Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most (and least) trustworthy news sources.
Most (and least) trustworthy news sources.
What would you guys say are the most and least trustworthy news sources? I tend to source my news from Google news, and I normally read the same story by 3 different news sources to see the different spin. My personal favorite news is Vice. I think they give a very raw look into events.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Most (and least) trustworthy news sources.
I love Vice as well.

I like NPR and the NYT (non opinion), and the newswires for raw news.

The worst sites: RawStory, MSNBC, Fox News, Breitbart for both sides.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Most trustworthy.
ABC News Australia.
SBS News Australia.

(August 2, 2018 at 8:30 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: What would you guys say are the most and least trustworthy news sources? I tend to source my news from Google news, and I normally read the same story by 3 different news sources to see the different spin. My personal favorite news is Vice. I think they give a very raw look into events.

I think corporate owned news media does need to do less punditry and more reporting. Having said that, there still are plenty of mom and pop newspapers and local TV stations that have objectivity. 

But when you compare Fox with CNN or MSNBC, while opinions are stated on all of them, FOX is the most misleading and lies far more than any other network.

I do warn the Fox staff though, if they continue to give a bullhorn to a bully, and 45 destroys the free press, he will eventually go after them too.

Fox is a mouthpiece for those afraid of change. America's history went from slavery, and denial of women voting, to ending segregation. Journalism played a roll in that progress. But now we have a leader who has repeatedly vilified migrants, knowing that Ivana admitted to a fake marriage to ultimately getting to America. He has shit on war heros, shit on his own INTEL, even yesterday, even after several of his own staff repeated what we've known for 2 years now, went out and shit on them by calling it a "hoax". 

All he has is the sell of fear and bigotry. And vilifying the watchdog press is dangerous in a seat of political power.

If Fox and CNN want to go after each other, that is the private sector. If a viewer wants to complain about a story being inaccurate, also, that is the private sector. It is dangerous for a President to attack the institution of journalism in such a blanket manor.

The staff at Fox would be stupid to think, because they agree with conservative economics that they'd be safe.

Paraphrasing A famous quote from WW2  "First they came after.........group, another group, another group, and another, then they came after me."

I am horrified to see the Press Secretary refuse to condemn 45's comment about the press he keeps repeating. This is no game, this is not an episode of Jerry Springer. His words hold weight and people will act on his vilification, and when the first journalist is murdered because of his vile rhetoric, he should be put in prison.

I've said many times, I'd be happy if he merely stepped down. I have changed that position. His rhetoric is anti American, he is not merely telling it like it is. He is a bully and only doing this to avoid any challenge to his power.
I like CNN, even though they go way over the top when it comes to Trump.

‘Breaking news! Trump misspelled ‘counsel’ in a tweet for the FOURTH time in his presidency!’

Come on, guys. If there isn’t a lot going on with 45 today, you can report on something else. People will understand.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
It is not possible to go over the top on the WLB.

CNN does a fine job.

I prefer the Times and Washington Post.  TV News never does anything in enough depth.  And the constant commercials are annoying as hell.

FOX is for morons.
(August 3, 2018 at 9:12 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: I like CNN, even though they go way over the top when it comes to Trump.

‘Breaking news! Trump misspelled ‘counsel’ in a tweet for the FOURTH time in his presidency!’  

Come on, guys.  If there isn’t a lot going on with 45 today, you can report on something else.  People will understand.

Yea it sucks when Acosta cant get a condemnation of Sanders, asking the White House to tell the President to stop vilifying the free press is soooooooo "Over the top".

Who the fuck needs a free press?
(August 3, 2018 at 11:49 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 3, 2018 at 9:12 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: I like CNN, even though they go way over the top when it comes to Trump.

Come on, guys.  If there isn’t a lot going on with 45 today, you can report on something else.  People will understand.

Yea it sucks when Acosta cant get a condemnation of Sanders, asking the White House to tell the President to stop vilifying the free press is soooooooo "Over the top".

Acosta challenging Sanders wasn’t the example I used.  Can you focus, please? I like you, Brian. But, you’re borderline hysterical like, 95% of the time.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(August 3, 2018 at 12:21 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(August 3, 2018 at 11:49 am)Brian37 Wrote: Yea it sucks when Acosta cant get a condemnation of Sanders, asking the White House to tell the President to stop vilifying the free press is soooooooo "Over the top".

Acosta challenging Sanders wasn’t the example I used.  Can you focus, please?  I like you, Brian.  But, you’re borderline hysterical like, 95% of the time.

No, do not confuse passion for facts, and standing up to bullies as being the same as being a bully.

Trump is hysterical. Trump is the bully. Me saying "fuck you" to the bully does not make me the same.

If you must know, I have thanked Sheppard Smith for going against his own network. Not enough, but he has.  And when the CNN reporter was kicked out of the press pool this week, even the Fox reporters defend her.

What I am talking about in reality is that even our so called and falsely labeled "liberal media" is still ultimately owned by economic conservatives. 

I don't care what the  business is, and I include network and cable news. The CEOs are like any other industry, their job is to attract advertisers and shareholders to get the entity to grow.

My challenge is ALSO to CNN and MSNBC and ABC AND NBC AND CBS and not just Fox. 

Not the journalists themselves, other than the challenge to put facts before the profits of the company. I do still side with CNN and MSNBC and ABC and NBC and CBS, as far as their staff. I am still questioning the conservative CEOs regardless.

Trump isn't saying "fake news" to point out corporate media strive for the buck. He is doing it to challenge any power to his position.
(August 2, 2018 at 9:17 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: I love Vice as well.

I like NPR and the NYT (non opinion), and the newswires for raw news.

The worst sites: RawStory, MSNBC, Fox News, Breitbart for both sides.

This is a good list.

I would add that I like BBC because it gives a different (non American) perspective on a lot of stories.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4027 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CBS and CNN caught faking evening news. Drich 42 3399 October 26, 2019 at 7:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Indonesian Tsunami death toll at least 800 CapnAwesome 2 391 October 1, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 528 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  C-130 crash kills at least 5 in GA c172 1 471 May 2, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Breaking news: Tiangong-1 landed in Tokyo and surrounding areas I_am_not_mafia 15 2327 April 1, 2018 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Elementary School Shooting in California -- At least 3 dead Divinity 56 5645 November 17, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Harvey and a "fake news" reporter..... Brian37 33 8103 August 28, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  And The Trumptards Shall Shriek "Fake News!" Minimalist 29 10639 June 25, 2017 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  American Airlines...At Least They Didn't Throw Her Out Of The Hatch Minimalist 27 7021 June 14, 2017 at 10:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13