Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You don't need the Satanic bible either.
You don't need the Satanic bible either.
Sometimes I run into those who think it is a good tactic to try to replace old dogmatism, with a new book. And I also even outside this think it is a BAD idea, for atheists to have "atheist churches". It sounds harmless right now, many may be in them with good intent to reject the past .

The problem with forming any group is that it can even if harmless while small, grow to become a dogmatic force getting into politics.

There is no need for an atheist movement to mimic the tactics of religion to compete with it. And what can be viewed as harmless does not mean always harmless in the future.

We have to remember that L Ron Hubbard started a religion, just to prove he could. To say that atheists cannot take a group and become abusive in the future by turning it into a loyalty oath is an ignorance of our species behavior.

It is extremely important that the word "atheist" is not turned into a religion, a form of worship, a social order, a political party, a moral code or loyalty oath. It is a mere position. "Off" on one claim. Outside that we are just as diverse. It is not to say we should not group to advocate for the things we do agree on. Just that it should not be treated as a gang.

But as far as the "Satanic bible" we don't need that anymore than the bible. It is a work of fiction just like the bible. It should not be treated as anything else more than fiction. The word "Satan" itself is a Christian concept. Not to mention the God/Satan characters, even if viewed as fiction, I don't find either moral. Both are merely poker players in that book and humans are the poker chips.

Our species behavior is in us, not the books or clubs we flock to. We can find stories in all sorts of fiction without putting those things in the realm of worship or philosophies.

Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in our evolution and are explained by the natural sciences like psychology, psychiatry, neurology and evolution. Everything outside that is merely our own personal likes.

Using fiction to reflect our desires or social norms is fine, but those things cannot be used like a telescope. It also would not shock me if Star Wars or Harry Potter got turned into a religion. Atheists don't need to go that route.
RE: You don't need the Satanic bible either.
(February 21, 2015 at 1:45 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Using fiction to reflect our desires or social norms is fine, but those things cannot be used like a telescope. It also would not shock me if Star Wars or Harry Potter got turned into a religion. Atheists don't need to go that route.

There was already a fad in Australia to declare Jedi Knight as one's religion. I don't know if they were serious or not. The government didn't seem to think so as they made threats to prosecute people who used it when answering the national census.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: You don't need the Satanic bible either.
(February 21, 2015 at 3:32 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(February 21, 2015 at 1:45 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Using fiction to reflect our desires or social norms is fine, but those things cannot be used like a telescope. It also would not shock me if Star Wars or Harry Potter got turned into a religion. Atheists don't need to go that route.

There was already a fad in Australia to declare Jedi Knight as one's religion. I don't know if they were serious or not. The government didn't seem to think so as they made threats to prosecute people who used it when answering the national census.

It has been argued that some of the revisions of the bible were not meant to be literal but coded attacks on the politics of the time. What seems harmless now can be twisted later to be taken literally. It would sadden me if Jedi was turned into a religion, but it also would not surprise me either. If a si fi writer can start a religion never underestimate the gullibility of others to buy that bullshit.

"Satan" really is our species reflection of desire to defeat an enemy. It is a name unique to the Abraham traditions. But the motif of good vs evil, and even in polytheistic antiquity you had hero gods and villain gods or spirits the good gods fought.

It really is a comic book anthropomorphic reflection of our survival instincts. We like to succeed and we like to defeat threats to us.

All gods are are in reality is a reflection of our own desires.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3825 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jews don't get a pass from me either. Brian37 13 1478 December 24, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7577 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7876 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22226 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. emjay 564 63523 July 9, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Lucifer
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 20264 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Oh, You Talk to God, That’s Cool! I Need Some Answers Salacious B. Crumb 40 10626 August 20, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Satanic Monument IATIA 54 10241 July 29, 2015 at 2:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  But don't you know? Foxaèr 48 9373 April 19, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: robvalue