Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 4:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite
Thumbs Up 
Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite
I believe eternal happiness is possible because there is no final explanation of life and death. 

You would say your parents came before you, and their parents before them. But, going back like that you can see there is no 1 beginning. This is crazy.

This gives me great confidence that the power of one body prevails to make its own permanent heaven in the afterlife.  

Taoism just scares me into thinking you have to live and die twice to sufficiently justify a permanent life doing whatever you want.

I guess I can say that a proper definition of infinity gives my theory extra strength. Space is so big, you win your little infinite dream, here and here. Haha. 

Have a great day.
RE: Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite
LR? Is that you...?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
No. Sorry

(November 18, 2018 at 11:41 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: LR?  Is that you...?

No. Sorry.
(November 18, 2018 at 11:33 pm)Philos_Tone Wrote: I believe eternal happiness is possible because there is no final explanation of life and death. 
There are lots of explanations for life and death
(November 18, 2018 at 11:33 pm)Philos_Tone Wrote: You would say your parents came before you, and their parents before them. But, going back like that you can see there is no 1 beginning. This is crazy.
It is starting to sound that way, but the very structure of a family tree ancestry points all the way from a leaf to a seed,
(November 18, 2018 at 11:33 pm)Philos_Tone Wrote: This gives me great confidence that the power of one body prevails to make its own permanent heaven in the afterlife.  
Taoism just scares me into thinking you have to live and die twice to sufficiently justify a permanent life doing whatever you want.
I guess I can say that a proper definition of infinity gives my theory extra strength. Space is so big, you win your little infinite dream, here and here. Haha. 
Have a great day.
This part I can't make any sense out of. You have a good day/night too.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Your tao is weak, and not in a good way.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
For me, Taoism states that for every good there is bad.
It's not a fight between good and evil, it just is a cycle that we can't stop nor control. It's life in a nutshell, for everything you put in, you take away alot of shit and alot of smiles. Also kind of relates to real life in the fact that if your not getting as much as you put in, why put in much at all.
Some people think Taoism is alot like Altruism, I can see it, but they are still different.

I guess the comforting thing about is the fact that this cycle explains why things are shit and why some things are great. It's just a circle and it just keeps going.
Which is why I alos like Asian's concept of time being a circle rather than a line of when your born and die. Even after you die, time keeps going, whether you like it or not.
(November 18, 2018 at 11:33 pm)Philos_Tone Wrote: I believe eternal happiness is possible because there is no final explanation of life and death. 
Welcome aboard, I'm not sure that the two things have anything to do with each other, myself.  

Quote:You would say your parents came before you, and their parents before them. But, going back like that you can see there is no 1 beginning. This is crazy.
Why is it crazy?  That is what happened, right?  

Quote:This gives me great confidence that the power of one body prevails to make its own permanent heaven in the afterlife.  
What power of the body, and what does this power prevail over?  

Quote:Taoism just scares me into thinking you have to live and die twice to sufficiently justify a permanent life doing whatever you want.
Not three times, or four? 

Quote:I guess I can say that a proper definition of infinity gives my theory extra strength. Space is so big, you win your little infinite dream, here and here. Haha. 

Have a great day.
I'm not sure how the notion of infinity, or the realization that space is big (like..really..really..really...Wink ) lends any strength whatsoever to the idea that there is an afterlife..or, if there were, that people go there.  Maybe it's reserved for chinchillas?  I mean, space is big, infinity infinity something or other, therefore chinchilla heaven, but no people heaven.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I don't give the religions of Asia a pass either. There is nothing special or unique about those either, not even Buddhism. That part of the world has also had its divisions and wars and even today those countries also have prisons too.

If you want a good book that explains where our morality as a species is coming from, "The New Atheism" by Victor Stinger, doesn't just address the omni god claims, but also compares the religions of the world to say they all claim to be the secret to morality.

That book for me, while not the first skeptic work I read, really drove home to me what I know and accept now. That our species ability to cruel or compassionate is not in old traditions, old writings or old religions, but has always been in our evolution.
I think chinchilla heaven is more plausible. They're more deserving than us.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Thats another thing I've always wondered about.  What leads us to imagine that, if there were a heaven, anyone gets there by deserving it..or that if anyone does that this is the predominantly successful way of getting in?  

That certainly doesn't seem to be the case in this world, and the places where we might want to go or be.

Every once in awhile a certain kind of believer lets that one slip..with the "it aint who you are, it's who you know" quip. When people describe their heaven beliefs they often do so in the context of desert..but a closer inspection seems to lend more credence to the idea that it's about bribing the doorman.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islam itself says Muhammad is a liar Woah0 41 3134 August 27, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11037 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything? Rhondazvous 87 7682 August 22, 2021 at 10:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Religion and Science are 1000% Opposite causal code 497 104650 October 25, 2017 at 8:04 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Religion and Science are 1000% Opposite causal code 0 445 September 13, 2017 at 1:48 am
Last Post: causal code
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7763 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12586 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond? ReptilianPeon 94 13139 December 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Dalai Lama says that terrorists have no religion Aegon 12 1743 September 28, 2016 at 2:58 am
Last Post: InsaneDane
  Money is everything Romney 12 1612 August 27, 2016 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Romney