Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Religion, If Any, Were You Before You Became An Atheist?
What Religion, If Any, Were You Before You Became An Atheist?
I'm just curious as to what religion everyone was before becoming an atheist, and what was it about your religion, or about your beliefs or therefore lack of that led you into atheism?

I was never really a full pledged member of any religion, but I was for a few years in my adolescence, into Wicca, I learned a lot and practice the religion as a "hedgewitch", but I started to realize that you can have all the faith in the world and it still doesn't matter. I started to detach myself from Wicca and from the notion that religion is a necessary component to life.
RE: What Religion, If Any, Were You Before You Became An Atheist?
Relaxed Catholic (Irish Mother).

Never really thought about religion until I was 23 (now 35). My boss at the time was a Turkish fella who fled Turkey to England when he was young, for political reasons. He was firmly against religion and forced me to question it.

Never looked back. He was right.
Roman Catholic. I had to attend and pretend to care for a long time. don't know if i ever believed. Liz Hurley did more to convince me hell was real then they ever did
Catholic....probably why I despise the bastards even more than protestant fucktards.
I attended the Mormon Church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) with the rest of my family early in my childhood for the same reason every child attends anything - because my parents told me I had to go so I went. I eventually figured out how to get out of going because I never honestly felt like I had any reason to want to be there. Eventually, I figured out why and I became the person I am now, religiously ever since.
This would have been when I was about ten or eleven, give or take. I didn't tell anyone until years later but the reception of that news went rather well and none of my relationships or friendships changed. My friends, as I've discovered, have a similar outlook and are either atheists themselves or agnostic, which didn't surprise me given that I've known them for years, but it was interesting that I had gravitated to these people and only found out after.
When my mother remarried she began to attend a methodist church with my new step-father, so my immediate family is no longer Mormon but certain aunts, cousins, and grandparents still attend.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
This is a difficult question for me to answer philosophically, because my deconversion process was rather long drawn out when I think about it.

Before I became an atheist, I was a deist long before I acknowledged that critical change of position in my core beliefs, I was irreligious. I was pious in the sense that I still believed in a god, and it had relevancy in my life to some extent but was aberrant to the 'denominable' Christian orthodoxy in that could not care for the fiasco of getting up early on one day out of seven that was supposed to be my one-day off to worship a god I recognised, or simulated in my mind at least, as a 'superior being' would not care for or even want our devotion, and by worship I mean stand up, sit down, and kneel when told to by Emperor Palpatine.
Christian Blush
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
I was an atheist before I was anything else. So I just returned to my roots. Smile
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I was raised non-religious. In my teens I became a Christian, because I was depressed and lonely and the whole idea was comforting at the time. It seemed like an easy solution to my problems: go to church, pray, listen to the platitudes of other religious people, remember that God loves you, etc. Then I went into a dangerously deep depression that lasted for years and years. My Christian friends turned their backs. I fucking prayed endlessly for God to take the pain away. Near the end, I finally realized that no one was listening.

Going to university finally put the nail in my religious coffin. Any lingering faith I had quickly deteriorated and died. I got help for the depression, from real live people and real medical treatments, and finally got better. I learned more about the world, steadily felt healthier and happier, and here I am today, a strong and satisfied atheist.

God won't solve your problems, because he doesn't exist. And belief in him is a pretty shitty placebo, from my experience, because of all the guilt that comes with it. Atheism is freedom for the mind, and much more conducive to sanity.
[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
I was a semi-muslim between 8 and 14
V.I. Lenin Wrote:The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class shall represent and repress them in parliament.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 2235 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3096 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1518 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4028 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6414 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any ? Rahn127 1167 87725 January 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 11662 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4075 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Before I was born... Jehanne 12 1712 June 26, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7564 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet