Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not?
Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd8IWDkxMG8

I don't get it. Isn't our universe fairly simple of the largest scales? Simpler than a t-shirt perhaps? Our universe is homogeneous on the largest scales, yes? It all looks the same, dare I say - simple, whereas the average t-shirt (even ignoring anything such as dust, viruses or bacteria that may be present on it) is full of complexity: Even on/in a plain t-shirt you will struggle homogeneity and you will find loads of variety if you look closely enough. Loads of irregularities.

The irreligious man in the video responds rather well I thought, but Imran is blinded by his hatred of dissenting opinions. The irreligious man is right to say that we've only observed one universe but many t-shirts. All I would possibly add is a t-shirt can be more complex than the universe?

"The universe and a t-shirt are both physical" is another thing Imran asserts. I have no idea what that means and I've watched countless astronomy and cosmology videos in my space time. Is Imran trying to say everything in our universe is physical? I'm pretty sure that's not true - if we are defining physical as matter and anti-matter.

These Da'i, indeed most "street preachers", have a nasty habit of hurling random statements that make no sense. And their henchmen will masturbate regardless, obviously without much thought, because they love the confirmation bias such videos bring. Just look at the comments section of the video: We see loads of people who consider themselves to be better cosmologists than somebody like Stephen Hawkins.

I don't know why I continue to watch this crap. I guess the often hyperactive behaviour of these Cult of Najd people to fun to laugh at. Fortunately, I now know enough about our universe, and indeed comparative religion, not to be taken in by such nonsense.

Edit: Some believers I have respect for. Just not the one the video. He makes a good comedian, despite being so dangerous, for those with even just a passing knowledge of cosmology such as myself.

RE: Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not?
As far as I'm aware, "physical" is a synonym for "literally existent". And as such it wouldn't include the other things that make the universe what it is, such as forces and other "rules".

I would imagine that, if looked at the right way, our universe would be very simple; at least to an intelligence capable of comprehending it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Haven't seen the video yet, but a t-shirt is like most anything else in this physical universe, just a bunch of atoms, these atoms being only an extremely small selection of atoms in this universe. So with this perspective, it would seem like t-shirts are much simpler than the universe.

But from a different perspective, the t-shirt might seem a lot more complex because of how we have been evolutionarily wired to perceive objects like the t-shirt, with all its shapes and colors and such, compared to the seeming blankness of the universe (which, in my subconscious? mind, often is equalised to nothing more than outer space).
If the T was designed and manufactured by two interstellar mice, then probably not.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
[Image: stop-needless-noise-help-america-keep-calm.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I get a bit annoyed when people say there are things that aren't physical, but do literally exist. What's the distinction? I'd really like to know.

I guess the nearest I could say is some subset of things that exist which can act upon, but not be acted upon by, the rest of those things. They are some sort of existent things "above" other things. In such a case, we're just labelling the rest of the existent things physical... meaning they're not non-physical. Seems a bit silly.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 26, 2016 at 4:44 am)robvalue Wrote: As far as I'm aware, "physical" is a synonym for "literally existent". And as such it wouldn't include the other things that make the universe what it is, such as forces and other "rules".

I would imagine that, if looked at the right way, our universe would be very simple; at least to an intelligence capable of comprehending it.

So I guess our universe isn't physical and is physical at the same time. I still can't decide how complex a universe is compared to a t-shirt though. Am I over thinking this?

According to the Quran, the Earth is separate from the sky. Don't have the time to look for it now. But it's the one people think is describing the Big Bang (hint: it's not).

I don't know why I'm getting confused about such a silly thing as a t-shirt. Maybe this is their goal? To confuse people into oblivion.

wat...
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
So just watched the video. And wow, that was one patient guy. How did he do it with that loud obnoxious person in front of him?
(September 26, 2016 at 9:13 am)ReptilianPeon Wrote:
(September 26, 2016 at 4:44 am)robvalue Wrote: As far as I'm aware, "physical" is a synonym for "literally existent". And as such it wouldn't include the other things that make the universe what it is, such as forces and other "rules".

So I guess our universe isn't physical and is physical at the same time. I still can't decide how complex a universe is compared to a t-shirt though. Am I over thinking this?

According to the Quran, the Earth is separate from the sky. Don't have the time to look for it now. But it's the one people think is describing the Big Bang (hint: it's not).

I don't know why I'm getting confused about such a silly thing as a t-shirt. Maybe this is their goal? To confuse people into oblivion.

Like I said, the t-shirt is just a tiny subset (of atoms) of the universe. So unless you're looking at the unvierse as just that dark outer space, then it should be more complex than the t-shirt. Don't forget it has a variety of planets, stars, galaxies, and so on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1495 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Miracles Not In Our Favor! chimp3 18 1499 June 9, 2020 at 7:01 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Did Sai Baba deserve Nobel more than Mother Teresa? Fake Messiah 1 356 February 26, 2020 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2772 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 2811 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9402 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Baphomet more American than 10 Commandments Foxaèr 13 1418 August 22, 2018 at 9:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Carl Sagan: A Universe Not Made For Us Minimalist 28 7218 May 6, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Crunchy
  The universe existing as a byproduct of God? T.J. 89 8384 June 29, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why Zeus is more real than the Christian God.... maestroanth 4 1797 May 5, 2016 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah