Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you're an Atheist, what comforts you?
If you're an Atheist, what comforts you?
I'm someone in transition who's pretty close to being an atheist, so I would not suggest that atheists have nothing to live for or some of the other ignorant ideas people have about atheists. Just wanted to get that out of the way. 

That said, I am having a lot of depression and anxiety that, back when I was a believer, I'd be coping with by praying. Now prayer is out, so I wanted to ask a general question: 

What brings you comfort when life is hard? I'm especially interested in any book recommendations or videos that I can turn to repeatedly when times are tough. They don't have to be by atheists or about atheism. Any secular source will do. 

thanks
I said to the sun, tell me about the Big Bang.
The sun said, 'It hurts to become.'

~Andrea Gibson
RE: If you're an Atheist, what comforts you?
(November 2, 2018 at 4:06 pm)Dragonfly Wrote:  

What brings you comfort when life is hard?

Probably support from friends and family are important for most people, but I've never been most people.

For me, I find comfort in the non-human mundane; such as playing a video game.
I take comfort from the fact that we are all in the same boat, regardless of what we believe.
In other words we're all fucked.

Book: The Great British Pub Guide.
(November 2, 2018 at 4:06 pm)Dragonfly Wrote: What brings you comfort when life is hard? 

Meditation, mindfulness and knowing that the religious are wrong. 

The thought that tomorrow can be different. 

I know it sounds stupid but gratitude lists sometimes work.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Gravy.

Talking to my wife.

Talking to my wife about gravy.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Friends and family.

Pets.

Hobbies.

Exploding nuns.

Babyques (with gravy).
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 2, 2018 at 4:10 pm)Kit Wrote:
(November 2, 2018 at 4:06 pm)Dragonfly Wrote:  

What brings you comfort when life is hard?

Probably support from friends and family are important for most people, but I've never been most people.

For me, I find comfort in the non-human mundane; such as playing a video game.

My family is composed of fundamentalist Christians, even my extended relatives, so they are no comfort. I'm working on making more secular friends, but don't have many, and making new ones is taking a while. This is part of the reason I was hoping for comforting book.

(November 2, 2018 at 4:21 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(November 2, 2018 at 4:06 pm)Dragonfly Wrote: What brings you comfort when life is hard? 

Meditation, mindfulness and knowing that the religious are wrong. 

The thought that tomorrow can be different. 

I know it sounds stupid but gratitude lists sometimes work.

Any particular form of meditation that helps you? Or is that what you meant--mindfulness meditation? 

I don't think the gratitude lists are stupid at all.

~Andrea Gibson
Maybe look back and realise that when god was giving you strength and comfort, you were really giving it to yourself. You deserve the credit for everything you’ve done.

I recommend animals and meditation.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts. Completely changed my perception of the world around me, and it is something I routinely reread in difficult times. He also has plenty of lectures on YouTube.

Some may not be receptive to his words, as some consider his writings should fall under the category of "truisms"; though I'd disagree with that. Hes also been lumped in with New Age, but he isn't. He essentially interprets ancient Eastern philosophy for a Western audience. And hes a brilliant writer and orator.

I follow both a Stoic and Taoist (surprisingly similar) philosophy that shapes my actions and words.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(November 2, 2018 at 4:49 pm)robvalue Wrote: Maybe look back and realise that when god was giving you strength and comfort, you were really giving it to yourself. You deserve the credit for everything you’ve done.

I recommend animals and meditation.

I've thought of that, but even a crutch gets leaned on. Animals and meditation: I have two pets, and they do help. Any particular form of meditation that has helped you?

(November 2, 2018 at 5:02 pm)Aegon Wrote: Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts. Completely changed my perception of the world around me, and it is something I routinely reread in difficult times. He also has plenty of lectures on YouTube.

Some may not be receptive to his words, as some consider his writings should fall under the category of "truisms"; though I'd disagree with that. Hes also been lumped in with New Age, but he isn't. He essentially interprets ancient Eastern philosophy for a Western audience. And hes a brilliant writer and orator.

I follow both a Stoic and Taoist (surprisingly similar) philosophy that shapes my actions and words.

Sounds worth checking out! Thanks for the recommendation. The book certainly has many good reviews.

~Andrea Gibson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 6997 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist