Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help unzipping old zip files
Help unzipping old zip files
I've got 6 floppy disks, that's right floppy disks, with a single zip file that spans all 6 disks. They probably date to around 1991. Each disk has a single file with the same file name (filename.zip) with the exception of the 6th disk which also has the PKUNZip executable.

Anybody remember the command syntax to unzip these files?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: Help unzipping old zip files
(December 18, 2018 at 4:03 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: I've got 6 floppy disks, that's right floppy disks, with a single zip file that spans all 6 disks. They probably date to around 1991. Each disk has a single file with the same file name (filename.zip) with the exception of the 6th disk which also has the PKUNZip executable.

Maybe you can email support at winzip. The worst they can do is not answer.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 18, 2018 at 4:11 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(December 18, 2018 at 4:03 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: I've got 6 floppy disks, that's right floppy disks, with a single zip file that spans all 6 disks. They probably date to around 1991. Each disk has a single file with the same file name (filename.zip) with the exception of the 6th disk which also has the PKUNZip executable.

Maybe you can email support at winzip.  The worst they can do is not answer.

Actually PKZip is still around. It says they invented the format. I was kinda saving them for a last resort though. It looked like the kind of place that charges for answers.
Have you tried and gotten errors? It's been a long time but the thing I remember is that you have to start with the last disk and it will then prompt to insert the first one (it needs to read the directory info from the end of the zip file before it can start). If you google "pkunzip command line" there are a number of sites with info on the options.
PKzip?... wow...

Doesn't WinZIP or the "free" version of WinRAR help with those disks? I'm assuming you have a floppy drive, of course Tongue
The first thing I would do is get the files off the floppies!

Put all six files on a usb or harddrive, make a backup and then play around with various unzipping progs.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 18, 2018 at 4:31 pm)unfogged Wrote: Have you tried and gotten errors?  It's been a long time but the thing I remember is that you have to start with the last disk and it will then prompt to insert the first one (it needs to read the directory info from the end of the zip file before it can start).  If you google "pkunzip command line" there are a number of sites with info on the options.

This may be what I'm looking for. I was trying to start with the first disk, this would make sense since the executable is on the last disk.

Still need to figure out the syntax to tell it where to unzip them to though.
Definitely don't work with the originals. Put all the files in one directory on a computer built this century.
(December 18, 2018 at 4:47 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Definitely don't work with the originals. Put all the files in one directory on a computer built this century.

If the files all have the same name, that may be difficult.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Your " mortal enemies list" Sheldon??

Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test if a ZIP is infected FlatAssembler 21 2229 June 11, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Generating WAV files FlatAssembler 8 1059 May 4, 2020 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Can't unzip a bunch of files: Oldandeasilyconfused 4 2072 May 23, 2012 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Multi Language Subtitle Files Darwinian 2 1170 April 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Darwinian