Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humanism [Split]
Humanism [Split]
Sorry, but Humanism is so fucking confusing, I can't help but ask.

Wait, your a "humanistic jew"

EXPLAIN!
RE: Hello
LMAO, you just noticed? Some minion you are! I ought to demand you come over here for punishment!

Someone happened to send me a link some time ago that randomly contained a brief explanation of humanistic judaism in it. The bullets in the first part of the wiki page are basically how I've always identified with Judaism, though not always publically. I never had gone looking for an actual "term" to define what I felt, since in Judaism you're pretty much considered always a Jew when born into it...if you don't believe in God, you're mostly considered a 'lost one'. It wasn't until I saw that link that I had a name to put to it.

Unfortunately, I'm not much of one to ascribe to the more congregational aspects of it...mostly because I'm a moody solitary wench and don't play well with others on a large-group basis.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Yes please Smile

So you're like Chomsky, Judaism is a culture with religion tacked on the side and the two are easily(?) separated?
(December 15, 2010 at 10:29 am)theVOID Wrote: Yes please Smile

So you're like Chomsky, Judaism is a culture with religion tacked on the side?

Er...sure...lol, I'm not really knowledgeable about philosophy (YET!) so I couldn't compare without a little research, but from my own standpoint - yes. Although I'd say that the culture evolved because of the religion, and then they both sort of took a life of their own.

I suppose one of the easiest examples to give would be the "culture of learning" that people raised in Jewish households are "subjected" to, or encouraged in. Learning is highly esteemed - there is no idea that you should just accept what your rabbi tells you...or even your parents. You are indeed allowed to question, to argue and debate (Hey, Abraham argued with God, right?) The stereotype of Jews becoming doctors or lawyers or other professions that require inordinate amounts of schooling isn't around for no particular reason. That's not to say that there aren't obviously many intelligent non-Jews...but you never hear about any Jewish 'rednecks' do you?
btw, Voidikins...when are you going to tutor me in all these philosophical matters?
RE: Humanism [Split]
That's true, no Jewish rednecks that i know of Tongue

No absolutism from the 'pulpit' (or whatever the Jews call it)? That's really cool. Perhaps I shouldn't let Schmeuley Boteach (he is as much of a whiny sleazy ass as his name suggests) taint my image of the Rabbi so much.

So what exactly do you believe/practice as a humanistic Jew?

Voidikins... I like it Wink Come hop a flight to NZ and i'll give you a big sloppy load of my philosophizing.

But seriously, just go get a bunch of (e-)books from some of the legends like Russell, Kant, Chomsky etc - I started with "Why i am not a Christian" and went from there, but I think that Russell's "A history of western philosophy" would be a better starting point.

I also needed a serious amount of boredom and a bag of weed, though this constraint doesn't affect everyone.
(December 15, 2010 at 11:09 am)theVOID Wrote: So what exactly do you believe/practice as a humanistic Jew?

Did we address this in chat? No, I think you were more concerned with whether or not my delicate skin could bear the irritation of metal handcuffs. hehe.

Do you want to know what *I* believe/practice, or other humanistic Jews? I've never met others, I couldn't tell you. Me personally, I think the Torah is a bunch of Aesop's Fables. I believe that science and secular history are ever so much more amazing and interesting than anything I ever learned at a synagogue, and I try not to "practice" any of the rituals when I can help it, though I have to participate to keep the peace in certain situations. It's a source of interesting history, folklore and cultural quirks to me. And above all that, "A morning glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books."

(December 15, 2010 at 11:09 am)theVOID Wrote: Voidikins... I like it Wink Come hop a flight to NZ and i'll give you a big sloppy load of my philosophizing.

My throne is here...although it IS summer where you're at... Besides, you said you didn't like to talk. Wink

(December 15, 2010 at 7:02 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I think you were more concerned with whether or not my delicate skin could bear the irritation of metal handcuffs. hehe.

I am all ears. Angel Cloud
(December 15, 2010 at 9:42 pm)Chuck Wrote: I am all ears.

People should spend more time in the AF chat room. Wink
(December 15, 2010 at 9:54 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: People should spend more time in the AF chat room. Wink

I'm almost always working when I pop in there for a half a second. I typically jump in, intend to hang out and then get lost in research. I usually don't remember I intended to hang out there until I go to close my browser. Sad I'm easily distracted by work.

(December 15, 2010 at 11:09 am)theVOID Wrote: But seriously, just go get a bunch of (e-)books from some of the legends like Russell, Kant, Chomsky etc - I started with "Why i am not a Christian" and went from there, but I think that Russell's "A history of western philosophy" would be a better starting point.

A History of Western Philosophy is a most excellent book if you want do like a Philosophy 101 course. Also It is quite funny at times as well as informative.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25959 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
Heart Humanism shadow 10 2639 March 14, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: shadow
  Humanism Kingpin 29 4846 August 27, 2015 at 6:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Humanism as I see it xpastor 7 2237 January 3, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: xpastor
  Heartless Humanism? mralstoner 3 2648 January 2, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Is Atheistic Humanism the ideology of the Anglo-Sphere? theyear12013 14 5542 January 2, 2014 at 1:30 am
Last Post: theyear12013
  [split]Atheism is based of ignorance. Sword of Christ 158 41927 November 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  [split] Definitions of Atheism Atheist(KM) 14 3565 April 19, 2013 at 2:22 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I don't understand what exactly Secular Humanism is pop_punks_not_dead 7 3540 February 22, 2013 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Why Atheism and Secular Humanism are Failed Philosophies TheReal 110 31329 December 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: JollyForr