Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How (possible) Political Censorship Hides our Quirkiness
How (possible) Political Censorship Hides our Quirkiness
Considering the source some skepticism is warranted; however, given recent public statements by Google executives the content is at least plausible:

In summary, an internal Google memo suggests that some in the company consider it desirable to censor and/or steer search results for the good of the body politic. Here is a line from the article that makes me cringe:
"Google-owned YouTube now promotes so-called “authoritative sources” in its algorithm."

Breitbart Article

Of course, the initial reaction is to see this through a political lens. And there is much to be said about that. But frankly I'm rather tired of politics lately. My main question is this.

Have recent obsessions with politics warped search engine results making the internet less interesting for other things?

More and more I have started to use Duck Duck Go for searches. Mostly, because Google hasn't been taking me into the deeper parts of the web to draw out information on obscure topics that interest me. IMHO the internet used to be a tool for finding the quirky things and highly specific information. Lately, I seem to be getting more 'authorized' mainstream sites instead of the unconventional sources I find more interesting and often more informative about niche topics like historic oil painting mediums or Swedenborg studies.

I'm more interested in hearing about the AF members exploring the unique interests that make them more human and more interesting. Perhaps some could share websites that don't show-up on the first page of search results but have been a go-to source for years. Here are some of mine:

Oil Painting Mediums: Tad Spurgeon
Swedenborg Studies: Correspondences
Matta Fan Site: MATTA
<insert profound quote here>
RE: How (possible) Political Censorship Hides our Quirkiness
Random unconventional news and routine dose of cuteness (a bit like boredpanda and buzzfeed): http://justsomething.co/
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Is a limited nuclear exchange possible? Angrboda 20 1186 April 21, 2022 at 10:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  U.S. reviews 9/11 documents for possible release WinterHold 59 3265 August 15, 2021 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Gavin Newsom - Political Skunk onlinebiker 1 389 September 24, 2020 at 7:53 am
  Saudi Arabia: Leaked reports reveal severe abuse of political prisoners-The Guardian WinterHold 6 1112 April 13, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  What is the effect of political ads, particularly negative ones? Angrboda 12 663 September 28, 2018 at 5:45 pm
  Possible cat 4 to hit my area Thurs. Brian37 136 10976 September 23, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Political Commentator Ed Schultz Is Dead A Theist 11 1696 July 9, 2018 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Major political win for lunatic Christian judge Roy Moore Foxaèr 9 1174 September 29, 2017 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Possible Islamic suicide bombing prevented. paulpablo 23 8948 June 23, 2017 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Court Jester
  Trump vows to destroy the law limiting churches' political activity Aegon 39 4280 February 5, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Amarok