Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was sin necessary for knowledge?
Was sin necessary for knowledge?
Will post my thoughts later. Wanted to get the first thread in the new forum!
RE: Was sin necessary for knowledge?
(November 16, 2018 at 1:57 pm)John V Wrote: Will post my thoughts later. Wanted to get the first thread in the new forum!
Can you be more specific? I know that God commanded Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, so they had that knowledge not to do so. Are you asking if sin was necessary for the spreading of knowledge in all areas like, science, medicine, i.e.?
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
I'll have to get to this later on today. Time for my workout!
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
@OP Q
I don't think so, no.  God is contended to be both sinless and omniscient.  This state of affairs would strongly suggest that there is no requirement of sin, for knowledge.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 16, 2018 at 2:12 pm)A Theist Wrote:
(November 16, 2018 at 1:57 pm)John V Wrote: Will post my thoughts later. Wanted to get the first thread in the new forum!
Can you be more specific? I know that God commanded Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, so they had that knowledge not to do so. Are you asking if sin was necessary for the spreading of knowledge in all areas like, science, medicine, i.e.?

A common atheist complaint is that:

- knowledge is generally considered to be good, but
- A&E could only gain knowledge of good and evil by sinning.

I'm working from the common, but not universal, position that before the snake tempted them they were naive - neither righteous nor sinners.

They sin. Note that they don't just get knowledge of evil through sinning - they get knowledge of both good and evil, even though they hadn't done good.

So, if doing one gives knowledge of both, it stands to reason that doing good - rejecting the snake's temptation - would have likewise opened their eyes to both good and evil.

Also consider the angels. Using the common Christian position that the snake, Lucifer, Satan, the dragon in Revelation, etc. are all references to the same being, we see that:

- Lucifer was tempted internally, succumbed to the temptation, and went to evil (Isa 14)
- He tempted A&E, and they fell
- He probably tempted the other angels, and a third of them fell (Rev 12:4)
- Two thirds of the angels did not fall

It seems clear that the godly angels did not sin, yet they apparently have knowledge of both good and evil.

So, A&E could have gained the same knowledge by rejecting the snake as they got from eating the fruit.

(Note that this is speculative and has nothing to do with God's foreknowledge. I believe God knew that they would fall. The point is that theoretically that wasn't the only way for them to gain knowledge of good and evil.
-were the order reversed, I can see a much stronger argument to be made.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Surely that just means that sin was only necessary to obtain knowledge of good and evil, not knowledge itself.

Didn’t Adam name all the animals? That implies he had the knowledge to do such a thing.
Genesis, the beginning, Tree of Knowledge, original sin.

It is a common theme in religion that knowledge equates to sin.  Why?  Because knowledge of the truth outside of religion conflicts with theistic interpretation.

As is the case with any interpretation, one must weigh the realistic against the fictitious.

We could go the route of spending pages determining what "sin" is.  Even knowledge.

Sin is as subjective to the theist as beauty is to anyone.  Not all theists consider something to be sinful.  If sin is subjective, then one's opinion of what one considers sinful can be ignored by anyone with a different subjective opinion.

Knowledge, however, is as objective as the fact that a rock is a rock.  Knowledge has been convoluted by theists for an impure agenda, but in the end academic, empirical knowledge is distinguishable from subjective misunderstanding.

Sin, after all, is merely conceptualized misunderstanding.  Sin is what someone dislikes and has decided to consider sinful.  A sinful act goes against no one except the individual it personally offends.

Knowledge is not sinful. It is rather arbitrary to forbid knowledge.
(November 16, 2018 at 2:38 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Surely that just means that sin was only necessary to obtain knowledge of good and evil, not knowledge itself.

Didn’t Adam name all the animals? That implies he had the knowledge to do such a thing.

Yes, this regards moral knowledge only. They had language, so they had knowledge. Maybe more knowledge than we have today, but of different sorts - but that's another discussion.
It seems as though moral knowledge would be required to sin, though, and this has implications both for the garden narrative and the notion that humans are inescapably sinful creatures by nature.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Explain This #1: Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 23 3160 January 16, 2018 at 6:55 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peanut Gallery Thread for Explain This #1: Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 22 3693 January 12, 2018 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Lately, there has not been much need for me to provide my knowledge Foxaèr 5 1427 June 16, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  No DHS necessary Rokcet Scientist 21 6354 March 20, 2012 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist