Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Low Can the GOP/POTUS go? OP/ED
How Low Can the GOP/POTUS go? OP/ED
It is bad enough for the past 40 years the GOP has consistently sold shit for ice cream sprinkles to fund tax breaks for billionaires and giant corporations that do not need them. That is bad enough. And for decades the GOP has demonized medicaid, medicare and social security, and again, for the same reason. Those things can be solvent and work if we stop allowing billionaires to bully congress. That being said what kind of douchebag do you have to be to want to cut funding to the Special Olympics?

Yep, Betsy DeVos and the GOP quietly tried to do that. The she and the POTUS walked it back trying to claim they it wasn't their idea, and the POTUS tried to act like he single handedly saved it. But this is what many are not getting with any charity. I have no problem with the idea of charity, in the right conditions. But charity as it stands now, is just PR used by big corporations to maintain their image more than it actually solves problems. 

It is more expensive to the tax payers whom are not billionaires or giant corporations. Those corporate charities get a tax write off that the rest of us end up having to compensate for. It would actually be cheaper long term to fund universal health care, and tax corporations to fund things like cancer research and Special Olympics. The way we are doing it now may help some, but long term it is nothing but PR to maintain the status quo for the top. 

I have been consistent in saying this is NOT about ending the private sector. But the idea from the GOP that everything can be privatized is just bullshit. The idea that the Special Olympics should be 100% privately funded, would only benefit people like Betsy DeVos more than the rest of us, because when anyone donates to a charity, they get a tax write off. So when someone in her class donates, ultimately the rest of us would have to make up for what she doesn't pay in taxes. So the reality is, as charity currently is used by giant businesses, is really nothing but a forced loan on the lower two classes.

Unlike greedy people like DeVos and 45, when I donate money, I never ask for a receipt to file for my taxes to get a break. It is called charity for a reason. When you expect money back that is not giving, that is a loan, even if partial. Real charity is when you give, and don't expect anything back in return, which is what a tax deduction is not. 

But again, I expect a a lot of greed coming from the GOP, but out of all the things to attempt to fuck with, this really to me is further proof that the GOP and the POTUS are immoral and do not care whom they hurt to keep power.
RE: How Low Can the GOP/POTUS go? OP/ED
Literally they will drag us down into the end of the fucking world. Not saying that as an exaggeration. I literally mean they will take us to fucking dome cities, toxic posphorous air, no fucking ozone layer.
It's sort of messed up when no one gets all that excited about cuts to Medicare, but cutting funding to the Special Olympics is going too far. There's a bit of a divorce from reality there, for the easily distracted.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
(March 29, 2019 at 7:56 am)bennyboy Wrote: Literally they will drag us down into the end of the fucking world.  Not saying that as an exaggeration.  I literally mean they will take us to fucking dome cities, toxic posphorous air, no fucking ozone layer.

It isn't just America, it is global greed. Humanity in general are good, but unfortunately at the same time, there are greedy people that put profits above humanity. We cannot afford as a planet to continue like this. Competition in business does not have to be about speed, greed and shareholders. Humans need to learn that good business can be about problem solving and providing, not exploitation. 

It is sad to know 62 uber billionaire individuals/families, have the combined wealth of 3 billion of the rest of us.
(March 29, 2019 at 8:01 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 29, 2019 at 7:56 am)bennyboy Wrote: Literally they will drag us down into the end of the fucking world.  Not saying that as an exaggeration.  I literally mean they will take us to fucking dome cities, toxic posphorous air, no fucking ozone layer.

It isn't just America, it is global greed. Humanity in general are good, but unfortunately at the same time, there are greedy people that put profits above humanity. We cannot afford as a planet to continue like this. Competition in business does not have to be about speed, greed and shareholders. Humans need to learn that good business can be about problem solving and providing, not exploitation. 

It is sad to know 62 uber billionaire individuals/families, have the combined wealth of 3 billion of the rest of us.

We're a fucking virus.  The sad thing is we're smart enough to know it-- but we can't escape that programming apparently.  I don't see anyway out of a post-apocalyptic hell.
(March 29, 2019 at 7:57 am)Yonadav Wrote: It's sort of messed up when no one gets all that excited about cuts to Medicare, but cutting funding to the Special Olympics is going too far. There's a bit of a divorce from reality there, for the easily distracted.

Not sure what you mean. 

The GOP will gut anything and everything, like I said in my prior post, to fund billionaire tax breaks and giant corporations free ride. It is all too far for me. But it is especially douchebaggery to gut the Special Olympics.
(March 29, 2019 at 8:35 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 29, 2019 at 7:57 am)Yonadav Wrote: It's sort of messed up when no one gets all that excited about cuts to Medicare, but cutting funding to the Special Olympics is going too far. There's a bit of a divorce from reality there, for the easily distracted.

Not sure what you mean. 

The GOP will gut anything and everything, like I said in my prior post, to fund billionaire tax breaks and giant corporations free ride. It is all too far for me. But it is especially douchebaggery to gut the Special Olympics.

I think that it is especially douchebaggery to cut Medicare. I don't care so much about the Special Olympics, since I don't think that it has made a difference in the lives of disabled people, and I think that it is primarily a make work project for its administrators.

But I am mostly alarmed that the Special Olympics cut basically kicked proposed Medicare cuts out of the news cycle.
(March 29, 2019 at 8:56 am)Yonadav Wrote:
(March 29, 2019 at 8:35 am)Brian37 Wrote: Not sure what you mean. 

I think that it is especially douchebaggery to cut Medicare. I don't care so much about the Special Olympics, since I don't think that it has made a difference in the lives of disabled people, and I think that it is primarily a make work project for its administrators.

But I am mostly alarmed that the Special Olympics cut basically kicked proposed Medicare cuts out of the news cycle.

I disagree,  gutting both are bad, but cutting medicare isn't specifically aimed at that group. 

Oh no, you are wrong, I've been watching the news, and days before it came out this time about the Special Olympics they've been covering Trump's bullshit claim that the GOP would become the party of health care. And not only that, the GOP has been trying to overturn the ACA since the ink was dry on that law. And for decades the GOP has wrongfully slurred medicaid and medicare and social security as mooching.

People are, ofc, apoplectic about cuts to medicare.  The reason that the cuts to special olympics funding is especially galling is that it's just plain old cruella deville shit.  We've become accustomed to the usual rightwing cruelty....but that comes straight out of a cartoon.

I get that news cycles can seem odd..but the use of the news cycle to do one terrible thing, get veryone talking about it, and then do ten that fly under the radar is the point. It would be just as useful to the ghouls in charge if we focused on the one, medicare..while they did ten other things.

At some point we're going to realize that this presidency doesn't just need to end, it needs to be annulled.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 29, 2019 at 10:21 am)Gae Bolga Wrote:

People are, ofc, apoplectic about cuts to medicare.  The reason that the cuts to special olympics funding is especially galling is that it's just plain old cruella deville shit.  We've become accustomed to the usual rightwing cruelty....but that comes straight out of a cartoon.

I get that news cycles can seem odd..but the use of the news cycle to do one terrible thing, get veryone talking about it, and then do ten that fly under the radar is the point.  It would be just as useful to the ghouls in charge if we focused on the one, medicare..while they did ten other things.

At some point we're going to realize that this presidency doesn't just need to end, it needs to be annulled.

Is it really Cruella Deville shit? It's a cut that has repeatedly been proposed, including one time during the Obama administration. It's basically an untouchable vanity project that only costs about 15 million a year. So of all of the proposed cuts, it is the one that never goes through. The Special Olympics has revenue of around 150 million a year, so the government subsidy is just a small part of their revenue. The subsidy is used to fund programs in which the sports teams of public high schools interact with their school's disabled students. It's not a very important program, but it is connected with a whole lot of extremely powerful political donors. So despite it having been proposed as a cut several times, it never gets cut. It's untouchable.

But here's the thing. Something like 7 billion in cuts were proposed for education. The Special Olympics cut is basically fake news. That's just a 15 million dollar cut that has even been proposed under Obama's watch. It's typical Dem bullshit. They push back on the Special Olympics cut as a big story and easy victory, and then they can totally fuck up with the other nearly 7 billion in proposed education cuts and still look like winners.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The PR Wing Of The GOP BrianSoddingBoru4 175 13137 June 18, 2022 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  FB app hit by low ratings Foxaèr 3 580 June 10, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  GOP chooses to protect former guy and big lie. Brian37 11 790 June 1, 2021 at 6:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now the GOP trots out dirt on Hunter Biden onlinebiker 89 5563 October 21, 2020 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Can you sew? Can you save a life? Gawdzilla Sama 30 2565 April 5, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  POTUS having a really bad day today. Brian37 20 2664 November 20, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  Kentucky Fried Potus Brian37 2 396 November 6, 2019 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Potus's Follower caught in killing spree plot Brian37 11 1951 February 21, 2019 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  POTUS "fixer" gets 36 months in prison. Brian37 9 1511 December 13, 2018 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  GOP now wants civility in scotus hearing? Brian37 15 1337 September 7, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris