towards the observer arrives far sooner than almost everyone might think based on the supposition that future approaches at the same rate as the past departs.

The same would be true of other unpleasant things bearing inexorably down upon you from the future. Lay offs, bills due, ex-spouse coming to pick up the child, etc.
(August 3, 2018 at 9:14 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: In space, the Doppler Effect lengthens the wave length of things moving away from us and shortens the wave length of things moving toward us.

But it seems to have the opposite effect on time, or at least our perception of time if there is such a thing as time outside what we perceive. When events move away from us (slipping into the past), the time seems to have gone quickly.  How many times have we said “I can’t believe it’s been ten years. Seems like it was only yesterday.” But when events move toward us (future), they seem to be far off. “Do you mean I have to wait ten days to get paid?”

Death appears all too near on the horizon, as does the day when my boy will leave my house to start his adventures while I wind down on mine.

I think it depends on the emotional value that different events have.  I would imagine a prisoner doesn't feel like the ten years he's served went by in the blink of an eye.
(August 3, 2018 at 7:57 pm)bennyboy Wrote:

Death appears all too near on the horizon, as does the day when my boy will leave my house to start his adventures while I wind down on mine.

I think it depends on the emotional value that different events have.  I would imagine a prisoner doesn't feel like the ten years he's served went by in the blink of an eye.
This is what I was thinking, too.

It isn't constant that the past feels like only yesterday, and the future seems to stretch on forever.  It varies massively.

constantly.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Wait till the dementia kicks in.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Perception depends on people.... and that can really fuck up the process.
(August 3, 2018 at 12:12 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Perception is not a constant, but since perception isn't an accurate reflection of the reality of time, this fact is of no consequence.

Perception comes into play in both time and space. The stars moving away from us don't actually turn red, so red shifting is not an objective reality. Something about the star moving away from us makes us perceive red.

n objective reality, a car moving away from me makes exactly the same sound as a car moving toward me, but because of the Doppler Effect, I perceive it differently.

The same is true of time. Ten years is ten years. whether coming or going, but time seen through the lens of memory is perceived differently than time seen through the lens of anticipation. It's all relative.

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Doppler Effect...... Brian37 25 1338 May 4, 2021 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Doppelgänger Effect..... BrianSoddingBoru4 0 291 May 2, 2021 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1716 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  mandela effect Marsellus Wallace 65 6425 July 13, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  A side-effect of global warming. Jehanne 16 2610 June 4, 2016 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Unruh Effect little_monkey 0 548 July 7, 2013 at 11:41 am
Last Post: little_monkey
  Relativistic Doppler Effect little_monkey 3 1070 June 10, 2013 at 9:49 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Sir Isaac Newton Time life magizines "Greatest scientific thinker of our time" franca 6 5849 October 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman