Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is eating hunted meat ethical?
Is eating hunted meat ethical?
I'm trying to be a vegan as I think it's ethical. However animals in the wild, like Richard Dawkins says, suffer horrible deaths whilst in the wild. Hunting them and shooting them killing them quickly then consuming their meat is still therefore ethical maybe? The animal will feel less pain in its lifetime if shot to death than if it died naturally in the wild.

Correct?
RE: Is eating hunted meat ethical?
(November 23, 2019 at 6:11 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: I'm trying to be a vegan as I think it's ethical. However animals in the wild, like Richard Dawkins says, suffer horrible deaths whilst in the wild. Hunting them and shooting them killing them quickly then consuming their meat is still therefore ethical maybe? The animal will feel less pain in its lifetime if shot to death than if it died naturally in the wild.

Correct?

That's not how ethics ever work though. All round mercy killings to fight against suffering, that's a Hollywood supervillain's notion of morality.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I think any animal that is killed quickly and never treated inhumanely is fair "game."
(Commercial) "lab-grown" meat couldn't come fast enough.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
I think you might want to address the sport/trophy hunting ethics. Killing animals for food is ethical.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 23, 2019 at 6:33 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(November 23, 2019 at 6:11 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: I'm trying to be a vegan as I think it's ethical. However animals in the wild, like Richard Dawkins says, suffer horrible deaths whilst in the wild. Hunting them and shooting them killing them quickly then consuming their meat is still therefore ethical maybe? The animal will feel less pain in its lifetime if shot to death than if it died naturally in the wild.

Correct?

That's not how ethics ever work though. All round mercy killings to fight against suffering, that's a Hollywood supervillain's notion of morality.

Mercy killing would cause the animal less suffering.

(November 23, 2019 at 6:35 pm)Shell B Wrote: I think any animal that is killed quickly and never treated inhumanely is fair "game."

1) If we were all vegan there would be no starving people?
2) Animals killed on the farm feel pain when killed (being electrocuted then bolted in the head would hurt a lot. Sometimes the machine goes wrong and the bolt doesn't kill the animal "quickly", causing even more suffering to the animal.)
3) A meat eater diet damages the environment more so than a vegan one.
It's probably not ethical if we think of animals having rights and such. But ultimately, I eat meat because I love meat and feel that I need to eat meat every now and then in order to survive. Whether it's hunted meat or otherwise, it's basically the same from my POV. I don't pretend there's anything ethical much about this.

And letting it die naturally [in the wild] isn't necessarily less ethical than shooting it. Replace [non-human] animal with human and you'll see what I mean.
(November 23, 2019 at 6:11 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: I'm trying to be a vegan as I think it's ethical. However animals in the wild, like Richard Dawkins says, suffer horrible deaths whilst in the wild. Hunting them and shooting them killing them quickly then consuming their meat is still therefore ethical maybe? The animal will feel less pain in its lifetime if shot to death than if it died naturally in the wild.

Correct?

Not really. Why must you raise topics that are currently in question on active threads?

Is it an odd fetish or something?
(November 23, 2019 at 7:11 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:

Correct?

Not really. Why must you raise topics that are currently in question on active threads?

THIS is an active topic? REALLY? You wouldn't think. Big Grin

Why "not really"?

(November 23, 2019 at 7:05 pm)Grandizer Wrote: It's probably not ethical if we think of animals having rights and such. But ultimately, I eat meat because I love meat and feel that I need to eat meat every now and then in order to survive. Whether it's hunted meat or otherwise, it's basically the same from my POV. I don't pretend there's anything ethical much about this.

And letting it die naturally [in the wild] isn't necessarily less ethical than shooting it. Replace [non-human] animal with human and you'll see what I mean.

I don't eat animals because they feel pain EDIT: but hunted animals would feel a lot less pain than if kept in the wild to suffer and die naturally.. I don't think they have the "Right To Live" like humans do. We can decide for them if hunted meat perhaps?
(November 23, 2019 at 7:31 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote:
(November 23, 2019 at 7:11 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote: Not really. Why must you raise topics that are currently in question on active threads?

THIS is an active topic? REALLY? You wouldn't think. Big Grin

Why "not really"?

(November 23, 2019 at 7:05 pm)Grandizer Wrote: It's probably not ethical if we think of animals having rights and such. But ultimately, I eat meat because I love meat and feel that I need to eat meat every now and then in order to survive. Whether it's hunted meat or otherwise, it's basically the same from my POV. I don't pretend there's anything ethical much about this.

I don't eat animals because they feel pain EDIT: but hunted animals would feel a lot less pain than if kept in the wild to suffer and die naturally.. I don't think they have the "Right To Live" like humans do. We can decide for them if hunted meat perhaps?

Then again, the argument could be made that hunting is less  ethical, because it's disrupting the natural order.  Suppose Joe shoots a deer.  That deer may have shat out seeds that would have grown into plants which could have provided food, shelter and breeding/nesting areas for dozens of species.  Without those plants, hundreds of individual organisms may experience pain and suffering which would otherwise have been avoided.

Have a steak and calm down.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Picking your nose and eating it yes/no Duty 7 446 March 5, 2022 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Duty
  Vegans & meat grown in a lab Rahn127 51 2987 November 7, 2018 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Dr H