Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
email notification question
email notification question
So I signed up for email notification in the settings options  but is this the same as getting  email notification of the threads I've participated in or what?  Over at TTA I was notified via email  when someone responded to a thread I was in.   Is that what this is?
RE: email notification question
If you are subscribed to the thread you should get a notification whenever someone responds to it. Otherwise you can also see threads you’ve posted in under “My Posts” and you will get an alert whenever someone quotes you. Smile
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(September 25, 2018 at 8:53 pm)Losty Wrote: If you are subscribed to the thread you should get a notification whenever someone responds to it. Otherwise you can also see threads you’ve posted in under “My Posts” and you will get an alert whenever someone quotes you. Smile

Thanks.  I hadn't subscribed to any of the threads I guess.   I don't think we had to do that over at TTA.  I always got email notifications all the time just by replying.
Dancefortwo---you must have had that set to automatically email you (at TTA). I think I did that at first but the number of emails I got was so overwhelming that I changed my settings.

I love the "alerts" feature here. It is the first thing I always check.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
Thread / Forum Subscriptions are actually kinda disabled, or at least should be. It's costly to have email notifications for things like threads, given how often people post in them. Our email service has a limit of 2000 emails a day, and that should be reserved for things like password resets, PM notifications, etc.

Luckily we have an Alerts system (https://atheistforums.org/alerts.php) which should tell you whether people have quoted you, etc. You can also use the "New Posts" link in the forum header to view any threads which have been posted in since you were last here.
(September 25, 2018 at 9:48 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Thread / Forum Subscriptions are actually kinda disabled, or at least should be. It's costly to have email notifications for things like threads, given how often people post in them. Our email service has a limit of 2000 emails a day, and that should be reserved for things like password resets, PM notifications, etc.

Luckily we have an Alerts system (https://atheistforums.org/alerts.php) which should tell you whether people have quoted you, etc. You can also use the "New Posts" link in the forum header to view any threads which have been posted in since you were last here.

Thanks Tiberius! Actually, I'm kind of afraid to log out because I'm afraid I won't be able to log back in. Others have had problems with this. At some point I'll log out and see what happens.
(September 25, 2018 at 9:58 pm)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 9:48 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Thread / Forum Subscriptions are actually kinda disabled, or at least should be. It's costly to have email notifications for things like threads, given how often people post in them. Our email service has a limit of 2000 emails a day, and that should be reserved for things like password resets, PM notifications, etc.

Thanks Tiberius! Actually, I'm kind of afraid to log out because I'm afraid I won't be able to log back in. Others have had problems with this. At some point I'll log out and see what happens.

What problems have people been having exactly? I know there was a case of someone being detected as a spammer, but that only happens at registration.
(September 26, 2018 at 12:23 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(September 25, 2018 at 9:58 pm)Dancefortwo Wrote: Thanks Tiberius!  Actually, I'm kind of afraid to log out because I'm afraid I won't be able to log back in.  Others have had problems with this.  At some point I'll log out and see what happens.

What problems have people been having exactly? I know there was a case of someone being detected as a spammer, but that only happens at registration.

Oh, maybe that's what it was.  Nevermind.  Pretend I didn't say anything.
(September 26, 2018 at 12:46 am)Dancefortwo Wrote: Oh, maybe that's what it was.  Nevermind.  Pretend I didn't say anything.

We don’t just pretend you didn’t say anything. That’s not how it works here. You said it. Now we have to go in damage control mode. Fuck.

"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Email Login RoadRunner79 0 664 October 2, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Spam Email kimsland 7 3117 March 9, 2016 at 10:04 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Forgot my password and no email giving it back? bambi_swag 13 2636 October 8, 2015 at 3:03 am
Last Post: Violet
  Email Alerts Muad·Dib 4 1897 July 18, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Notification when someone quote my post Marsellus Wallace 9 2272 March 31, 2015 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Change of Email Problem Vox Populi 1 1288 March 28, 2015 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Notification for replies Tea Earl Grey Hot 5 2067 December 30, 2012 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Not getting email notifications Ben Davis 5 2603 March 6, 2012 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Ben Davis