Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jews don't get a pass from me either.
Jews don't get a pass from me either.
So this morning on "Morning Joe" Mika did an interview with a lady author who wrote a book of how she "re-discovered" Jewish traditions. I wish I had caught the lady's name and the book, but I multi task so I was reading on line while listening to the show in the background. 

Anyway, so she told a story I'd heard from countless Christians too. Wen't something like, " I was cafeteria Jew, really only went to one or two Jewish holiday events per year, was never really active." And just like many Christians, she suffered some emotional stress in her life and wanted to seek comfort. In her case, it was a bad breakup that made her depressed. So she went to a Synagogue and her words "was blown away", by the "wisdom" of old traditions and "how to live a good life and be a better person."

It isn't that she is a bad person. I think most humans are good. But I was a annoyed by the same argument she made I've heard from other religions too. " It isn't enough to simply say "do what you want as long as you don't hurt other people".  

My point is, in our species entire history worldwide, anyone of any religion can point to moral stories and stories of kindness and empathy. I think it is wrong to attach "wisdom" to any one religion as if they are a patent holder. There have always been good people and bad people worldwide in our species history. And even today Israel like every nation, it too also has prisons. 

Anne Frank was a good person too. But so was Oscar Schindler and Chinue Sugihara who forged paperwork to save 6,000 Jews. 

There are moral stories in Buddhism and Hinduism and even in Islam. 

That says to me, that our species ability to do good isn't in religion, although most of the world certainly likes to attribute it to religion, but in our species. Even she said in the interview non Jews can be good and do good too. I agree, so again, I'd suggest if one can accept that, then it is our species, as individuals, and not a religion doing it.

In Muslim parts of the middle east their ambulances have a crescent moon and star on them. In Israel their ambulances have the Star Of David on them. In America we have hospitals named after sects, like Methodist, Or Baptist, or saints. In Buddhist countries they also have hospitals, and their monks advocate for charitable giving too.

Worldwide in antiquity, there is a rich history that should be valued and remembered yes, for history purposes.  But no one religion owns a patent on morality. Not to mention our species was around long before any written religion or city state for that matter. The problem has always been for religion, is that for all the good any religion claims to do, it also at the same time causes division and tribalism, and not just between different religions, but even between the different sects under the same umbrella label.  And even with Jews, they also have liberal and conservative Jews that do not agree. 

And to be fair in all this, I also say the same about atheists. Even we have conservative atheists, liberal atheists, and even we don't always agree on social issues, political issues, or economic issues. 

I think humans can if they choose, remember history because it is important to learn from, but the idea that the morality of antiquity still applies today, based on the social norms of antiquity is misleading. Life worldwide in antiquity was far more tribal in an age of kings, and the average lifespan was far shorter, and especially with females, far more patriarchal where females had less rights, if any.  

I listen to stories like hers, and having heard them from other religions too, it always reminds me of Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech. Humans really are merely temporary masters. It frustrates me to see the good in my fellow humans knowing that progress has also come about by questioning social norms. As much as I love liberal Jews, and liberal Christians, and liberal Muslims, or any liberal of any religion, it still frustrates me to know that the people of antiquity worldwide did not have anything close to our modern knowledge of our planet, universe, evolutionary biology, and even human psychology, yet humans still insist on clinging to the past.

No, I am not in any way suggesting the forced end of any religion, as if one could or should. I am saying humans are capable of valuing history to learn from, yet also be willing to adapt to better data. Just like with Christians and Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists, I'd ask, think about all the religions you don't buy into. Think about all the ancient mythology you don't buy into. There are lots of stories of heroism and kindness in those mythologies as well. 

The the truth is that our species morality is in us as individuals, not in a religion, not in a holy writing or holy person. Most humans are good, I simply disagree with where most humans think our morality is coming from.
RE: Jews don't get a pass from me either.
Blinders and feel-me-goods come in all varieties, Gandalf.
You never got a pass from me. But little good that seems to have done you.
(December 23, 2019 at 6:09 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: You never got a pass from me.   But little good that seems to have done you.

I hope you don't give me a pass. Life is boring with blind loyalists.
(December 23, 2019 at 12:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote: she went to a Synagogue and her words "was blown away", by the "wisdom" of old traditions and "how to live a good life and be a better person."

At any point did this woman argue that Judaism is the only framework within which one can be a good person? That's what you seem to be arguing against. 

Many people find that their own wisdom is insufficient, and it helps to join in a more substantial tradition. That doesn't mean they begin to hate others.
(December 23, 2019 at 9:07 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(December 23, 2019 at 12:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote: she went to a Synagogue and her words "was blown away", by the "wisdom" of old traditions and "how to live a good life and be a better person."

At any point did this woman argue that Judaism is the only framework within which one can be a good person? That's what you seem to be arguing against. 

Many people find that their own wisdom is insufficient, and it helps to join in a more substantial tradition. That doesn't mean they begin to hate others.

Please read all my posts carefully. SHE DID claim that non Jews could be good as well. My point was/is, as with every religion, if one is willing to accept that others outside your own label can be good, my argument is that one should consider that morality isn't in the label, but in the individual.

Humans merely attribute their goodness to a label. I don't agree with that knowing that there is not one nation that does not have hospitals and prisons.Even Israel has prisons.  America has prisons, Iran and Saudi Arabia also have prisons, and all have hospitals too.

"Many people find"...... Yes, "find", I agree, but based on what? What they are sold, what they want to believe. 

Humans "find" excuses to buy into a group yes. But we are still all human.
(December 23, 2019 at 9:18 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 23, 2019 at 9:07 pm)Belacqua Wrote: At any point did this woman argue that Judaism is the only framework within which one can be a good person? That's what you seem to be arguing against. 

Please read all my posts carefully. SHE DID claim that non Jews could be good as well. My point was/is, as with every religion, if one is willing to accept that others outside your own label can be good, my argument is that one should consider that morality isn't in the label, but in the individual.

Humans merely attribute their goodness to a label. I don't agree with that knowing that there is not one nation that does not have hospitals and prisons.Even Israel has prisons.  America has prisons, Iran and Saudi Arabia also have prisons, and all have hospitals too.

"Many people find"...... Yes, "find", I agree, but based on what? What they are sold, what they want to believe. 

It sounds as if you’re only satisfied if people find happiness on YOUR terms, and I think that’s rather short-sighted.  If a return to Judaism helps her to be a better person, so what?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 23, 2019 at 9:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 23, 2019 at 9:18 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Please read all my posts carefully. SHE DID claim that non Jews could be good as well. My point was/is, as with every religion, if one is willing to accept that others outside your own label can be good, my argument is that one should consider that morality isn't in the label, but in the individual.

It sounds as if you’re only satisfied if people find happiness on YOUR terms, and I think that’s rather short-sighted.  If a return to Judaism helps her to be a better person, so what?

Boru

Please spare me.

I am not out to dictate to the world. I am arguing if somone, anyone agrees we are all humans, then the idea that a religion/god makes us different, I do object to that logic. 

"So what" in what context? If she returns to her Jewish faith, not a damned legal thing I can do, nor would want to do to stop her. 

But in terms of logic, which if you would read my prior post, makes no logical sense. I am sure it makes her happy, but that doesn't make it provable.  

I have seen plenty of people in my life who are weekend worshipers, or holiday worshipers, OF MANY religions, who don't go regularly, and don't follow the traditions, whom, upon sudden stress fall back into it. I have a family member who came out to me almost a decade ago being a former Christian, called herself an atheist. Earlier this year she unfortunately lost both her adoptive parents on top of getting a divorce. Now she claims she is "Knights Templar" Christian. 

If you read my prior post, the lady on the show said that she had gone through a bad breakup. Trauma causes humans to seek out comfort. It does not mean what they seek comfort from is provable. 

She found a placebo, she did not find a provable truth that is universal.
(December 23, 2019 at 9:40 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 23, 2019 at 9:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It sounds as if you’re only satisfied if people find happiness on YOUR terms, and I think that’s rather short-sighted.  If a return to Judaism helps her to be a better person, so what?

Boru

Please spare me.

I am not out to dictate to the world. I am arguing if somone, anyone agrees we are all humans, then the idea that a religion/god makes us different, I do object to that logic. 

"So what" in what context? If she returns to her Jewish faith, not a damned legal thing I can do, nor would want to do to stop her. 

But in terms of logic, which if you would read my prior post, makes no logical sense. I am sure it makes her happy, but that doesn't make it provable.  

I have seen plenty of people in my life who are weekend worshipers, or holiday worshipers, OF MANY religions, who don't go regularly, and don't follow the traditions, whom, upon sudden stress fall back into it. I have a family member who came out to me almost a decade ago being a former Christian, called herself an atheist. Earlier this year she unfortunately lost both her adoptive parents on top of getting a divorce. Now she claims she is "Knights Templar" Christian. 

If you read my prior post, the lady on the show said that she had gone through a bad breakup. Trauma causes humans to seek out comfort. It does not mean what they seek comfort from is provable. 

Double post. See below
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 23, 2019 at 9:53 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 23, 2019 at 9:40 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Please spare me.

From your prior post, she never claimed that it was provable, just that it works for her.

And the thing about placebos is that they work. Suppose your doctor gives you a gelatin capsule and tells you that is a world class headache cure. You take it and your headache goes away. It doesn’t matter that gelatin has no analgesic properties.  In precisely the same way, this woman’s return to Judaism has helped her to be happy.  Why is that even an issue for you?

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 874 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  When Did the Jews Become Jres? Rhondazvous 10 1030 April 29, 2020 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Jews are behind the NZ killings. ignoramus 4 999 March 27, 2019 at 6:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7904 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  You don't need the Satanic bible either. Brian37 2 1191 February 21, 2015 at 3:39 pm
  Jews, Christians, and "people of the book"(islam). rsb 3 1423 March 8, 2014 at 4:21 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  How come people who are either hindus or buddhists respect Monotheism Richi1 0 867 December 27, 2013 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Richi1
  I don't really get how religion has still get tons of followers xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx 0 723 March 3, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Jews don't get a pass "just because" Brian37 38 12111 October 1, 2012 at 4:54 pm
  Oh god, the Jews do this shit too. Ziploc Surprise 8 3883 May 15, 2012 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: el_presidente