Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you happy where you live?
Are you happy where you live?
I feel that I live such a boring life. I am currently a university student, and even though I have tried to go out with classmates, etc., I have utterly failed. I don’t even feel it is my fault. It simply doesn’t happen.

And in general, the life in my country is boring. There is nothing to do, and people are not exactly friendly. I have a few Japanese/Korean friends and I love my time with them.

Currently working towards getting a scholarship to Japan to finally live my life. How about you?
RE: Are you happy where you live?
It's easy to get into a rut and blame it on where you live. I've been there.

There's definitely a downer in living in a place where the culture, climate or other attribute is out of whack with your preferences. Blaming your problems on your environment (or anything else for that matter) can be a crutch though.

I used to be in the U.S. Air Force. I had the good fortune to be stationed for 3 years at Patrick AFB in Cocoa Beach, Florida. It was one of the top-3 requested assignments available. You had a world-class beach across the street. You had theme park heaven 60 miles away in Orlando. There was the only coral reef in the continental U.S. to scuba dive on, world-class partying at South Beach in Miami. You could watch the space shuttle launch at close-range. This place was incredible! And guys glumly hung around the dorms and complained that there was nothing to do. Just blew my mind.

Things might suck where you are and I sympathize but if you take time to search for what is available with an open mind, you might be surprised.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(August 18, 2019 at 10:41 pm)Macoleco Wrote: I feel that I live such a boring life. I am currently a university student, and even though I have tried to go out with classmates, etc., I have utterly failed. I don’t even feel it is my fault. It simply doesn’t happen.

And in general, the life in my country is boring. There is nothing to do, and people are not exactly friendly. I have a few Japanese/Korean friends and I love my time with them.

Currently working towards getting a scholarship to Japan to finally live my life. How about you?

I was born in America, but have lived in Japan since 1988. I like it a lot. 

May I ask about how you imagine life in Japan to be different from where you are?
(August 18, 2019 at 11:41 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: It's easy to get into a rut and blame it on where you live. I've been there.

There's definitely a downer in living in a place where the culture, climate or other attribute is out of whack with your preferences. Blaming your problems on your environment (or anything else for that matter) can be a crutch though.

I used to be in the U.S. Air Force. I had the good fortune to be stationed for 3 years at Patrick AFB in Cocoa Beach, Florida. It was one of the top-3 requested assignments available. You had a world-class beach across the street. You had theme park heaven 60 miles away in Orlando. There was the only coral reef in the continental U.S. to scuba dive on, world-class partying at South Beach in Miami. You could watch the space shuttle launch at close-range. This place was incredible! And guys glumly hung around the dorms and complained that there was nothing to do. Just blew my mind.

Things might suck where you are and I sympathize but if you take time to search for what is available with an open mind, you might be surprised.

Thanks for the advice. I will start investigating what things I can do.

(August 18, 2019 at 11:58 pm)Belaqua Wrote:
(August 18, 2019 at 10:41 pm)Macoleco Wrote: I feel that I live such a boring life. I am currently a university student, and even though I have tried to go out with classmates, etc., I have utterly failed. I don’t even feel it is my fault. It simply doesn’t happen.

I was born in America, but have lived in Japan since 1988. I like it a lot. 

May I ask about how you imagine life in Japan to be different from where you are?

Many things:

- Safer (I live in a third world country in Central America). You can safely do any activities at night.
- More cultural activities.
- Basically endless entertainment. There are a lot of japanese artists who I like, and I would love to go their concerts, etc. This also includes movies, events such as the comiket, etc.
- Better public transport (having to wait for the bus for 1 hour under the rain at 6 pm is not nice)
- More "in house made" things, such as restaurants, etc.
- Clean streets. This may be normal for people who live in developed countries, but it is a big luxury.
- Practicing sports such as running or cycling is easier due to the safe streets,demarcations, etc. 
- Love the language.
- Culture of respect, and trying not to bother other people (where I live is the contrary).
- Access to the newest technology.
- More work opportunities.

I think the list goes on
(August 19, 2019 at 12:04 am)Macoleco Wrote: Many things:

- Safer (I live in a third world country in Central America). You can safely do any activities at night.
- More cultural activities.
- Basically endless entertainment. There are a lot of japanese artists who I like, and I would love to go their concerts, etc. This also includes movies, events such as the comiket, etc.
- Better public transport (having to wait for the bus for 1 hour under the rain at 6 pm is not nice)
- More "in house made" things, such as restaurants, etc.
- Clean streets. This may be normal for people who live in developed countries, but it is a big luxury.
- Practicing sports such as running or cycling is easier due to the safe streets,demarcations, etc. 
- Love the language.
- Culture of respect, and trying not to bother other people (where I live is the contrary).
- Access to the newest technology.
- More work opportunities.

I think the list goes on

Yup! All of those things! Good luck to you!

You probably know, that the more of the language you can handle, the more you'll get out of the country. Even a little bit helps a lot. If you have in mind a university or city you're headed for, you might Google around and find an on-line English-language web site for that place. There will be info for expats, and you might find a classified ad for someone wanting to do exchange lessons by Skype before you move -- an hour where they teach you Japanese in exchange for an hour where you teach them your language. 

This site has been useful for me:

http://gethiroshima.com

It's local to Hiroshima, but I'm sure every city of any size has similar sites.
Yes and no; my life is generally inside the house now; I have Multiple Sclerosis which turns very very ugly with the heat; and Saudi Arabia -where I live- is quite hot.

Inside the house my family loves me and I love them, I have what I need to go through the day. It gets very boring sometimes but it's better than nothing. But I'm a foreigner in KSA which sucks big time, I have to go through the racist laws against foreigners, and remember everyday that I'm an unwanted fella in this place.

I want to travel to a colder place, but I don't know how, no country wants to take M.S patients. I'm expecting to find a better life outside the Middle East.
I like it here. It's very peaceful and the social cohesion is great. I don't even have to lock the doors since everyone is so peaceful. Very little crime, even though I live just outside the capital, where most of the bad stuff goes down. I live in a rich welfare state - high taxes, sure - but we get our money's worth.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(August 18, 2019 at 11:58 pm)Belaqua Wrote:  

I was stationed in Japan for a few years back in the '80s. Loved the country. I learned that "courtesy is the grease of civilization". At stoplights people would turn off their headlights so the drivers opposite wouldn't get the glare. Taxi drivers open doors for their passenger. (Remote level, in the spirit of efficiency. (Another thing I liked.))
I don't like my neighborhood. I'm kind of poor, but not so much that I worry about paying bills, or affording my vehicle. But I have poorer neighbors that always come over asking for a few bucks, or a ride, and it's usually to buy beer, or waste money on some other thing.

I live in the US, and sometimes wish I didn't live in this country anymore. Or at least didn't live in the bible belt anymore.

There are worse places to live, but I know there are better places as well.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's great here.

I just wish the winters were harsher.

It keeps out the riff-raff....

Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone visit a volcano, or live near a volcano? Brian37 27 1356 October 21, 2021 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  24 hours to live onlinebiker 115 5622 January 1, 2021 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  If you could live in a fairy tale Foxaèr 35 5857 November 11, 2018 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Would you want to live here? Foxaèr 22 4012 April 28, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: c172
  Anyone live near Washington DC? Whateverist 25 1799 April 1, 2018 at 2:59 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Forced To Live With An Obnoxious Person Mechaghostman2 21 3392 January 16, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How to know if you live in a Patriarchy or Matriarchy ErGingerbreadMandude 11 1862 December 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  How are the Cops like where you live? ErGingerbreadMandude 68 7701 February 16, 2017 at 11:28 am
Last Post: frankiej
  What's your favorite thing about the country you live in? Edwardo Piet 48 8046 February 9, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  UK TV Licensing and Live YouTube Edwardo Piet 7 967 September 27, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII