Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We can only see 4% of the universe !
We can only see 4% of the universe !
Until this moment; we only discovered 4% of the universe:

https://www.space.com/11642-dark-matter-...panek.html

If 96% of the universe is out of our reach, sight and comprehension, then how is it so legit for a non believer to just exclude the existence of a creator 7 times bigger than the 96% ?

Isn't it identical to a blind man in a dark castle with a mere cane; who claims that they already know if the castle has a lord or not?

I'm sorry; not a "castle"; rather a "whole galaxy".
RE: We can only see 4% of the universe !
(January 30, 2019 at 10:48 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: Until this moment; we only discovered 4% of the universe:

If 96% of the universe is out of our reach, sight and comprehension, then how is it so legit for a non believer to just exclude the existence of a creator 7 times bigger than the 96% ?

Isn't it identical to a blind man in a dark castle with a mere cane; who claims that they already know if the castle has a lord or not?

This is a bit misleading as a title. It is not saying the universe has more galaxies, than, what scientists once thought meaning we used to think the Milky Way was all there was. That is not what the article is saying. The article is saying space is mostly empty, and this is hardly new.

Not knowing what makes dark matter/empty space doesn't default to the tooth fairy, unicorns or Yoda either.

What you seem to miss, is within the last couple of decades scientists have been able to calculate the volume empty space at a better and better scale. Just like one can use math to calculate the volume an empty jar can hold if you put a solid or a liquid in it.

"We don't know everything" does not default to any old mythology being true. There is lots humans DO KNOW now, and old mythology is not the way to fill in the gaps.
(January 30, 2019 at 10:48 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: Until this moment; we only discovered 4% of the universe:

I'm sorry; not a "castle"; rather a "whole galaxy".

[tedious]

You prove your claim. You won't do that by chewing on your hemorrhoids.

Yep, the more we know, the more we know that we don't know. Every question answered reveals several more questions. Studying Torah is like this. You start out thinking that you are going to master the Torah. The more you learn, the bigger the mountain of Torah that you haven't yet mastered becomes. You learn that learning humbles you.
Most people only learn popular science. What is popular science? It is science presented as entertainment that makes you think that you know all about things that you actually don't know very much about, at all. Learning that makes us arrogant isn't learning. Real learning humbles us.
There isn't anything wrong with pop science as long as we understand that it is pop science. It is only the delusion of real learning that is bad. I love pop science because it is very interesting. It's entertaining. But it doesn't actually make me anymore sophisticated than a cave man. It just makes me like a cave man that has been given a stainless steel knife by a time traveler-- that caveman will immediately become convinced that the stainless steel knife makes him more sophisticated than other cavemen who don't understand metal like he does.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
There is so much we don’t know.

And that’s it.

From what we do know, so far there is no evidence for the supernatural.

It would be dishonest to use this as reasoning that there could be a higher being, just as it would be dishonest to reason that there is NO higher being.

The honest position is, “I don’t know, but let’s find out what we can.”
Formerly Loom from TTA (rip)

~Ignorance is not to be ignored.~
(January 30, 2019 at 11:05 am)Brian37 Wrote:

This is a bit misleading as a title. It is not saying the universe has more galaxies, than, what scientists once thought meaning we used to think the Milky Way was all there was. That is not what the article is saying. The article is saying space is mostly empty, and this is hardly new.

Not knowing what makes dark matter/empty space doesn't default to the tooth fairy, unicorns or Yoda either.

What you seem to miss, is within the last couple of decades scientists have been able to calculate the volume empty space at a better and better scale. Just like one can use math to calculate the volume an empty jar can hold if you put a solid or a liquid in it.

"We don't know everything" does not default to any old mythology being true. There is lots humans DO KNOW now, and old mythology is not the way to fill in the gaps.

Quote:"The overwhelming majority of the universe is: who knows?" explains science writer Richard Panek, who spoke about these oddities of our universe on Monday (May 9) at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York (CUNY) here in Manhattan. "It's unknown for now, and possibly forever."

That's what scientists are saying; Brian. From the article above.

In Islam; God is never to be pictured or described except with what he told humans to describe him with. So the "unicorn/yoda...etc" cannot be applied but on Heathen religions; it's unfair and utterly wrong to generalize on all religions.
If 96% of the universe is outside of our capability to examine, then how can you assert that a god must exist in that 96%? You're just as in the dark as we are.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 30, 2019 at 11:26 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: If 96% of the universe is outside of our capability to examine, then how can you assert that a god must exist in that 96%?  You're just as in the dark as we are.

I use the design around me to conclude his existence.
A non-believer should do the same and admit that they are also following a mere conclusion.

And both of us should wait until God rules between us. I say he's there; you say he's not.
That is said to both believers and non-believers; btw.
(January 30, 2019 at 11:30 am)AtlasS33 Wrote:
(January 30, 2019 at 11:26 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: If 96% of the universe is outside of our capability to examine, then how can you assert that a god must exist in that 96%?  You're just as in the dark as we are.

I use the design around me to conclude his existence.
A non-believer should do the same and admit that they are also following a mere conclusion.

And both of us should wait until God rules between us. I say he's there; you say he's not.
That is said to both believers and non-believers; btw.

I don't say "God doesn't exist," I say that I an unconvinced by arguments for his existence.  You've been here for years, you should at least know the positions that most atheists take.  I don't see design in nature, so I don't use that to conclude anything about a designer.  You're making an assertion about the un-examinable 96% of the universe based on faulty reasoning, and expecting that to be compelling?  Sorry, I think you're just as ignorant about the universe as I am, only I don't go making assertions about the unknown - since it's, y'know, unknown.

If your argument is "wait for God to come prove it," then why bother making threads at all?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 30, 2019 at 11:13 am)Yonadav Wrote:

Yep, the more we know, the more we know that we don't know. Every question answered reveals several more questions. Studying Torah is like this. You start out thinking that you are going to master the Torah. The more you learn, the bigger the mountain of Torah that you haven't yet mastered becomes. You learn that learning humbles you.
Most people only learn popular science. What is popular science? It is science presented as entertainment that makes you think that you know all about things that you actually don't know very much about, at all. Learning that makes us arrogant isn't learning. Real learning humbles us.
There isn't anything wrong with pop science as long as we understand that it is pop science. It is only the delusion of real learning that is bad. I love pop science because it is very interesting. It's entertaining. But it doesn't actually make me anymore sophisticated than a cave man. It just makes me like a cave man that has been given a stainless steel knife by a time traveler-- that caveman will immediately become convinced that the stainless steel knife makes him more sophisticated than other cavemen who don't understand metal like he does.

No, the more we know, the more we can ditch old claims, regardless of what we do not know, there is lots we do know.

We do know humans have made deity/god/God claims nobody believes in any longer. 

We do know humans gap fill with all sorts of old mythology nobody believes in any longer.

There was an era where humans thought Thor made lightening and thunder. There was a time when humans thought there was an ocean God name Poseidon. There was a time when humans thought Apollo was a real God.

What science does know now, is that our species existed long before any written religion, our planet and universe are far older than our species.

If it bothers you to think of yourself as a finite blip in the universe, it should not, but while there is lots science still has yet to figure out, filling in the gaps with old mythology is not the way to answer anything.

What should frighten you to consider that humans mostly get sold the religions of their parents prior to formulating adult critical thinking skills? What should frighten you to consider that deities/god/s/God/spirits, are nothing more than our species projecting their own qualities on the world around them in superstitious forms?

Sorry, in a 13.8 billion year old universe, on a planet that has had 5 mass extinction events, and knowing our species has only been around for 2 to 300 thousand, years of earth's 4 billion year history, it is ABSURD that all that time was wasted just to put us here, and wait a mere 10,000 years to get to allowing humans to start writing things down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11057 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 5202 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9467 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Nuns are not only Christians Indir 24 2674 October 23, 2018 at 7:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Nuns are not only Christians Indir 1 494 October 19, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7398 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  Carl Sagan: A Universe Not Made For Us Minimalist 28 7281 May 6, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Crunchy
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 2913 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not? ReptilianPeon 17 3659 September 27, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Do you see any benefits to religious faith? Mudhammam 228 30648 September 22, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: bennyboy