Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's (NOT) a miracle!
It's (NOT) a miracle!

ah modern miracles, they seem only true when there is no evidence but a lot of lying involved
RE: It's (NOT) a miracle!
Ayup.  People who attempt to make the case for miracles seem to some difficulty understanding the difference between 'unexplained' and 'inexplicable'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Aqaba from the land was a miracle.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
"Miracle" is a bullshit word gap answer for when the person is emotional and wants a magic answer.

Not knowing why an event played out to one's advantage does not mean a sky wizard did it.

If a passenger jet holds 300 people, and crashes, and only one person survives they call it a "miracle".

If another passenger holding 300 crashes, and only one person dies, the same word is used.

When does it stop being a miracle? When 150 die and 150 survive?

"Miracle" is a bullshit word to me when one considers the reality that on average 50 to 60 million people per year, die on average, from everything you can imagine. We die at every age, from stillbirth, to childhood famine, childhood disease, to adult crime and war, and natural disasters and accidental and old age.

To most individuals, we all feel lucky when we escape an "oh shit" moment. But ultimately humans always die.

That means on average, half a billion humans die every decade, and 1 billion deaths every 20 years.

"Miracle" is simply a childish way of being happy that you didn't bite the dust.
I walk on water all the time in winter and no one says it's a miracle. Silly christians.
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
Bernadette Soubirous claimed to seen the Virgin Mary between 18 February ad 16 July 1858., ay Lourdes, France

The apparitions were later declared real by the Catholic church.. During a conversation (alone)with her Bishop, the Bishop later claimed this ignorant peasant girl told him the apparition had said "I am the immaculate conception" IE born without original sin. This was accepted, and made dogma by the pope, speaking ex cathedra** for the first and so far only time.

The odd miracle began to be credited to the Virgin's intercession with god.

Lourdes quickly became a centre of pilgrimage, with sufferers coming from all over the world. Current stats show there are around 5 MILLION visitors to Lourdes each year.. I worked out a very rough rule of thumb.IE that not less than 200 million sufferers have visited Lourdes since 1858

The overall rate of spontaneous natural cures is 1:30,000

Since 1858, the Catholic Church has recognised 65 cures at Lourdes. Not one involved the growth of a severed limb, or the cure of a genetic condition of any kind..

I think the church's claims of miracles is horse shit.

Let's see a holy person get a limb to regrow or give sight to a person congenitally blind.

*Ex cathedra; literally 'from the chair {of St Pete) and infallibly.
Fredd, the irony is even if a limb grew or blindness cured, it still wouldn't be a miracle, it'd be a technical feat of modern medicine wizardry or maybe some other homeopathic bs explanation from the left.
Even the religious would be sceptical, for even they aren't gullible fools.

I think the meaning of the word "miracle" these days is conceptual only. Like Disney style magic. Everyone knows it's not real.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Interesting topic. My parents are Portuguese. Has anyone heard of Our Lady of Fatima and the Miracle of the sun? Its easy to find info on it.

3 kids cliamed to have apparitions of the Virgin Mary on the 13th of every month strating from May to October in 1917.

On the 13th of September the kids supposedly asked Mary to give a sign so that people would believe them. So she said next month there will be a miracle.

About 80,000 people arrived to witness the event. According to the accounts of witnesses the sun started to spin. Defying the laws of physics it was throwing out rays of different colours and dancing around.

Then everyone began to panic as the sun appeared to move closer and closer to earth but before any collision could occur the sun went back to normal.

Sick and disable people were cured and the kids became woke with these predictions that came true. The spread of communism just weeks before the Russian revolution took place. The early deaths of the 2 youngest kids and other predictions.

When I was an atheist I never challenged my parents. One of the reasons was because I am unable to explain the miracle of the sun

Some things don't add up. Peoples stories vary in how the sun was exactly moving. The 3 kids claim that they didn't see the phenomenon with the sun.
While throughout the world no one reported seeing any perticular movements made by the sun, not even in surrounding nearby villages.

How does 80,000 people all report seeing the sun do such things? Would every major newspaper of the world print such a story if it had no credability?

Ive heard claims that because they were all believers they had a group halucination... Hehehe ye sure.

So take a closer look if u wish and see if you can come up with a decent explination of how 80,000 people witnessed this event that was documented worldwide???

How would u attampt to tell your parents that their version of events is false without ur own explination?
(March 6, 2019 at 3:44 pm)Agnostico Wrote: How does 80,000 people all report seeing the sun do such things?

All? Actually only some people reported seeing something and nobody knows what was seen exactly since they all gave different and contradictory accounts.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(March 6, 2019 at 3:44 pm)Agnostico Wrote: Interesting topic. My parents are Portuguese. Has anyone heard of Our Lady of Fatima and the Miracle of the sun? Its easy to find info on it.

3 kids cliamed to have apparitions of the Virgin Mary on the 13th of every month strating from May to October in 1917.

On the 13th of September the kids supposedly asked Mary to give a sign so that people would believe them. So she said next month there will be a miracle.

About 80,000 people arrived to witness the event. According to the accounts of witnesses the sun started to spin. Defying the laws of physics it was throwing out rays of different colours and dancing around.

Then everyone began to panic as the sun appeared to move closer and closer to earth but before any collision could occur the sun went back to normal.

Sick and disable people were cured and the kids became woke with these predictions that came true. The spread of communism just weeks before the Russian revolution took place. The early deaths of the 2 youngest kids and other predictions.

When I was an atheist I never challenged my parents. One of the reasons was because I am unable to explain the miracle of the sun

Some things don't add up. Peoples stories vary in how the sun was exactly moving. The 3 kids claim that they didn't see the phenomenon with the sun.
While throughout the world no one reported seeing any perticular movements made by the sun, not even in surrounding nearby villages.

How does 80,000 people all report seeing the sun do such things? Would every major newspaper of the world print such a story if it had no credability?

Ive heard claims that because they were all believers they had a group halucination... Hehehe ye sure.

So take a closer look if u wish and see if you can come up with a decent explination of how 80,000 people witnessed this event that was documented worldwide???

How would u attampt to tell your parents that their version of events is false without ur own explination?

Who did the counting exactly? What was the original report? Who made it? Context is important. Don't ignore it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What godly miracle would it take? Astonished 48 14584 October 8, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Veritable Miracle Caught On Camera: Mudhammam 29 8431 January 5, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Information Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland MountainsWinAgain 2 1302 June 4, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  A miracle? Baalzebutt 0 1207 June 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt