Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would like some advise
I would like some advise
I am an atheist and have been sense my early 20's.  

Religion was a very small part of my life before i jumped ship and then completely absent for many years.  
Now that I have two sons religion has once again entered my life.  

Here is a little background information on me and the situation.

My family is very roman catholic and southern.  My parents sent me to catholic schools, I received a well rounded education and was well prepared for college.  I have always been very skeptical about religion and from a very early age I just could not bring myself to really care to much about it.  At some point during college I decided to take a hard look at religion and i quickly came to the conclusion that religion is a scam.  Granted they often do good things with the money and influence people give them, but they also can do some pretty evil shit as well.

My wife is what I call face value religious.  She has a working knowledge of the catholic faith (as do I), but she does a bit of picking and choosing as to how strictly she follows church doctrine.  I am not out to impress anyone and I rarely discuss my personal beliefs.  If i am asked flat out "Do you believe in god?" typically I answer truthfully. (sometimes I do not want to go through the hassle of a religious debate)  My wife knows my stance on god, I actively avoid the subject because I know it upsets her.  I told my father about 20 years ago his response to me was something like "Believe whatever you like, just don't go around making an ass of yourself."  Which i think is pretty good advise.  I think the rest of my immediate family knows but we do not bring it up and we get along just fine.

The public schools in our area are sub standard so we sent our boys to catholic school.  I feel like they are getting a well rounded education, both of them are dyslexic and the school has worked with us to address the issue (We pushed the issue until the school gave the accommodations, and allowed outside help to address their needs.  It was not just my wife and I two other couples joined in on our push).  
The only real problem I have had with the school is when they wanted to take the 7th graders to protest a planned parenthood facility.  I think that activism should be a personal decision, and the school was wrong in doing this.  I did not allow my son to go, while i did not make a public spectacle of the situation there were several heated discussions with school officials.  (for the record, I am against abortion as convenience, but that is an entirely different discussion) 

Over the past six months my oldest has started asking my wife and I questions about the catholic faith.  He also has pointed out some of my "indiscretions" ie: I do go to mass with my wife and kids but i never bother with confession, and i often skip holy days of obligation.  The kids are both heavily involved in sports and other activities outside the school and church.  We do participate in some school sports/activities but unlike some of our friends we don't tend to rotate around the church.  I have always been very careful how I answer religious questions.  I ask him what the church teaches, then i ask him what other reasons/motivations could be involved.  I admit to throwing out small pieces of rationality, mainly to see if he can put it together.  

These questions have become deeper and often involve some of the deeply ingrained catholic beliefs and traditions.  I do not remember asking my parents questions about the catholic church like he does us.  I just don't remember caring that much, my father and I are very close and i can't remember a time in my life where I would not ask his advise but religion never came up, as i remember.  I guess my son's wiring is different than mine, perhaps they have better religion teachers now.  I do encourage him to ask me questions about pretty much anything, which is very similar to the relationship my father an I enjoy.

This is what I want help with.

I am curious as to if I should flat out tell my oldest (13) I do not believe in god or do I let him arrive to that conclusion on his own?   I would still encourage him to make his own mind up.

Here are some of my thoughts on the matter:
      In my opinion I suffered no ill effects from a very similar upbringing.
      I do think that my opinion will carry a heavy weight with him, keeping my true thoughts from him is very much against my nature, but this is about him not me.
      The family dynamic may suffer some short term friction. (Keep in mind that our lives do not rotate around the catholic church, our children's well being is our main concern) 

Thanks for any and all reply's. I tend to write forum posts as a stream of consciousness so forgive grammatical errors.

HM
RE: I would like some advise
I believe parents should always be honest with their kids.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I never give family or relationship advice if I can help it. If anything goes wrong because of what I say, it's my fault; and I won't put myself in that position.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 15, 2017 at 9:56 pm)Cyberman Wrote: I never give family or relationship advice if I can help it. If anything goes wrong because of what I say, it's my fault; and I won't put myself in that position.

I will remember that next time you ask for girlfriend help.
~ Erin Hunter
Fuck off.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I don't have any kids, but I think my approach if and when I have them is to teach them how to think, not what to think. I think 13 is old enough that you can tell him what you believe, but that he should ask questions, learn all he can, and come to his own conclusion about the matter. Just assure him that you'll be deliberate about relaying what you don't know, and that you'll always be honest with him and help him to find truth if you can.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(June 15, 2017 at 9:58 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Fuck off.

By the way, you're missing an "s" in the word weakness in your signature.
~ Erin Hunter
Quote: The public schools in our area are sub standard so we sent our boys to catholic school. 

So.... still sub-standard.  The church makes a great show of education but their schools are collapsing all across the country.

Anyway, to answer your question, I had the same issue.  I quit the church at the age of 13.  My wife was protestant...methodist or some shit...but she paid absolutely no attention to it.  Neither of my sons were baptised - which caused some friction with my parents although not for the reason you'd think.  My oldest, when he was around 14 had a jewish friend and one day he said "do you know jews don't believe in jesus?"  I said "neither do I."  I went on to explain that lots of people believed a lot f stuff because they were born into it.  It did not make it real.

Neither he nor his brother give a shit about religion and he's 41 and his brother 38.
(June 15, 2017 at 10:01 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(June 15, 2017 at 9:58 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Fuck off.

By the way, you're missing an "s" in the word weakness in your signature.

I'm also missing a shit to give.
(June 15, 2017 at 10:03 pm)Cyberman Wrote:
(June 15, 2017 at 10:01 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: By the way, you're missing an "s" in the word weakness in your signature.

I'm also missing a shit to give.

That's okay. I can find them elsewhere.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16442 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Would you like to be immortal? Little Rik 188 17988 February 20, 2017 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What would evidence of a God even look like? Excited Penguin 153 22184 September 12, 2016 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Would a story like this shock anyone I wonder? robvalue 25 4758 September 2, 2014 at 1:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I would like to speak one on one with an informed atheist. Arbitraryusername 16 4575 November 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Atheists: Would you like to have wings Moira 40 6727 September 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  So I asked some christians if they would give it their best shot at converting me Lemonvariable72 33 10449 September 6, 2013 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Would you like if all people became atheists? Simsim 61 12309 June 20, 2013 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  I Would Like To Talk to Atheists Who Aren't Assholes. Do Any of You Exist? Blackrook 98 45652 October 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  So I feel like having some fun this Sunday Demonaura 18 5827 January 25, 2009 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: CoxRox