Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Defense of Scientific Naturalism
Great Defense of Scientific Naturalism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0pjFr_vS5U
undefined
RE: Great Defense of Scientific Naturalism
The sad part is that the creationist will get more views on YouTube. But honestly... he has a childish way of thinking if anything!
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Indeed, Thunderfoot is one of a number of excellent atheist youtubers who use things like 'facts' and 'science' to make the case against supidity (like young earth creationism.)

Case and point:
The thunderfoot - Ray Comfort Discussion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2FskTKrx...re=related
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Yes, but the problem Thunderf00t has is when he goes offbeat and tries to talk about things other than science. He also likes to brag about how he is a supporter of free speech, and yet rarely answers any of his critics.
(January 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Yes, but the problem Thunderf00t has is when he goes offbeat and tries to talk about things other than science. He also likes to brag about how he is a supporter of free speech, and yet rarely answers any of his critics.

I... don't see how this has to do with anything, but okay.
I don't see what 'rarely answers critics' has to do with 'supporting free speech.'
Which is to say that I don't understand how one supports or contradicts the other.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
He supports his own free speech, which involves levying accusations of other people, and yet when they respond to his accusations, he ignores them, and in some cases repeats the accusation again. It's his hypocritical behaviour that I was getting at.

In the first video where he actually physically appeared, he explained that he hadn't done so before because he didn't want people to use his appearance as some kind of arguing point against him, claiming he didn't like that sort of behaviour. Then when he started responding to HowTheWorldWorks, he constantly (and I mean, constantly) referred to the guy as "Sir Stares-a-lot", as well as other insulting terms.

To request that people not use certain language against himself, and yet use it against others isn't in support of any kind of free speech that I know of.
(January 1, 2011 at 8:11 pm)Tiberius Wrote: He supports his own free speech, which involves levying accusations of other people, and yet when they respond to his accusations, he ignores them, and in some cases repeats the accusation again. It's his hypocritical behaviour that I was getting at.

Ah. I see.
I don't know enough about this behavior to make an informed opinion, I'm merely a fan of several of his videos, such as the ones linked above, so I know little about this subject matter.
He may (or may not) very well be a hypocrite but I still don't see how this has anything to do with the idea of free speech, which I define essentially as the ability to speak as one will. He hasn't inhibited anyone else's free speech for anything or against anything - including himself.
Assuming what you're saying is true, he makes accusations and doesn't respond to criticism, but he's not inhibiting their right to make those accusations. He simply chooses not to enguage his critics.

I should also note that I don't really consider "request that people not use certain language against himself" as an inhabition against free speech.
Well, I do need to clarify that because, in the most technical sense of the term, I suppose it is but I view it as the same thing as asking people not to overuse curse words or namecalling or to lie. It doesn't really count in my book to a certain extent.
Now, if he frequently disabled comments and ratings at youtube or something akin to that so people couldn't rate or comment on his videos, then sure but I'm not aware of any regular attempts to do so outside the likelyhood that he may have had to remove comments from youtube trolls.

Lack of a response to people is simply a lack of a response.

Some famous atheists refuse to debate certain creationists. Let's rag on them too for hypocrisy.
(January 1, 2011 at 8:11 pm)Tiberius Wrote: To request that people not use certain language against himself, and yet use it against others isn't in support of any kind of free speech that I know of.

Surely he is free to speak hypocritically though? Even if such behaviour is disapproved by the vast majority of people? Isn't the right to hypocritical speech part of free speech?

And if hate speech isn't part of free speech - is hypocritical speech really hate speech?
Let me just say: I have recently subscribed to Thunderf00t and have enjoyed all of his videos so far... what the fuck are you all whining about?
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A great movie that you have (probably) not seen! Jehanne 11 2056 October 19, 2017 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Great News for Mysties Minimalist 1 848 April 17, 2017 at 4:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  DUST - great scifi shorts Aoi Magi 3 542 March 5, 2017 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Watched a great show & NDE Foxaèr 2 594 January 28, 2017 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  In Defense of Dixie. The Grand Nudger 10 1154 October 10, 2016 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Great video series. Jehanne 0 624 February 5, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Great Darwinian Poster lambsalmon 0 684 June 1, 2014 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: lambsalmon
  Breaking Bad: How great was it? Belac Enrobso 31 6113 January 1, 2014 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: Belac Enrobso
  Thread of great videos CleanShavenJesus 10 2486 August 24, 2013 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Great Austrialian youtube documentary channel Something completely different 0 917 July 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Something completely different