Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God was behind Big Bang, pope says
God was behind Big Bang, pope says
Quote:God's mind was behind complex scientific theories such as the Big Bang, and Christians should reject the idea that the universe came into being by accident, Pope Benedict said Thursday.

Quote:"The universe is not the result of chance, as some would want to make us believe,"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40945242/ns/...e-science/

Who said anything about the universe coming into being by accident or chance? I still do find it interesting that this old fart is admitting to the plausibility of scientific theories like the Big Bang instead of rejecting it because it does not conform with his outdated fairy tale book.

Quote:The Catholic Church no longer teaches creationism — the belief that God created the world in six days as described in the Bible — and says that the account in the book of Genesis is an allegory for the way God created the world.

Wow! Did I read correctly or has a little speck of reason entered this man's head? Surely tales about talking snakes and a woman made from a man's rib sound ridiculous enough. The book of Genesis is actually an allegory to demonstrate the ignorance of men who wrote the garbage that is the bible.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Atheist I Evolved!
RE: God was behind Big Bang, pope says
Good.
Creationism is and was always an assinine concept and it shouldnt' have lasted as long as it has. Although it's a lost hope that it'll disappear completely, it's at least a baby step in the right direction for one of the many religions of the world.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Like that will stop creationists from spreading their bullshit.
Shell B;113170 Wrote:Like that will stop creationists from spreading their bullshit.

At least is not officially sanctioned bullshit, making people less likely to pull the creationist bullshit

I've seen this argument before

[Image: 20100919.gif]

Oh webcomics what have you yet to mock
That people should believe something because one authority figure said so rather than because they weighed the evidence for themselves seems to me a rather hollow victory.
"People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers." - Mythology for Profit
True...but it is the entire basis of religion.
Creationism being completely rejected (finally) by the Catholic Church is a great thing for my country, France. Catholics are the overwhelming majority of theists over there, which means that the only figure of authority is the Pope. Him rejecting Creationism makes French Creationists without any backup from their religious institutions. This is pretty great.
Rwandrall Wrote:Creationism being completely rejected (finally) by the Catholic Church is a great thing for my country, France. Catholics are the overwhelming majority of theists over there, which means that the only figure of authority is the Pope. Him rejecting Creationism makes French Creationists without any backup from their religious institutions. This is pretty great.

Most creationists are of the evangelical protestant persuasion, and so I doubt that they give any weight to anything the Pope says.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
American evangelical Protestants must be proud now then even the catholic church stands as a beacon of rational enlightenment by comparison.
Don't give the katholicks that much credit.

They're just shoehorning their fucking god in to the beginning of the process...with no evidence at all that there is any such god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islam itself says Muhammad is a liar Woah0 41 3196 August 27, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  Straight from the Pope's mouth Foxaèr 27 1915 December 20, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2452 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Jews are behind the NZ killings. ignoramus 4 1003 March 27, 2019 at 6:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Thumbs Up Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite Philos_Tone 37 4496 November 20, 2018 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7954 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why does the Pope wear such funny clothing? GODZILLA 22 3295 June 27, 2018 at 2:24 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7815 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Here are 5 big reasons why Americans are turning away from religion — according to sc Minimalist 3 1523 January 25, 2017 at 9:43 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12972 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan