Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is religion especially Christianity so widely practied?
Why is religion especially Christianity so widely practied?
I understand that this may sound like a stupid question. However this is something I really never understand. Why do we give so much credence to a belief surrounding a single man? I have read accounts that the actual man Jesus Christ did exist. However, is "powers" or whatever were severely exaggerated. This question goes for Islam and Judaism as well. You know, the big three. And I do know these 3 do stem from each other. But why? Why are these so widely practiced?
Better there than here where all my stuff is

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Why is religion especially Christianity so widely practied?
Suicide is very popular (1 mil a year people kill themselves) even with religion. People instead of hanging themselves just grab on Magical Wonder Lands ideas in many cases in poor countries.
Aggressive marketing. Christians would go into a country and romanize the local dialect so they could print bibles to spread their propaganda. "Back home" they were talking up the fact that they were teaching the heathens how to read and write. And fuck missionary style.
A societal system using faith to give hope is very popular for counteracting hopelessness in societies, especially poor ones as Godzilla pointed out. There are also, probably plenty of other reasons such as a structured set of practices for day-to-day life is a was to systematically structure the chaotic world around you. Maybe, a societal group focused on reaching out to people in need is an outlet for feelings of compelling philanthropy. I'm certain there are plenty of others.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Grew up under the roman empire, so the answer is location, location, location!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 4, 2019 at 1:08 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Aggressive marketing. Christians would go into a country and romanize the local dialect so they could print bibles to spread their propaganda. "Back home" they were talking up the fact that they were teaching the heathens how to read and write. And fuck missionary style.

Fun fact, the missionary position was brought over by explorers and taught to the Native Indians. In turn they taught us how to sit. Hilarious
Better there than here where all my stuff is

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
People are weak, they are also stupid.
Indoctrination & Tradition.

Also - never underestimate the tribal tendencies and herd mentality of human beings Smile
Illegitimi non carborundum
(February 4, 2019 at 1:14 pm)tackattack Wrote: A societal system using faith to give hope is very popular for counteracting hopelessness in societies, especially poor ones as Godzilla pointed out. There are also, probably plenty of other reasons such as a structured set of practices for day-to-day life is a was to systematically structure the chaotic world around you. Maybe, a societal group focused on reaching out to people in need is an outlet for feelings of compelling philanthropy. I'm certain there are plenty of others.

Where did I say "hopelessness" or "poor"?
(February 4, 2019 at 1:14 pm)tackattack Wrote: A societal system using faith to give hope is very popular for counteracting hopelessness in societies, especially poor ones as Godzilla pointed out. There are also, probably plenty of other reasons such as a structured set of practices for day-to-day life is a was to systematically structure the chaotic world around you. Maybe, a societal group focused on reaching out to people in need is an outlet for feelings of compelling philanthropy. I'm certain there are plenty of others.

I suspect this is very nearly right.  Virtually all religions hold out the promise of 'better things in the next life', which must look pretty attractive to peasants who share a mud hut with various units of livestock.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christianity Is The BEST Religion.... Nimbus 201 16713 February 23, 2018 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Help needed for atheist/science films, CG especially skydivephil 3 946 December 14, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: c172
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2392 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9183 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Bad Religion: How Trump is warping Christianity for his own gain. Foxaèr 4 1029 February 6, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10598 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19600 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why would any Woman want to be a part of Christianity? Spooky 33 8351 July 23, 2015 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Gandhi rejected Christianity as a false religion Foxaèr 13 4255 January 2, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13