Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I feel like having some fun this Sunday
So I feel like having some fun this Sunday
and beleive it or not it won't involve fire!

I have some friends that are ready to go, and a video camera and we think we want to visit a local church this Sunday. The overall idea is to get answers to a few questions, starting with the more polite 'what are your beleifs in your words' and 'what was it thet made you start beleiving in the first place' questions before moving onto the more provacative ones. this is mostly because I'll make the point that if they tellme to go away I will do so. Given I am in their church, I feel that is fair.

So my question to everyone here is, do you have any good ideas for questions to ask em? I do want to have some fun out there so hard questions are just fine, anything really. I just hope I don't get kicked out too early for being an ass.

fyi all the local churches are christian churches I'm pretty sure and if they sit through the whole thing I am quite open to allowing them to ask their own questions of me. Like I said above, it sounds fair that if they can sit through me I can listen to/answer them for awhile.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
RE: So I feel like having some fun this Sunday
I take it that you will post this on your site so we can all enjoy it?

Have fun and I'm really looking forward to it!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
you bet! I'll even edit this one properly, I'm picturing something similar to Bill Mahers movie lol.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
I will urge you not to disrupt their services, and not film unless you are given permission. If you want to do it correctly I would even go so far as to inform if they are interested in participating in your discussion beforehand. I am not a huge fan of bursting in and fire questions when the person interviewed hasn't had the chance to prepare.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Oh I won't be trying to do anything during their usual stuff and all that. That's all assumed for me. But, I also feel I would lose much of the effect if I sent em a letter and told em I was coming. I want to hear honest answers, not a prepared sermon to convert me.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
A sermon is right out, since it is an interview and you ask the questions, and its up to you to keep the interview on track. I am not saying you should send a list of questions beforehand, but I would outline the direction of the conversation. It will make a much more interesting interview imho than "So why on earth do you believe in talking snakes?" because that interview will be over quite soon.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I plan to start off with getting info, I predice when I ask what the beleif is to them that I'll get lots of different answers. I don't plan on asking any questions like your example above but, I do plan to see what they think of common critisisims. Though before I ask those question I'll let them know that's the direction I'm heading. And if nobody wants to talk to me there that's fine. I'll be asking individuals if they are ok with me taking a few minutes of their time to do this and letting them know what to expect. Though if you're saying to talk to the pastor before I approach anyone then I agree, the pastor should be the first one we talk to, make sure we're at all welcome.

But you don't need to worry, I won't be barging in there trying to make an ass of myself. When I say I expect to get kicked out it's because I doubt that anyone there will be willing to talk about critisisims to their faith, they won't want to answer any questions in the second half or they will spend more time trying to convert me than answer honestly.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
I would suggest not actually going into the church to ask questions. A lot of people congregate out at the steps and talk, I would interview them.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I didn't know people did that, I figured they just went home. Sounds like a plan!
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
Some will, but some tend to stick around. That was always my experience when I went to church, and that was at a Catholic church. Remember, church just isn't a religious thing it's a community. It does take time for people to come out, so you can catch them as the exit. I think people won't mind if you're out on the public sidewalk asking questions instead of intruding on their holy space.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 2581 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
Photo Cartoon I made poking fun at Religion! shawnmcdaniel1 19 2815 September 9, 2021 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2581 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  How do atheists feel about name days? Der/die AtheistIn 25 2810 November 30, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 4958 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Atheist hate having to constantly repeat this.... Brian37 33 6622 October 16, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  I would like some advise Hammok Man 78 19881 August 8, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: mordant
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 13815 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  As a now 13 year old atheist I feel obligated to use 4chan ScienceAf 17 3525 December 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do UK atheists feel about the Monarchy? drfuzzy 55 5742 November 14, 2016 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: vorlon13