Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombay High Court Rules Astrology To Be a Science

It looks like the USA / UK / Australia aren't the only countries with uneducated morons in positions of power.

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
RE: Bombay High Court Rules Astrology To Be a Science
You know what's funny? Just last week I was at lunch with our plant manager, an engineer who went to Clemson University, and he is Indian. He said the pressure Indian families put on their children to go into prestigious "smart" jobs (such as engineer, doctor, architect, etc) is immense - as is the pressure to do well in school. You would think with such an emphasis on education, more people would be against this sort of nonsense.

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I think those idiots have their turbans tied to tightly.
(February 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: You know what's funny? Just last week I was at lunch with our plant manager, an engineer who went to Clemson University, and he is Indian. He said the pressure Indian families put on their children to go into prestigious "smart" jobs (such as engineer, doctor, architect, etc) is immense - as is the pressure to do well in school. You would think with such an emphasis on education, more people would be against this sort of nonsense.

I noticed some Indian and Chinese educated scientists and engineers treat science as a skill to be mastered for a career, not a philosophical approach to truth finding to be adopted. It is as if science is analogous to accounting, only the bag of tricks and the body of rules to be mastered is much greater and move involved in science than in accounting. To them, adopting the sceintific approach seems to fundamentally be a career development measure rather than an act of self-enlightenment. They may learn these tricks and know those rules exceedingly well, and is able to excel on a day-to-day basis in a scientific establishment. They may become outstanding Romans while in Rome. But They often see no conflict between what they do for their day job, where they may do highly proficient and respected scientific work, and the attitude they take outside work, which may be distinctly superstitious and irrational. I knew one Chinese educated physics professor who is well respected in her field during the day, and a devotee of what I can only describe as a moronic homeopathic meditation cult at night. When she developed treatable breast cancer she rejected modern medicine and resorted to her healing meditation. She died from her treatable but untreated cancer.
Perhaps I just see a disconnect where someone is able to take what happens in their work day and throw it out and be someone different at home. If you're using some principles at work, how do you not go home and think "wait a minute..."

[shrugs] I've never been able to not be the same person thinking and personality-wise in work/school/home/internet, so what do I know? Maybe other people have better compartmentalizing abilities and therefore they shut off the processing part behind closed doors.

Of course, I guess the important thing to remember is that those who make the laws...aren't necessarily science-educated. Something I as an American should be QUITE familiar with.
(February 3, 2011 at 5:06 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Perhaps I just see a disconnect where someone is able to take what happens in their work day and throw it out and be someone different at home. If you're using some principles at work, how do you not go home and think "wait a minute..."

[shrugs] I've never been able to not be the same person thinking and personality-wise in work/school/home/internet, so what do I know? Maybe other people have better compartmentalizing abilities and therefore they shut off the processing part behind closed doors.

Of course, I guess the important thing to remember is that those who make the laws...aren't necessarily science-educated. Something I as an American should be QUITE familiar with.

I think it is an artifact of craming and rote learning practiced in the Chinese and maybe Indian educational systems. This system of learning create students who are exceptionally good as doing what it takes to beat the exames and excel performance reviews, but really does not spent time digesting the full implication of what they learned.

Darling, that happens in the US educational system as well. It's called "Standardized Testing" and it's already producing kids who can call out facts but who can't actually process.
American students are pretty weak on the facts, too.

http://www.theledger.com/article/2011013...se-Concern
(February 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote: American students are pretty weak on the facts, too.

http://www.theledger.com/article/2011013...se-Concern

And while there continues to be an increasing call to teach creationism as a viable alternative to reality they will always struggle with science.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Astrology is such obvious crap that I can't believe anyone takes it seriously. What the hell does the position of a planet have to do with my personality or life?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it cringy to point out that astrology is fake? Sicnoo0 44 3240 September 30, 2023 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do you believe in astrology? Porcupine 30 4798 December 12, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: nathan5
  Astrology: What's your Thoughts? RiddledWithFear 53 6678 December 7, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Astrology challange. purplepurpose 192 37611 December 6, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Astrology? IAOALGIV 375 38387 January 16, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Astrology proven to be scientific (according to M. Adams) L.A.F. 7 3985 May 6, 2013 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: viocjit