Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best argument for Atheism in my view
Best argument for Atheism in my view
I am not an atheist per se. But if i was this would be the best argument. I was watching FMA Brotherhood and i saw this scene. What i love about this is.. it uses the story of icarus. Essentially the moral of this is, religion when created is just gonna burn itself in the end so why even try? Even if you believe it is true. What i get from the flying close to the sun story. Its just brilliant and simple

Moderator Notice
Links removed due to 30/30 violation

I personally believe abrahamic ones were more made out of spite and not truth, since if you look at the history and values of it. I believe in God of obvious good and evil. A new religious cult i made. But i am curious to what you think?
RE: Best argument for Atheism in my view
(July 23, 2019 at 5:52 am)Kimoev Wrote: what you think?

I think you're a funny sock.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(July 23, 2019 at 5:52 am)Kimoev Wrote: I am not an atheist per se. But if i was this would be the best argument. I was watching FMA Brotherhood and i saw this scene. What i love about this is.. it uses the story of icarus. Essentially the moral of this is, religion when created is just gonna burn itself in the end so why even try? Even if you believe it is true. What i get from the flying close to the sun story. Its just brilliant and simple

I personally believe abrahamic ones were more made out of spite and not truth, since if you look at the history and values of it. I believe in God of obvious good and evil. A new religious cult i made. But i am curious to what you think?

I think you have a point.  its just  different than they think it is.  The system we are in has a set of properties.  Some of those properties line up with what they say and some don't.

The best case for atheism is lining up what they know about the system we are in.  Link the observations in a coherent story line.  A god as described by most religions just doesn't fit.   Thats not to say "deny everything because theist can use it." is the way to go either. I personally don't care how religious people use it.  The universe works the way it works not how we want it too.
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
I'm not sure I follow you. Maybe the redacted link would clarify, but it's gone.

I guess you're making some version of the point that religion can't answer the great questions so it's wasted effort?

That is not an argument for atheism (seeing no valid reason to believe in any gods). It's an argument for irreligion.

The only argument for unbelief is the absence of even a shred of substantiating evidence for any deity I've ever heard of.
(July 23, 2019 at 5:52 am)Kimoev Wrote: I am not an atheist per se. But if i was this would be the best argument. I was watching FMA Brotherhood and i saw this scene. What i love about this is.. it uses the story of icarus. Essentially the moral of this is, religion when created is just gonna burn itself in the end so why even try? Even if you believe it is true. What i get from the flying close to the sun story. Its just brilliant and simple

Moderator Notice

Atheism does not rely on good or bad arguments. It doesn't rely on anything. Present an argument for the existence of a God, and I'll weigh it up..

Moderator Notice

Interesting, but I fail to see how this an argument for atheism. In my opinion, all religions are equally irrational.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

The best argument for atheism is theism.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
One does not need an argument in order to not believe bullshit. One simply needs a rational mind.
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
(July 23, 2019 at 6:31 pm)Rahn127 Wrote: One does not need an argument in order to not believe bullshit. One simply needs a rational mind.

To use a rational mind, one usually needs to make an argument, even if it's just simply that the evidence is [utterly] lacking for that which the other side is arguing.

None of what you state is an argument 'for atheism'. At best, and this is a stretch, it is an argument against religion. You do understand that many, many people believe in gods, and have no religion, right? Deists, pantheists, panentheists, for example.

Atheism is simply the disbelief in the existence of gods.

The best argument for atheism, is that theists have continuously failed, for 1000's of years, to meet their burden of proof to support their claim that a god exists.

I have no reason to come up with an argument for my disbelief in gods (atheism), just like I have no reason to come up with arguments for my disbelief in: bigfoot, alien abductions, Loch Ness monster, ghosts, etc, etc, etc. The lack of demonstrable and falsifiable evidence, and reasoned argument to support the existence of any of the previous clams, is all that I need for my atheist position.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 34688 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 558 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1780 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My argument for atheism + Tom Fearnley 166 18745 April 20, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  Best part of atheism for you Alexmahone 43 6252 January 9, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26879 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25407 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Best Living Spokesman for Atheism athrock 167 26078 December 30, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12381 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one Dolorian 16 3365 October 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam