Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:02 am

Poll: Is a limited nuclear exchange possible?
This poll is closed.
Yes (describe conditions, if any)
20.00%
2 20.00%
No.
50.00%
5 50.00%
Not sure.
10.00%
1 10.00%
Fuck all polls.
20.00%
2 20.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Is a limited nuclear exchange possible?
Is a limited nuclear exchange possible?
Let's examine four scenarios:

a) Russia uses a nuke to level an important Ukrainian city?

b) Russia uses a nuke on an eastern NATO country, let's assume Poland? (can be tactical nukes)

c) Russia or China uses a nuke to level a lower population U.S. city as a warning?

d) Russia begins using tactical nukes indiscriminately in Ukraine?

Are all of these likely to escalate into total nuclear annihilation, or is it more likely one side or the other will halt the escalation.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Is a limited nuclear exchange possible?
(April 3, 2022 at 10:51 am)Angrboda Wrote: Let's examine four scenarios:

a) Russia uses a nuke to level an important Ukrainian city?

b) Russia uses a nuke on an eastern NATO country, let's assume Poland?  (can be tactical nukes)

c) Russia or China uses a nuke to level a lower population U.S. city as a warning?

d) Russia begins using tactical nukes indiscriminately in Ukraine?

Are all of these likely to escalate into total nuclear annihilation, or is it more likely one side or the other will halt the escalation.

I think the most likely outcome to any of those would be a tit-for-tat exchange of nukes, followed by a de-escalation - Russia nukes Gdańsk, NATO nukes Belgorod, then it’s done.

No one wants a full-scale nuclear war. Not Putin, not Kim, not Xi. No one. Why? Because it’s bad for business.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not sure. I'd like to agree with Brian, but the possibility of it spiraling out of control seems fairly significant.

All it takes to have a thoroughly fucked up situation is to add humans.

"Yes we can! Yes we can!"
Is Biden even in the loop regarding a strike on the U.S.? I wonder if they have standing orders.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 3, 2022 at 1:30 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Is Biden even in the loop regarding a strike on the U.S.?  I wonder if they have standing orders.

My understanding when I was in the service was that our alert bombers could be launched for preparatory orbiting based on HQ USAF orders, but that positive offensive orders were based on "football" codes. I would imagine that with the missile forces the protocol was similar, that forces under command could be alerted and prepped, but that a football code was required to actually turn the keys.

That implies to me that the President must be involved in the final decision.

Yes, but I'm not convinced I'd want to live in the aftermath, at least not for very long.

Fuck, time to buy more ammunition.

[Image: maxresdefault-1.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 3, 2022 at 2:29 pm)brewer Wrote: Yes, but I'm not convinced I'd want to live in the aftermath, at least not for very long.

If they do have one - I would prefer a front row seat at ground zero.

Smile for the flash.
(April 3, 2022 at 2:32 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(April 3, 2022 at 2:29 pm)brewer Wrote: Yes, but I'm not convinced I'd want to live in the aftermath, at least not for very long.

If they do have one - I would prefer a front row seat at ground zero.

Smile for the flash.

I think you'd need to move, fall out boy.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 3, 2022 at 2:35 pm)brewer Wrote:
(April 3, 2022 at 2:32 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: If they do have one - I would prefer a front row seat at ground zero.

Smile for the flash.

I think you'd need to move, fall out boy.

I just need to plant the field to read "Putin is a needledick" to get my very own MIRV targeted here......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nuclear missiles in Cuba? Jehanne 28 905 April 5, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  U.S. reviews 9/11 documents for possible release WinterHold 59 3239 August 15, 2021 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Israel and Palestinians exchange rockets Fake Messiah 5 476 May 12, 2021 at 7:28 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  German Nuclear Power Phaseout Alex K 22 1616 January 31, 2021 at 8:41 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  US selling nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia Cepheus Ace 32 1864 April 4, 2019 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  BREAKING: First Images of Saudi Nuclear Reactor Show Plant Nearing Finish WinterHold 0 280 April 3, 2019 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  How (possible) Political Censorship Hides our Quirkiness Neo-Scholastic 1 262 October 10, 2018 at 10:38 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Possible cat 4 to hit my area Thurs. Brian37 136 10679 September 23, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Joods
  So COOL! We need a 4th leg to the Nuclear Triad !! vorlon13 9 1166 January 24, 2018 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Nuclear Launch Order May Be Disobeyed AFTT47 25 2467 November 20, 2017 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger