Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is religion so interested in micro managing it's followers?
Why is religion so interested in micro managing it's followers?
I really never understood this. This is one reason why I think religion is silly. Because it seems they are more interested in controlling your life. It is more of a don't do this, don't that sort of thing. For example, in Christianity and Islam masturbation is frowned upon and is considered a serious sin. I think as to why it is viewed this way can be an entire separate discussion regarding the logic behind this. Perhaps this is one of those questions that just can't be answered properly. Religion in itself is something I have a huge issue with. Mostly for this reason. I could be wrong here, but my theory is that religion was built as a way to control large amounts of people. Did you know only priests were only allowed to read the bible during the medieval times? They were afraid that people would see parts of the bible that they didn't want them to see. Then you have the entire thing where they were changing the bible multiple times in order to fit a particular political/personal agenda. I mean, for all we know the bible that exists today could be nowhere near the original thing. Sorry to go off topic here...
RE: Why is religion so interested in micro managing it's followers?
(June 25, 2018 at 7:15 am)Libertarian God Wrote:  I could be wrong here, but my theory is that religion was built as a way to control large amounts of people. 

In a word, duh.

Quote:Then you have the entire thing where they were changing the bible multiple times in order to fit a particular political/personal agenda.

At the risk of repeating myself, duh.
Yeah, control and making money. It makes everyone believe there's something wrong with them, and then sells them the only cure.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 25, 2018 at 8:16 am)robvalue Wrote: Yeah, control and making money. It makes everyone believe there's something wrong with them, and then sells them the only cure.

Don't forget power and influence.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Yes, the whole point of religion is a means of controlling people, and building wealth and power. It's a tool, as much as anything else.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

There are a lot of believers who sincerely want to be God's homie.
And don't forget the free pointy hat that bishops get.. how cool is that !!
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
(June 25, 2018 at 7:15 am)Libertarian God Wrote: I really never understood this. This is one reason why I think religion is silly. Because it seems they are more interested in controlling your life.
Religion and the bible EI: the God of the bible are not the same thing. God hates religion He tells us so in the bible and in how Jesus treated the most religious people of his day

Quote: It is more of a don't do this, don't that sort of thing. For example, in Christianity and Islam masturbation is frowned upon and is considered a serious sin.
The biggest difference between Religion and God is how sin is delt with. With God/If you have a relationship with God through Jesus first (and not the church first) You simply must identify sin in your life and whether you can stop it all together or not is a non issue. The big issue is whether or not in your heart you love your sin or you love God more and hate your sin. God simply wants you to want to maove away from sin even if you cant.

Religion see sin as a way to cash in on it's followers and indebt the sinner to the religious orgnaization. there are hundreds of different ways religion deals with and has you pay for your sin.

Again with God the sin is already dealt with. If you want forgiveness put god first in your heart.

Quote: I think as to why it is viewed this way can be an entire separate discussion regarding the logic behind this. Perhaps this is one of those questions that just can't be answered properly
Only if you view God nd religion as the same thing.

Quote: Religion in itself is something I have a huge issue with. Mostly for this reason. I could be wrong here, but my theory is that religion was built as a way to control large amounts of people.
popular culture and popular morality is also a way to control large amounts of people.

Quote:Did you know only priests were only allowed to read the bible during the medieval times?
certain priests and scribes. not all churches even had a bible. they would get weekly or monthly sermons pre written from their local authority.

Quote:They were afraid that people would see parts of the bible that they didn't want them to see.
which seperates God from religion.

Quote:Then you have the entire thing where they were changing the bible multiple times in order to fit a particular political/personal agenda. I mean, for all we know the bible that exists today could be nowhere near the original thing. Sorry to go off topic here...

That bible version is call the septuagint, and it is based off of a latin translation of the orginal greek.

That said our "Holy bibles" now are not based off anything to do with the septuagint. they come from the same greek text the septuagint was compiled from. or rather the KJV was. we have since found older copies and far more clear/less damaged copied of the original greek manuscripts. Some of our books go well back before Christ. when the septuagint was compiled nothing was older than the 3rd or 4th century. some of it 13th century. (remember same greek text used for the King James version.) but now we have text fro the 3rd century back before Christ was born. what we found was amazing. there is very little difference between the codex used for the KJV and the much older codacees. some gramatical and spelling changes and we see words being used differently/modernized but that's it. God has protected His word.
I bet the last straw for God was menstruating women not even thinking about their curse and trying to get in HIs temples when they were on the rag.  Outrageous women had to be reminded about that offensive conduct and to cease and desist.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:God hates religion

If the fucker existed that would be one thing we agreed on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If God's Not An Asshole His Followers Are Minimalist 21 3046 August 13, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why are the Abraham religions so interested in controlling people sexually NuclearEnergy 42 11141 June 21, 2017 at 11:27 am
Last Post: John V
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10722 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19822 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49316 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11543 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  I don't really get how religion has still get tons of followers xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx 0 723 March 3, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Macro and Micro evolution for dummies. Gooders1002 73 22140 December 7, 2012 at 11:00 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Why religion was necessary; why it no longer is. Creed of Heresy 24 14335 August 23, 2012 at 9:38 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy