Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Book From Childhood
Favorite Book From Childhood
Just curious as to some of your favorite books from childhood. Mine would have to be "Where The Red Fern Grows."  I remember reading it in the seventh grade for my reading class.  I had to stay home sick one day and I must've read through the entire book. To me it was inspiring how Billy wanted something so bad that we worked for it, and the theme is constant through the entire book.  From walking a long distance to pick up his hounds to keeping his promise to them if they treed a coon.  Anyway, not going to go on about it too much, or I might start crying.  I would go hug my two hounds by I'm not in the mood for getting dog slobber on me right now. Smile
RE: Favorite Book From Childhood
Coriolis: de stormplaneet (trans: The stormplanet)

Scifi book told through THE eyes of a catLike alien coming into contact with humans who crashed on her world. A world spinning so fast that there is an always present heavy blow of wind in THE same direction.for different reasons, they must travel THE world together.

Found it recently on my e-reader for a euro and a half or so. Great nostalgia.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
"The Once and Future King" by T.H. White or "A Land Remembered" by Patrick D. Smith. We read the latter in 7th grade. I remember it being the first "real" book we ever had to read for a class. Historical fiction about Florida from the 1850s-1950s. I don't remember much about it but I remember it fondly.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(December 22, 2018 at 9:13 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Just curious as to some of your favorite books from childhood. Mine would have to be "Where The Red Fern Grows."  I remember reading it in the seventh grade for my reading class.  I had to stay home sick one day and I must've read through the entire book. To me it was inspiring how Billy wanted something so bad that we worked for it, and the theme is constant through the entire book.  From walking a long distance to pick up his hounds to keeping his promise to them if they treed a coon.  Anyway, not going to go on about it too much, or I might start crying.  I would go hug my two hounds by I'm not in the mood for getting dog slobber on me right now. Smile
Growing up we didn't have books really . But my grandmother use too tell me and my siblings legends and stories .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Tom Sawyer and Matilda certainly come to mind.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(December 22, 2018 at 9:48 pm)Amarok Wrote:
(December 22, 2018 at 9:13 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Just curious as to some of your favorite books from childhood. Mine would have to be "Where The Red Fern Grows."  I remember reading it in the seventh grade for my reading class.  I had to stay home sick one day and I must've read through the entire book. To me it was inspiring how Billy wanted something so bad that we worked for it, and the theme is constant through the entire book.  From walking a long distance to pick up his hounds to keeping his promise to them if they treed a coon.  Anyway, not going to go on about it too much, or I might start crying.  I would go hug my two hounds by I'm not in the mood for getting dog slobber on me right now. Smile
Growing up we didn't have books really . But my grandmother use too tell me and my siblings legends and stories .

Sometimes those are the best stories.  My mom used to tell the ones she grew up with. Other than that, we had Golden Books.  Always loved The Three Billy Goats Gruff. Smile

I don't know if they still do it, but the schools had the Scholastics Books order forms about twice a year, and that was such a big deal for the kids.
Define childhood.

Under age 12: The Hobbit
Between 12 and 16: Steal This Book
After 16: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Of course, now it's the Bible.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 22, 2018 at 10:36 pm)wyzas Wrote: Define childhood.

I meant it as subjective.  Just whatever you or anybody else felt moved by.

I loved the original "The Hobbit" cartoon as a kid, but I never bothered with the book.  When I was in college, I had to read the while LOTR trilogy in like 10 days for a summer class.  My eyeballs felt like they were going to fall out.

I've heard Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is very good.  Attempted to watch the movie, but fell asleep at the start.  Of course it was late, so no reflection on the movie. Smile
(December 22, 2018 at 10:42 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(December 22, 2018 at 10:36 pm)wyzas Wrote: Define childhood.

I meant it as subjective.  Just whatever you or anybody else felt moved by.

I loved the original "The Hobbit" cartoon as a kid, but I never bothered with the book.  When I was in college, I had to read the while LOTR trilogy in like 10 days for a summer class.  My eyeballs felt like they were going to fall out.

I've heard Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is very good.  Attempted to watch the movie, but fell asleep at the start.  Of course it was late, so no reflection on the movie. Smile

The Hobbit was a mandatory read in 5th grade and that took me into the rest of JRRT. Silmarillion is one of my favs still. 

For the other two, you needed to come of age in the late 60's and 70's to appreciate.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 22, 2018 at 10:17 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(December 22, 2018 at 9:48 pm)Amarok Wrote: Growing up we didn't have books really . But my grandmother use too tell me and my siblings legends and stories .

Sometimes those are the best stories.  My mom used to tell the ones she grew up with. Other than that, we had Golden Books.  Always loved The Three Billy Goats Gruff. Smile

I don't know if they still do it, but the schools had the Scholastics Books order forms about twice a year, and that was such a big deal for the kids.
It was the best i miss my grandmother even thou she left decades ago
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1028 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 255 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3180 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1108 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 384 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series Foxaèr 17 2014 February 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Favorite Scenes from Favorite Fiims chimp3 46 3473 February 10, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Athene
  First Children's Book to Teach the Big Bang to preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 15 3656 June 24, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So, I published my first children's book–Tori the Time Traveler Shell B 38 6079 May 28, 2017 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Shell B
  For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? Rhondazvous 51 5319 February 27, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous