Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science - Seeking Answers to History's Mysteries
Science - Seeking Answers to History's Mysteries
While religion just offers the same old fucking claptrap over and over!

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/...r-be-alive

Quote:Why 536 was ‘the worst year to be alive’

Quote:Ask medieval historian Michael McCormick what year was the worst to be alive, and he's got an answer: "536." Not 1349, when the Black Death wiped out half of Europe. Not 1918, when the flu killed 50 million to 100 million people, mostly young adults. But 536. In Europe, "It was the beginning of one of the worst periods to be alive, if not the worst year," says McCormick, a historian and archaeologist who chairs the Harvard University Initiative for the Science of the Human Past.

A mysterious fog plunged Europe, the Middle East, and parts of Asia into darkness, day and night—for 18 months. "For the sun gave forth its light without brightness, like the moon, during the whole year," wrote Byzantine historian Procopius.

Doubtless some fucking monk was praying for it to stop!
RE: Science - Seeking Answers to History's Mysteries
Was it Volcanic ash or something? What do the experts think was the cause...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I thought the same thing initially.

But it's described as a fog, which doesn't seem to fit a volcano.
Dying to live, living to die.
Sulfates emitted by volcanos is well documented to produce a “dry fog”.

The large eruption of Laki in Iceland in 1783 caused similar widespread dry fog across Europe and shortening of growing season.  The privation caused is thought to have contributed to the French Revolution in 1786.

I think it is now well established that the 536 climate event coincides with a very large Plinian volcanic eruption at Ilopango Caldera in El Salvador, comparable in size to the 1814 eruption of Tambora volcano in Indonesia that caused the “year without summer”.   In addition, there was also another very large effusive volcanic eruption in Iceland between 536-540 of the type that would produce dry fogs in Europe, which may have prolonged and increased the effect.

It has long been strongly suspected the 536 event was volcano driven, but it has been puzzling that an eruption large enough to have done this could remain unidentified.  But as it turns out the Ilopango eruption was known, but has long been misdated to 440.   However recently published carbon 14 dating of trees destroyed during that eruption places the eruption at precisely 536 CE.
Thanks Chuck... You've always been the go to man for this stuff...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
You guys beat me to it. Sounds distinctly like a volcanic eruption. A southeast Asian eruption gave New England a year without a summer. I can't recall the date, but it was devastating.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2.../84855694/
Thank you. I probably should've Googled, but I'm pretty lazy.
I see the hand of God in action here.
Jerkoff

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Great Man approach to history still have use? FrustratedFool 45 2304 December 6, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Most notorious badass in history? Fake Messiah 67 3690 September 7, 2023 at 6:39 am
  Is history best forgotten? MarcusA 0 321 August 18, 2023 at 12:56 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  The biggest scandal in history Fake Messiah 23 1518 August 14, 2023 at 8:32 am
Last Post: no one
  Want to know WW2 history? Brian37 12 1682 June 13, 2023 at 9:57 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Who was the worst Christian in history? Fake Messiah 29 3670 February 28, 2023 at 1:38 pm
  History is for suckers. brokefree 13 1338 September 2, 2021 at 10:45 pm
  The Bilble the oldest living form of written history we have jasonelijah 37 4022 April 22, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Presidential history. Brian37 16 1176 January 4, 2021 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Raven about Polls ..... History or myth? Brian37 9 1252 October 14, 2020 at 8:41 am