Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] A thought experiment...
A thought experiment...
You invite ten people (good friends who live near each other)  to posh resorts, widely separated and expenses fully paid. You don't tell any of them that the others are on similar holidays. The resorts are "primitive", no electronic communications of any kind. During the course of their stay you ask each of them when they last saw the others. They all give you the same date/time/location.

Do you believe them?
RE: A thought experiment...
Am I asking when they saw each other before the stay or when they last saw each other during their stay (when they were disconnected from the outside world)?
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(October 21, 2019 at 7:08 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You invite ten people (good friends who live near each other)  to posh resorts, widely separated and expenses fully paid. You don't tell any of them that the others are on similar holidays. The resorts are "primitive", no electronic communications of any kind. During the course of their stay you ask each of them when they last saw the others. They all give you the same date/time/location.

Do you believe them?

EDIT, sorry, missed the red "Serious"/.
I experimented with thought. It didn't work out.
(October 21, 2019 at 7:08 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You invite ten people (good friends who live near each other)  to posh resorts, widely separated and expenses fully paid. You don't tell any of them that the others are on similar holidays. The resorts are "primitive", no electronic communications of any kind. During the course of their stay you ask each of them when they last saw the others. They all give you the same date/time/location.

Do you believe them?

Depends on date/time.
Is this a riddle?

There's not enough information to give an answer.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 22, 2019 at 7:24 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: There's not enough information to give an answer.

Boru
If you were asked when your family got together* last, would you be able to give date?

This is going somewhere, but I don't expect it to develop quickly. Please feel free to ignore if so inclined. I won't waa-waa.

*as a general term

Do you believe them?

They had drinks at the airport when they left and speculated where you got the money....

They suspect criminal endevour...
Yes, because clearly the last time they all saw each other was a significant event with a specific time. People don't have enough forethought to say "Hey, we don't want ___ to know when we saw each other last. So let's agree upon a specific date and time and location we saw last in case she asks us and keep our stories straight."
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 790 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  A Thought On Oral Sex BrianSoddingBoru4 28 1676 September 22, 2018 at 12:26 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A thought on hummus, actually. Mr.Obvious 24 990 September 19, 2018 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1126 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  A thought on Homosexuality Amarok 44 2791 September 19, 2018 at 1:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A thought on asexuality I_am_not_mafia 9 1076 September 18, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A thought on heterosexuality Foxaèr 6 831 September 18, 2018 at 10:41 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Guiding Thought for My Life: Think Your Own Thoughts Rhondazvous 3 1122 April 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How would you respond? (A social experiment) Foxaèr 53 5714 March 24, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I'm sick of religious binary thought! ignoramus 23 4844 August 23, 2017 at 5:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus