Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 5:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apollo 11 documentary....
Apollo 11 documentary....
I was just watching a documentary and one of the Astronauts basically argued that how someone can look back at the earth and not see God in all this. And I wanted to puke. God is so great he made it so if you took your helmet off on the moon you'd fucking die! I really hate how humans confuse "pretty" and "awesome" to a God existing. Life also has some very nasty shit in it too. That moon they landed on was a result of a very violent collision. And how nice of this alleged God to stick humans on this tiny rock full of hurricanes, earthquakes, tornado's, landslides, floods, bacteria. And allegedly wants us to "be fruitful and multiply", well our species is overrunning this planet and destroying it with pollution, and we have no planet B as of now. 

I really enjoyed the science aspect of shows like that, but damn it, I really hate it when they ruin a good thing by attributing their amazing accomplishment to a fictional invisible friend.
RE: Apollo 11 documentary....
'Low it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The universe is made for humans ... 99.9999% of it will kill you in seconds, too hot, too cold, too much radiation, no air, toxic air... perfectly designed for humans!

btw, an excelent series of podcasts from the BBC on the Apollo 11 landings, well worth a listen,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx...yer?page=1
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

What's been on the moon?
A human made space pod
humans
A flag
Confirmation bias

Got it.
(July 16, 2019 at 12:02 pm)RainShark Wrote: What's been on the moon?
A human made space pod
humans
A flag
Confirmation bias

Got it.

Several tracking stations triangulated the signals from the Moon.
What are the odds that all astronauts would be irreligious? Bound to be a smart nut in the bunch.
(July 16, 2019 at 1:10 pm)Shell B Wrote: What are the odds that all astronauts would be irreligious? Bound to be a smart nut in the bunch.

Buzz Aldrin was very religious. He wanted to be the first out of the lander so he could praise God. God had already decided that the shape of the door out of the confined space made Armstrong the only one who could get out first.
It's odd how quite clever people can be religious, but there are plenty of them. They just don't apply those smarts to their beliefs.
(July 16, 2019 at 1:06 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(July 16, 2019 at 12:02 pm)RainShark Wrote: What's been on the moon?
A human made space pod
humans
A flag
Confirmation bias

Got it.

Several tracking stations triangulated the signals from the Moon.

Apollo 11 took place at the height of the cold war, you can bet the Russians tracked it every inch of the way to the Moon, if it had been fake Pravda would have massive headlines screaming "Fake!" About 400,000 engineers and technicians can keep a secret for 50 years?? A lunar orbiter has taken pictures of the landing sites showing the remains of the LEM and tracks from later moon rovers, Retro reflectors on the surface?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(July 16, 2019 at 4:02 pm)Shell B Wrote: It's odd how quite clever people can be religious, but there are plenty of them. They just don't apply those smarts to their beliefs.

I've never understood how some scientists like Hawking got it but Ben Carson still chalks his skills up to a sky hero. 

I can't do a fraction to save my life. But I do get the simple reality that we know a hell of a lot more now than we did in antiquity. The only thing I can think is that even with the Christian or Jew or Hindu or Buddhist who accepts parts of science, but freak out when you point out the conflicts science has with their respective religions, I still think it it is primal psychological fear of being finite.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strayan skool system -documentary.. ignoramus 5 520 November 26, 2019 at 10:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just watched a nature documentary. Brian37 1 367 July 20, 2019 at 6:29 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Simulation Theory Documentary Neo-Scholastic 25 5281 August 30, 2016 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Fascinating Documentary Minimalist 11 1411 May 4, 2016 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Lawrence Krauss vs documentary filmmaker JJRambo 0 815 December 29, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: JJRambo
Thumbs Up Climate Change Documentary 5thHorseman 1 1467 April 1, 2012 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Lieutenant Commander Data