Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God is not the answer
God is not the answer
God, and religion by association, is not the answer.

I'm going to beat this horse some more, because it bears reminding for those who prefer reason over delusion.

Religious people in power have a tendency to oppress others in the name of god.  It's a historical fact.  There's absolutely no denying it.  For some ridiculous reason, many religious people have this unwarranted persecution complex when they are unable to control the lives of others.  They feel this destructive desire to inform others on how to live.  It creates this madness in their minds that makes it literally impossible for them to discern their actions as unholy zeal.

If god was the answer, no doubt god would be the one to make any necessary changes personally.  Religious people delusionally relying on apologetic arguments for divine inspiration shows nothing more than a gullibility toward false comfort.  God does not work through anyone.  What we see is religious men working through the inability to approach reality accordingly while accepting belief on mere ignorance.
RE: God is not the answer
'Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.' - H.L. Mencken

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It's the easy way out for many who will never question it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 24, 2018 at 8:46 am)wyzas Wrote: It's the easy way out for many who will never question it.

I'm doubtful there's any religious person who has never had a doubt in question to his/her faith.

What I understand is that there are people who become entirely too uncomfortable and illogically fearful of a self-reliance sans god.
(October 24, 2018 at 8:50 am)Kit Wrote:
(October 24, 2018 at 8:46 am)wyzas Wrote: It's the easy way out for many who will never question it.

I'm doubtful there's any religious person who has never had a doubt in question to his/her faith.

What I understand is that there are people who become entirely too uncomfortable and illogically fearful of a self-reliance sans god.

If they doubt/deny and are open about it they face consequences in most religious societies. It's easier to go along to get along. 

Yea Pascal.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 24, 2018 at 7:56 am)Kit Wrote: Religious people in power have a tendency to oppress others in the name of god.  It's a historical fact. 

Were there atheists in power that didn't oppress others?
(October 24, 2018 at 8:55 am)wyzas Wrote: If they doubt/deny and are open about it they face consequences in most religious societies. It's easier to go along to get along. 

Yea Pascal.

I was involved in one of the strictest denominations: Pentecostal. The pastor himself mentioned it was a healthy part of faith to have doubt. The religious reasoning, I later learned, was merely a psychological trick. Religious indoctrination, after all, is purely psychological. Most people don't like to be told what to believe. Inform them they can't have doubt, you'll end up losing followers. Inform them that they can have doubt, while also informing keeping them abreast of other biblical nonsense, and you hook them. In time, their doubt fades, however, because why should they doubt when it's perfectly okay to doubt? The trick is in recognizing the doubt, but not fully supporting or feeding it, because then they would become atheists instead of devoted religious followers.

(October 24, 2018 at 9:02 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote: Were there atheists in power that didn't oppress others?

If you have names, you're more than welcome to provide them.
What was the question?
Formerly Old Man Marsh of TTA

"Don't let those gnomes and illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions."
--Jake the Dog
(October 24, 2018 at 10:13 am)Schwa Wrote: What was the question?

There doesn't have to be one.  The great thing about a discussion is that one can infer from someone else's response how to respond accordingly without a single question having been asked.
Huge list of suicide victims contains a lot of non believers, because most of theists have hell idea. So, there are perks for being a believer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer Foxaèr 431 125918 August 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Our theists of all labels please answer.... Brian37 92 12243 April 25, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Brian37
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 17 3826 November 29, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 18 4019 November 28, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  I've never gotten a good answer to.... Brian37 23 5662 October 23, 2016 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The Consistent Asshole Answer to Every Problem Minimalist 3 1841 June 17, 2016 at 9:37 am
Last Post: tacebotedo
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 15594 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Share Your Untestimony: Prayers that God didn't Answer Rhondazvous 81 21183 November 3, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The Answer is - The Greeks Minimalist 16 3210 January 27, 2015 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Questions to answer polar bear 20 3540 October 26, 2014 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Losty