Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire TV advice, please.
Fire TV advice, please.
Fire TV users, tell me about it, please.
RE: Fire TV advice, please.
Never heard of it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Amazon's streaming service.
I've never tried Amazon's device, but I went with a Roku instead because they are more popular, comparable in price, and for the device I chose featured an ethernet port. Which Fire device are you considering?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 1, 2018 at 3:33 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I've never tried Amazon's device, but I went with a Roku instead because they are more popular, comparable in price, and for the device I chose featured an ethernet port.

I guess I need a reliable site for side-by-side comparisons?
You must have missed my edit. I asked which Fire TV device are you considering? Looking at a comparison between the Fire TV stick and the Roku stick, a site gives a slight advantage to the Amazon device, but it's close. Some things you might consider: Fire TV uses Alexa for its hands-free navigation, which is superior to the voice search supported by Roku; the Roku will search for content across multiple services, I don't know about the Fire TV; IMHO, the remote for the Roku is better than that for Fire TV, but YMMV.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Thanks. I appreciate help.
Roku sounds gooder.
I have three Fire TV devices, two of the original square devices, and my new Fire TV 4K stick.

I'll talk about the Fire TV 4K stick because it's probably the one you'll end up looking at. You just plug it into an HDMI port on the TV and power it on. If you have an Amazon Prime account, it will automatically provide you with Prime TV content. You can also download apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc. if you have those subscriptions. There are thousands of apps, and also subscription channels that you can add to your account which gives you access to more content.

If you go with the 4K stick over the regular Fire TV, you'll also get the new remote, which is Alexa enabled and allows you to search via voice better than the older model. It also has power and volume control buttons which the old remote doesn't have.

If you already have an Alexa device (like an Echo Dot) you can pair that with the TV stick and use the Echo Dot to control the TV just by using your voice, no remote needed.

What else did you want to know about it?
Any gotchas that need money to fix?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Sought for Web Programming AFTT47 13 3277 April 4, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Need Some Advice (New Phone) Cleo 5 1344 February 19, 2015 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Please give me link voting english website A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 4 1566 December 24, 2013 at 2:29 am
Last Post: A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c
  kindle fire hd versus nexus 7 popeyespappy 3 1332 October 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Advice for MacBook Pro problem? Tiberius 7 3368 February 2, 2012 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jaysyn