Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irony 'R' us
Irony 'R' us
China’s Leaders Confront an Unlikely Foe: Ardent Young Communists

"Since President Xi took power in 2012, the party has sought to restrict the use of Western textbooks and stop the spread of “Western values” on campus, referring to ideas about rule of law and democracy that could undermine its hold on power.

At the same time, Mr. Xi has demanded that universities expand their teachings on Mao and Marx. In May, he visited Peking University and encouraged students to promote Marxism, saying it was important for the university to “take Marxism as its surname.”

But some in the party seem uneasy about the proliferation of student groups devoted to Marxism and Maoism, apparently worried that their calls for greater economic equality and worker rights could undermine China’s modern-day embrace of capitalist markets."
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
RE: Irony 'R' us
Such sweet, sweet, irony! Clap
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
An object lesson, I think, in being very careful what you teach your children.

They may just believe you, then grow up and hold you to your own standards.
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
(October 2, 2018 at 6:37 pm)Dr H Wrote: China’s Leaders Confront an Unlikely Foe: Ardent Young Communists

"Since President Xi took power in 2012, the party has sought to restrict the use of Western textbooks and stop the spread of “Western values” on campus, referring to ideas about rule of law and democracy that could undermine its hold on power.

At the same time, Mr. Xi has demanded that universities expand their teachings on Mao and Marx. In May, he visited Peking University and encouraged students to promote Marxism, saying it was important for the university to “take Marxism as its surname.”

But some in the party seem uneasy about the proliferation of student groups devoted to Marxism and Maoism, apparently worried that their calls for greater economic equality and worker rights could undermine China’s modern-day embrace of capitalist markets."
It's ironic considering the Chinese communist party has never remotely been Marxist
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When Irony Is Too Good To Ignore BrianSoddingBoru4 13 2791 July 8, 2019 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  For the irony impaired onlinebiker 14 2242 November 26, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Amarok
Wink The Irony Here Is Overwhelming Minimalist 0 387 June 20, 2018 at 1:11 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Irony Is Palpable Minimalist 2 366 March 20, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Irony Thy Name Is Trump Minimalist 10 1163 November 8, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Irony In Stock Trading BrianSoddingBoru4 2 559 July 4, 2017 at 8:55 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Good. I Love The Irony Minimalist 19 4951 May 23, 2017 at 3:46 am