Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special Relativity. Lifetime.
Special Relativity. Lifetime.
Special relativity indicates that, for an observer in an inertial frame of reference a clock that is moving relative to him will be measured to tick slower than a clock that is at rest in his frame of reference. This case is sometimes called special relativistic time dilation. The faster the relative velocity the greater the time dilation between one another, with the rate of time reaching zero as one approaches the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s).

This causes massless particles that travel at the speed of light to be unaffected by the passage of time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

The mind can move fast.

So going by this special relativity can the mind stop time?

I do know we can enter another dimension going beyond our perceived space.
Out of body experiences show this place that we call reality is not the only place we can exist in.
Then why is this ability not being used to expand our minds and advance human potential?

Becoming multidimensional beings and also having timeless thought might be able to help solve some problems.
RE: Special Relativity. Lifetime.
I think our brains do slow down time, all the time, but you, the interface, are oblivious.

(November 21, 2019 at 9:36 pm)Little lunch Wrote: I think our brains do slow down time, all the time, but you, the interface, are oblivious.

Sense of time?
Like time feeling fast when having fun or time dragging on when not.
Or time feeling slow when waiting and expecting something.

Like the feeling of time slowing down when adrenaline kicks in (as the mind speeds up).
At work.

Your subjective experience doesn't effect objective reality.

We can't push clouds with our minds.
(November 21, 2019 at 9:00 pm)Stoneheart Wrote: Special relativity indicates that, for an observer in an inertial frame of reference a clock that is moving relative to him will be measured to tick slower than a clock that is at rest in his frame of reference. This case is sometimes called special relativistic time dilation. The faster the relative velocity the greater the time dilation between one another, with the rate of time reaching zero as one approaches the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s).

This causes massless particles that travel at the speed of light to be unaffected by the passage of time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

The mind can move fast.

So going by this special relativity can the mind stop time?

I do know we can enter another dimension going beyond our perceived space.
Out of body experiences show this place that we call reality is not the only place we can exist in.
Then why is this ability not being used to expand our minds and advance human potential?

Becoming multidimensional beings and also having timeless thought might be able to help solve some problems.

OBEs, huh? Okay. We should have a matrix here that lists all the crackpot shit, complete with correlations listed for the various ideas. I studied SR at university while earning my degree in physics, and OBEs were not mentioned. Must be because they aren't science.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(November 21, 2019 at 10:28 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

Your subjective experience doesn't effect objective reality.

We can't push clouds with our minds.

If you can use subjective experience by entering an alternative reality to extend the amount of thought in relation to time then you have affected objective reality. Time to think.

Cant bring physical things back but information from thought is possible or perhaps practicing coordination on some new dancing moves.
The mind doesn't actually "move" all that fast, and you've employed a shift in meaning at the outset.

The brain "moves" so slowly, that you can drown out it's ability to transmit everyday signals..just by playing a musical instrument, or raking a garden. That feeling of things "speeding up" for example..that's not actually your brain changing speeds, it's just struggling to assign the usual processing power to the item in your attention. Time "slowing down"..much the same, but in reverse. It;s task list has been cleared, your focus has been allocated to that item to the exclusion of others.

If, instead, we contained ourselves to wondering whether the brain can take a moment in time, in it;s recollection, and "pause" it, or fast forward or reverse to replay it, even imagining other decisions and outcomes...then yes. That may actually be the evolutionary function of all that brainpower we have between our ears. To play, and project, and derive useful information from the recollection of past events to be accessed in future circumstances. In this way, we can circumvent the problem of it's signal speed and capacity. We don't have to think things through when they happen, we can have a plan in place, selected out of and endless array of potentialities, of waking and sleeping dreams - possibly saving that one moment in future time that saves our life.

In any case, none of the information in your brain is coming from some alternate dimension..it isn't even coming from across the room in this dimension. It's thoroughly local. You aren't going anywhere to bring anything back from.

You're already there.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What do you even mean by the mind moving fast? Physical movement through space?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I trust this won't turn into a woo fest ...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(November 22, 2019 at 3:46 am)ignoramus Wrote: I trust this won't turn into a woo fest ...

There's not much turning left to do...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Special Report on Sexuality and Gender by New Atlantis Neo-Scholastic 51 13330 October 18, 2016 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is so special about us?!? Tiberius 67 19247 February 14, 2010 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Purple Rabbit