Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What godly miracle would it take?
What godly miracle would it take?
For anyone unconvinced there's a god or unconvinced there's anything beyond a mere deist god or at the very least unconvinced that there's anything supernatural out there, what sort of phenomenon (that no one could possibly dispute) would have to occur to convince you that there was some intelligence with power beyond our perception?

Since Yahweh seems to be the fan favorite, I'd have to say it would take something on the level of every charlatan using his name to pad their pocket books turning into pillars of salt, simultaneously, worldwide, a mixture of them being converted on live television, others on recordings and others merely in front of those they are 'ministering' to. That would go a long way in convincing me that there was a god, not a good one necessarily since it took way too long to get the lead out of his ass and there's still a lot of other fucked-up shit he can't excuse, but I'd know there was something out there to contemplate and attempt to find and learn about.

I know guys like Matt Dillahunty are reluctant to give an answer to this kind of question, and don't get me wrong, the answer of 'if there's a god they should know what would convince me' is fan-freakin'-tastic. But does anyone have a specific type of prayer they would need answered or miracle they would need to witness to convince them beyond a doubt?
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
RE: What godly miracle would it take?
If he was real - he'd need to answer to why he's been such a fucking prick to "his people" for the last several thousand years.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
https://atheistforums.org/thread-28668-p...#pid752753
If he's all knowing, he knows what it would take. If he's all powerful, then he's capable of making it happen. Personally I'd just like him to come down and talk to me. Not through a book, or some guy with his interpretation of a book. Come down himself.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

An archeological expedition finds a 2000 year old wooden box which contains a DVD. The DVD shows a scene in  ancient middle east. A man saves a veiled adulteress from public stoning. The adulteress throws off her veils revealing a woman in a bikini holding a cue card that reads "Say the word, win the bird!".  A helicopter lands and Groucho Marx is the pilot. He is giving the crowd/ camera the middle finger. The bikineed adulteress jumps in to the chopper and they fly off into the sunset. Carbon 14 dating affirms age of  DVD. That would make me take a double take!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Have theology produce evidence that god 'does' exist rather than speculations as to why god 'should' exist. Now that, would be a fucking miracle.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
A personal appearance would be nice.

And then testable "miracles".

Hell, I might be convinced there's something in it if a faith healer truly carried out a measurable cure.
Dying to live, living to die.
If all natural resources we piss away suddenly started magically becoming infinitely renewable without things like global warming worsening (but rather, getting better) that would also be a good proof. But it would still not make up for taking this long to get around to it. So yeah, just because the existence of something would be revealed in this way, it sure as shit wouldn't be sufficient to warrant worshiping it, and it would take the mother of the motherfucking mother of all explanations for why in order for it to be remotely excusable.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(September 27, 2017 at 10:21 pm)chimp3 Wrote: An archeological expedition finds a 2000 year old wooden box which contains a DVD. The DVD shows a scene in  ancient middle east. A man saves a veiled adulteress from public stoning. The adulteress throws off her veils revealing a woman in a bikini holding a cue card that reads "Say the word, win the bird!".  A helicopter lands and Groucho Marx is the pilot. He is giving the crowd/ camera the middle finger. The bikineed adulteress jumps in to the chopper and they fly off into the sunset. Carbon 14 dating affirms age of  DVD. That would make me take a double take!

(binary thought fallacy!)

That was funny! I was picturing in my head as I was reading it.
But I must ask. How or why, in any way, does this have anything to do with God existing?

(September 27, 2017 at 11:15 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: A personal appearance would be nice.

And then testable "miracles".

Hell, I might be convinced there's something in it if a faith healer truly carried out a measurable cure.

More binary thought fallacies! Big Grin

Faith healers prove god?
How do we know the faith healer doesn't have faith in alien technology? We still wouldn't believe.

None of us would. Under any circumstance. Because the whole notion of god is flawed. We will find a logical explanation for anything that happens every time.
The universal laws of physics can not be broken sadly. Otherwise, I'd poof myself into a black Lamborghini! Big Grin

I understand this is a hypothetical. But it will always remain one in this example.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If some guy would come up to me and say he was Jesus, I'd back away, slowly.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 694 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  It's (NOT) a miracle! Cepheus Ace 28 3354 March 11, 2019 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Don't take it personally. Mystic 83 7325 October 16, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 38703 November 16, 2016 at 4:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How long did it take for you to deconvert? What made you change your mind? IanHulett 27 7729 August 6, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  What Would It Take To Be Convinced? PhilosophicalZebra 71 10386 May 6, 2015 at 7:04 pm
  what to do when thiests take you on a guilt trip? Twisted 14 3211 May 4, 2015 at 1:52 pm
  Heh... take a look at this dyresand 15 2581 January 20, 2015 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Losty
  A Veritable Miracle Caught On Camera: Mudhammam 29 8434 January 5, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Information Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland MountainsWinAgain 2 1302 June 4, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb