Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Afterlife' feels 'even more real than real,' researcher says
'Afterlife' feels 'even more real than real,' researcher says
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/09/health...index.html

Quote:Laureys heads the Coma Science Group at the university hospital in the city of Liege. He and his colleagues published a scientific study on NDEs late last month.

People who go on these fantastic journeys are often forever changed. Many seem to come back happier and no longer fear death, he said. The experience becomes a cornerstone of their lives.
Results of a psychological test reveal memories of Near Death Experiences to be more vivid than any other memoryResults of a psychological test reveal memories of Near Death Experiences to be more vivid than any other memory

NDEs feel "even more real than real," Laureys said. It's this sparkling clarity and living color of the experience, which many have when they lose consciousness, that he and his team have researched.

But he doesn't think it comes from a spirit world. Laureys is a scientist, he emphasizes. He prefers not to mix that with religion.

His hypothesis is that near-death experiences originate in human physiology. "It is this dysfunctional brain that produces these phenomena," he said.

Laureys and his staff are interested in how the brain creates the mind and its perception of reality. "Our main focus is consciousness research in comatose patients," he said. His team hopes to raise the quality of their comfort and care.
RE: 'Afterlife' feels 'even more real than real,' researcher says
Doesn't surprise me that people feel this way. If you're in a coma -without all the interference that the exterior world imposes upon you via your senses- for example...I could see how free your imagination would be to conjure up a very vivid world indeed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Of course he offers no evidence to support his claim that brain dysfunction produces NDE.
-therefore ghosts Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 18, 2013 at 11:12 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Of course he offers no evidence to support his claim that brain dysfunction produces NDE.
He does say there's still a lot to research and that it's a difficult thing to research given the unpredictability of Near Death of any given person and you don't want to be taking brain scans while a whole team of doctors is trying to keep the patient alive.
(April 18, 2013 at 11:12 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Of course he offers no evidence to support his claim that brain dysfunction produces NDE.

The article describes it as "his hypothesis." If, per his emphasis, he is a scientist, then it seems typical that he'd hypothesize about the cause of NDEs, while allowing for further research to test and possibly reject his ideas.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are other races more evolved than Blacks? Alexmahone 164 17007 March 18, 2022 at 4:22 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Life After Death Is Impossible, Says Scientist Fake Messiah 121 9983 February 23, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A Human says what? Brian37 37 3116 June 29, 2020 at 12:24 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Fox host says he 'hasn't washed hands in 10 years' zebo-the-fat 12 1550 February 20, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Damn, should I even be watching this show? vorlon13 13 2430 August 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: brewer
  God can never know more than the host ignoramus 21 6099 February 17, 2017 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Magilla
Rainbow What science says about plant-based diets (Vegan) NeotericNinja 68 8355 May 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Do you even science?!?! Jacob(smooth) 12 2360 March 2, 2015 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Primordial earth much more hospitable to life than imagined. Anomalocaris 0 956 September 17, 2014 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why are spiders more scary than sharks? lifesagift 112 19931 September 12, 2014 at 4:01 am
Last Post: ManMachine