Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My argument for atheism +
My argument for atheism +
Atheism: The belief that God almost certainly doesn't exist.

Reason for this: There is no evidence for god where there should be (not just that "there is no evidence..." that's agnosticism.)

Counter from theists: God created the universe/did the fine tuning/created humans/the Kalam/The argument from contingency/the Fine Tuning argument etc etc.

My counter for atheism that beats all arguments for God: God doesn't have a brain or neurons - he's immaterial not made of matter or energy - so how can he think thoughts or have knowledge? Without a brain or neurons he couldn't create a universe or create anything else.

I've never got any evidence that God can think without a brain or neurons.
RE: My argument for atheism +
(November 22, 2019 at 10:22 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: Atheism: The belief that God almost certainly doesn't exist.

Reason for this: There is no evidence for god where there should be (not just that "there is no evidence..." that's agnosticism.)

Counter from theists: God created the universe/did the fine tuning/created humans/the Kalam/The argument from contingency/the Fine Tuning argument etc etc.

My counter for atheism that beats all arguments for God: God doesn't have a brain or neurons - he's immaterial not made of matter or energy - so how can he think thoughts or have knowledge? Without a brain or neurons he couldn't create a universe or create anything else.

I am new to atheism but consider myself an agnostic atheist, meaning I don't believe in any god claims but I do not claim there is no god. While I think your reason - there is no evidence for god where there should be - is a bit of evidence itself against there being a god I don't think it goes as far as saying there is for sure no god, your counter that defeats all arguments for god... well I don't think its a good one honestly, your giving a god you don't believe actually exist attributes and you have no evidence he actually has these attributes if he were to exist, if there is a god we can't be sure he has what we would know as a brain, we wouldn't know how he functions at all, it would likely be beyond our comprehension at this time. Just because we have no evidence that something can't think without a brain doesn't mean it isn't possible because we don't know everything. Keep reading on these forums and check out some atheist literature or shows like the atheist experience there isn't a single argument that defeats all arguments for god, from what I have seen there simply isn't enough evidence for me to believe that a god exist although again I don't make the claim he doesn't exist.
God loves you unconditionally.

(certain conditions may apply. Failure to meet these conditions may result in an eternity of torture and damnation) 
(November 22, 2019 at 10:22 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: Atheism: The belief that God almost certainly doesn't exist.

god is simply a concept, a fantasy. The theist could respond that their god can think and have thoughts without a human/animal like brain and neurons, why, because it's god.  

Theists have created a god fantasy, much the same as Superman. They can put forward all the different kinds of arguments (what you term as their counter) that the fantasy exists, but they will never be able to provide concrete evidence.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
An all-powerful god could at least get his/her/its shit straight.
(November 22, 2019 at 10:22 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: Atheism: The belief that God almost certainly doesn't exist.

Even with a brain, you couldn't do any of that either.

The argument is that God just somehow does it without going through any process of thinking. You don't need to bring up a brain anyway to see what could be wrong with such picture.

And that's strong atheism you're talking about, not atheism broadly.
You can't defeat the will to believe. There are no silver bullets, no single argument that would sway a believer. As long as there is uncertainty, doubt and ignorance in the world there is nothing atheists can do.

This comes from my experience, anecdotal it may be. Sometimes atheists trying to argue against gods just fuel believers more. To me, I have no reason to believe.

To paraphrase Feynman: I can live with doubt and uncertainty, I think its much more interesting to live in doubt and uncertainty, than to posit answers that might be wrong.
If all the energy theists expend on denying facts and evidence could be channeled into something useful like renewable energy, we could finally have those flying cars and cities on the moon.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Hey, Wakanda already has hover bikes.
Yeah, but they're pretty shit when it comes to sharing.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 22, 2019 at 10:22 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: Atheism: The belief that God almost certainly doesn't exist.

Once you allow magic, anything goes, even thinking without neurons. The crucial point is really that there is no good reason to think that any of that is real.

I disagree with the "no evidence -> agnosticism, no evidence where there should be -> atheism" definition. That sets the bar way to high and would imply that I can only be atheistic wrt falsifiable God hypetheses, and only agnostic towards any nonfalsifiable God hypothesis, and that makes it way too easy on the believers.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 3926 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27053 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25612 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12443 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  My Argument for "Gnostic Atheism" - Anyone Else? onebluethinker 7 4160 October 17, 2014 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12114 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10461 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 11990 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is your favoured argument FOR atheism Captain Scarlet 28 8692 February 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: corndog36
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38046 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack