Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Requires Women on Corp Boards by law.
California Requires Women on Corp Boards by law.
"By the end of July 2021, a minimum of two women must sit on boards with five members, and there must be at least three women on boards with six or more members."

Gov Brown states "...recent events in Washington, D.C. — and beyond — make it crystal clear that many are not getting the message."

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-c...story.html#

I fail to see the logic other than misguided forced diversity. This is not something that should be legislated. Maybe I'm just a C. Pig.

What say you?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: California Requires Women on Corp Boards by law.
The first argument against it is: "The best person should be hired for the job, regardless of their race or gender." Of course that ignores the fact that many positions (especially at this level) is more about who you know, rather than what you know, so I'd venture to say that the best person for the job isn't being hired with or without this regulation. In addition, I don't doubt that there are many qualified women being passed over because of their gender. How much does that happen? Does it warrant action like this? I have no idea.

In the end, the women who would be placed in these positions are soulless bloodsuckers who see people as dollar signs just like the men who would be hired so... fuck it.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Quote: "The best person should be hired for the job, regardless of their race or gender."

The last election demonstrated that no one believes that idea!

And I doubt that Fredo Trump and his siblings got their jobs because they are the best and brightest!
To drive home the point.

In the long term I think the much more damaging shortcomings of the typical American corporate board structure is the lack of representation by intimately affected economic and social interest groups other than equity holders, not the lack of sexual diversity.

Addressing sexual diversity is only a step in the right direction if it is not a bandaid intended to forestall more consequential reforms.
The problem with trying to remove the glass ceiling with a hammer is the broken glass shard that falls beneath. It's a case of damn if you do and damn if you don't. Without such measures, homophilia fuled discrimination will continue and hold back women's achievements. With them, people will belittle women as incompetants who got their jobs thanks to politics and not their talents. Social changes necessary to achieve gender equality can no longer rely mostly on legislation changes like it used too during the second wave. The movement needs a social revolution in modes of thinking and culture. The changes needed are deeper and more complex.
(October 1, 2018 at 5:26 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: "The best person should be hired for the job, regardless of their race or gender."

The last election demonstrated that no one believes that idea!

And I doubt that Fredo Trump and his siblings got their jobs because they are the best and brightest!

I agree. We obviously aren't getting the best and the brightest with the current system.

The other thing about people who say "it should just be about it being the best person." That's true, but I think the best people are fairly evely distributed across demographics. Yet board rooms are made up of most old white guys. So obviously we aren't getting the best people otherwise you would just naturally see more diversity.

Nobody can seriously believe that old white guys are just so fucking great they should be just most of board rooms. Or that they are soover represented in the congress. They are 250% higher portion of white men in congress than in the general population. Not 25% more, which might be excusable, but 250% more. If we were to take the 500 best, smartest people in the country for congress, I'd say it would probably be split 50/50 male female and pretty close on racial demographics to what the regular country is and be way more evenly divided by age as well. It sure as fuck wouldn't be 65% old white dudes. This law might force companies to hire better people, rather than just croneyism. Of course it's all hypothetical.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Quote:I agree. We obviously aren't getting the best and the brightest with the current system.

If they are out there they are not seeking the nomination.
What bullshit.

I'm all for making sure hiring practices are not sexist. But I don't support having separate slots in roles that discriminate.

I think the logic is supposed to be that if there aren't many/any women doing a job, then the hiring practices are sexist. This is not necessarily true. It may be that women just don't generally want to do that job, or that those that do don't happen to be as good at it as the men who apply.

An absence of women may give grounds to investigate for sexist hiring practices; but you don't eliminate sexism with more sexism.

Fuck all this forced diversity. As my hero Noel Plum point out: no one is trying to make sure lots of men go into nursing. They don't give a shit.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
We should absolutely have more women, but not like this
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trans women banned from world chess LinuxGal 37 2840 October 15, 2023 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  MA publishes database of law enforcement disciplinary actions Nanny 0 412 August 22, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Women's Rights Lek 314 18368 April 25, 2023 at 5:22 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  California about to be the first state to administer reparations!s Huggy Bear 77 3781 April 3, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Break any law if it’s for Jesus Fake Messiah 0 141 March 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] G-20 leaders, don’t forget the women’s rights advocates rotting in Saudi prisons WinterHold 47 2132 September 23, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  This from the California Tourism Board. Gawdzilla Sama 74 5335 September 21, 2020 at 12:19 pm
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2356 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Damned Women BrianSoddingBoru4 26 2168 December 19, 2019 at 6:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Garlic festival shooting: Three dead in Gilroy California zebo-the-fat 30 3142 August 1, 2019 at 9:09 pm