Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland
Information 
Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland
Quote:-Sanal Edamaruku — a.k.a. “the Indian James Randi” — has debunked a lot of sacred cows in his life. In 2012, after explaining how a statue of Christ could be dripping water seemingly on its own, he was charged with “hurting the religious sentiments of a particular community.” The “crime” could have resulted in a prison sentence of up to three years in addition to a fine, so Edamaruku fled from his home before he could be punished (or physically attacked).

-But the furore has not died down — the Catholic Secular Form (CSF), one of the groups that made the initial complaint, still insists it will press for prosecution should he ever return.

-Two years on, he is angry, bitter and defiant. Living in a small flat on the eastern edge of Helsinki, he has forced himself to adjust to an alien landscape. After the crowded hustle of Delhi, more than 3,000 miles away, he can now walk mile upon lonely mile without seeing a single person.

-He’s had the opportunity to go back to India, but it would require him to apologize for what he did, a compromise he’s not making:

Cardinal Oswald Gracias of Mumbai tried to broker a solution by calling upon Edamaruku to apologise and on Catholic groups to drop their case in return.
But Edamaruku staunchly refuses to compromise on what he sees as his freedom of expression.
“I don’t regret anything I said,” he says. “I feel that I have full right to express my views… I am open for discussion and correction but I am not willing to accept anybody’s bullying, change my views or submit to their pressure to apologise.”

-He has been forced to adjust his life for the “crime” of telling the truth and backing it up with evidence — and the ones going after him are the religious extremists who can’t take their miracles being disproven.

Indian skeptic

Telling the truth, a religious crime.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

-Douglas Adams
RE: Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland
Those fuckwads wouldn't believe that the Earth is round even if they saw that.

Kudos to the guy for debunking the statue stuff though.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
RE: Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland
Beat you.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-26472.html

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1462 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 31043 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  It's (NOT) a miracle! Cepheus Ace 28 3363 March 11, 2019 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4628 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5536 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Two scenarios that may/may not happen. RayOfLight 85 17031 November 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  What godly miracle would it take? Astonished 48 14598 October 8, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3552 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  How not to start a conversation with a skeptic...I think Astonished 43 8715 February 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9689 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie