Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHY RELIGION?
WHY RELIGION?
A few posts ago, I made the glib claim that if people really thought about their religious beliefs that there would be a great many more atheists.   I've thought a bit about that. I don't think it's true.

Above all, religious beliefs are based on faith, not reason. The lack of a rational base is reflected by the bewildering variety of religious beliefs on offer, even within a  single belief  system, such as Christianity, Islam and Hinduism.

I am acutely aware that atheists are a very small minority in terms  of beliefs, or lack of them.  

It is my perception  that all human  behaviour has a purpose. This especially true of common behaviours, such as identifying with some religious belief.

In my opinion, religious faith meets some very basic human needs. I'll list the ones I've thought of. This is not meant to be  conclusive.

Coping with the fear of death. Humans are unique in our awareness of our own mortality. This awareness terrifies us. Believing in a some form of afterlife is very appealing and deeply comforting.

The deep human need for order; much more orderly and comforting when instead of  "WTF was THAT?" We can say"Oh, that was just Thor with his hammer" This need is hard wired also. It's why for example we see a bunny rabbit in that cloud, the virgin in a piece of toast, alien visitors and conspiracy theories.

We are able to bargain with/influence  the divine. From gross sacrifices  to  a staggering number of other rituals, from prayer wheels, to dietary laws, to making pilgrimage and prayers, simple and complex.

We are social animals, and  naturally lean towards being part of a group. Pretty sure it's a hard wired survival thing. We feel more comfortable, safer, as part of a group; family, language, community, religion.

Religion has always been used to rationalise behaviour in which an animal would not indulge.

A cynical man might also say there seems to be an element of satisfaction/ schadenfruede from belonging to a 'special' group.Eg cults and some of the smaller, loopier beliefs ,from Mormons, to Scientologists, to Jehovah's Witnesses to Plymouth Brethren.

I suspect some one will be able to add to the list.

Those more perceptive will have noticed I have not used terms  such as 'truth', 'divine revelation'  'god' or 'the supernatural' . I thought, what with being an atheist and all-------
RE: WHY RELIGION?
And it could be that the existence of God is just very intuitive to them, or at least more intuitive than alternative metaphysical views.
(February 20, 2019 at 11:26 pm)Grandizer Wrote: And it could be that the existence of God is just very intuitive to them, or at least more intuitive than alternative metaphysical views.

Yep, probably the simplest default position. Intuition can make a very satisfying justification for  sometimes stupid, sometimes fatal decisions.---and sometimes a right decision, which provides powerful intermittent reinforcement..
Humans are essentially microscopic germs, their sense of entitlement and their substantially over inflated egos thoroughly convince them, that they are the preferred creation of the almighty.
I was actually thinking the similar thing: why aren't most religious people simply deists? I mean if they all claim that "all the religions are true in some way" and that "all gods are the same" then why adhere to Christianity or Islam or Hinduism... I mean if they claim how majority of Christians reject Bible's claims about the world like: flat Earth, six day creation, that the stars will fall from the sky onto Earth, six headed monsters, dragons etc. but adhere to the "God can be seen in the science of the Big Bang" then why not just let go of the rest of the primitive localized beliefs?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(February 20, 2019 at 11:20 pm)fredd bear Wrote: Above all, religious beliefs are based on faith, not reason.

[...]

In my opinion, religious faith meets some very basic human needs. 

First, you say that religious beliefs aren't based on reason. 

Then you give a list of basic human needs which are met by religion. (And I can think of a few more.)

If a person can get so many of his basic human needs met by religion, isn't it reasonable to be religious?
(February 21, 2019 at 3:53 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: I was actually thinking the similar thing: why aren't most religious people simply deists? I mean if they all claim that "all the religions are true in some way" and that "all gods are the same" then why adhere to Christianity or Islam or Hinduism... I mean if they claim how majority of Christians reject Bible's claims about the world like: flat Earth, six day creation, that the stars will fall from the sky onto Earth, six headed monsters, dragons etc. but adhere to the "God can be seen in the science of the Big Bang" then why not just let go of the rest of the primitive localized beliefs?

I would assume a lot of "believers" are just general practcing deists. A lot of religions do claim that a lot of the other religions are true in some way. Christianity has a lot of variety within it. However, fundamental Christians have a more exclusive view of religion, in that all the other religions aren't true in some way and that they have the one way.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
For me, it was a passionate love affair with Jewish law. If you've never been there, you just don't know what it's like-- studying Jewish law, talking Jewsih law, living Jewish law, interacting with others who are living Jewish law. It's so passionate and addictive and you just love the others who are having the same experience.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
Why religion?  Because believing is easier than thinking.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 21, 2019 at 1:53 pm)Yonadav Wrote: For me, it was a passionate love affair with Jewish law. If you've never been there, you just don't know what it's like-- studying Jewish law, talking Jewsih law, living Jewish law, interacting with others who are living Jewish law. It's so passionate and addictive and you just love the others who are having the same experience.

A Talmudic scholar, here. Great stuff.

I have an inking of just how fulfilling such study can be.  

May I ask if, first, if you are Jewish? A practising or cultural jew?  Orthodox or Reform?

Perhaps we can have some views by some one who actually knows the Torah;

Eg: Brief explanation of the term 'mitzvot',  including its source according to Jewish tradition

Prophecy about the Messiah , as apposed to christians claims. In my experience, Christians rarely seem to bother asking WHY Jews don't except Jesus as the Messiah.

Does the idea of an eternal hell appear in the Torah?

An odd question perhaps; I read/ heard that "revenge is not Jewish". Correct in principle? . 

A lot o questions , I know, and a couple are a bit intrusive.I ask from curiosity and because I want an informed opinion.

I have problems  accepting the views of evangelical Christians as being informed on the Torah or New Testament . Imo, the opinions I come across here  tend to be simplistic and dogmatic.

I was brought up Catholic. We were not encouraged to read the Bible (so naturally, I did ,at age 16) From what I've seen over a lifetime, Catholic  faith is not based on personal knowledge of scripture, but on church teaching about scripture.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10719 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19819 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49306 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11543 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Why religion was necessary; why it no longer is. Creed of Heresy 24 14335 August 23, 2012 at 9:38 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused