Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 7:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jews don't get a pass "just because"
Jews don't get a pass "just because"
I am listening to Isreal's UN speech and the Ben brought up the same stale justifications for a "Jewish state". Now before any Jews go off falsely claiming sides, STOP and please don''t bother with that bullshit.

I DO value a secular Isreal much like our Constitution says "freedom of religion" and "no religious test" in our oath of office. But that is not what they want. While Isreal is still more progressive when it comes to pluralism, it still has that same falacious attitude much like when a Christian here says "Christian Nation".

He went on to quote the 3,000 year history of Jews and used that same lame excuse of tradition and "we were here first".And he also envoked the Holcouast as an excuse to have a "Jewish state".

To all parties involved, Jew, Muslim and Christian I submit that it is precisely because your holy books claim certainty of a god claim, is all the more reason to give up on any governmental idea of a religious state. Our founders who were a variety of beleifs understood that setting up pecking orders based on religion, was a bad idea. Freedom of religion should be protected in all societies, but the laws and constitutions of any should not place special pleading to one god being more important than all others.

I cannot see peace comming from Palistinians setting up a Muslim state, nor can I see peace comming from Isreal having a "Jewish state", and no Muslim or Jew living in America, for example, would say "Sure put a cross on the capital dome because that represents me too.

A secular state that values pluralism and religious neutrality allowing all to particispate while not setting up religious litmus tests or implied pecking orders is the only thing that can ultimately bring civility.

The problem with this conflict is the same as it was with Catlholics and Prodestants in Isrland. The attitude that being special is important and not common law.

I find it sick and morally repugnant to the Jews that died horrible deaths in Europe's death camp, as a political proxy land grab. The Jews that suffered should not be a lesson that "Jews suffered" but a lesson to all humans that this is not how humans should treat each other.

No one in the west I find moral wants Jews to leave. But just like we in America admit a Christian majority, our founders have said that our laws themselves are not bible based,

"As the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" Article 11 barbary treaty signed WITHOUT dissent by both houses of congress into law by President John Adams.

Not that this is the goal of either Muslims or Jews, IT SHOULD BE. But what both sides want in reality which will never bring peace, is peace through the submission of others. At best right now, both sides have well intended people who at best, might be willing to treat the minority as a house guest.

In America freedom of religion is not set up on the bible. Nor are any of the words in the Constitution. Freedom of religion depends on a secular government who does not make claims about who is more important than the other.

I am tired of the history of both sides in "poor me" and "I have suffered" and "I am intitled". Niether side has any evolutionary understanding that neither's god claims were arround 500.000 years ago. And just like both Muslims and Jews do not buy the claims of the Ancient Egyptians, they should be able to understand why a secular state is more suited for pluralism than a state based on any religion or any sect of a religion.

I defend the western style government and open market system Isreal has. But just like they don't like the theocracy of Iran, they should not be selling the idea of even "theocracy light" where they wont harm you, but have the official stance that Jews are more special than all others. If it makes no sense for a Muslim or a Christian to say "we are more special than Jews", then the hypocracy of insisting on that implication is astounding.

The fact remains on a planet of 7 billion and over a half million years of our species evolution, if we are to have peace, it cannot be based on tradtion or religion, but the common law that remains neutral on the issue and allows all to participate without making public proclimations of whose god is best in an official capacity.

Why do I criticise Isreal? Because it is still about 100 years in the past. Although the founders were ahead of their time, it has constantly taken ov over 200 years of the use of that Constitution for Catholic JFK to get ellected, and Muslim Keith Elleson ellected and atheist Pete Stark ellected.

I see no good for either Muslims or Jews decrying tradition when the secular west has proven that your tradition DOES NOT have to go away, but it owns no rights as to proclaiming assendency over others.

My challeng to both parties involved, not that either side will listen. If either side wants a lesson on what pluralism looks like, what E-plurabus unum looks like, and a neutral state that values freedom of religion looks like, America is a constant growing example of what inclusion looks like. But that would not have happend if the founders insisted on a Jesus based Constitution.

I support a secular Isreal but I will never support a Jewish state anymore than I find it credible to claim America is a Christian nation. No, it has had a history of a majority of Christians, yes. But neither the Consitution or the founders ever claimed that America was officially a Christian state.

When any group in human history, claims their suffering is special or unique, be they Muslim, or Jew, or black or gay or atheist, it is nothing but human narcissism at work.

There have been tribal wars long before our current major beefs between the big three. But when you look at the places where their is more diversity what you see is that the laws are not religious based, but common law rooted in the idea that one's citizenship is not based on a label.

I fear that what I write here will fall both on the def ears of Muslims and Jews, when what I see is unfortunate mundane evolutionary tribalism which DOES NOT have to divide them, but does, because both sides are living in a mythological past rather than look to the future in mutual equality and cooperation.

Now, when I listened to this speech, Ben mentioned the history of his religion and the heros of his religion, so to the secular Jews and or secular Isrealis I say it is utter bullshit to falsely claim a "Jewish state" is secular. No matter how much one might want to claim "we are not bloodthristy" it is still saying " I am more special than non Jews".

The fact remains on a plaent of 7 billion we have to face that no one is going anywhere and we only serve to divide each other by insisting government play favorites creating assendencies of one religion over another. If it is wrong for Muslims and Christians to attempt it, then it is just as wrong when Jews attempt it.

Pluralism and freedom of religion cannot be religious based. It can only exist under a common law that protects the rights of all citizens without limus tests.

I urge both Palistine and Isreal to seek, not religious states, but seperate states that have neutral goverments that protect the freedom and rights of all. Any talk of a "religious state" to me is nothing more than selfish narcissim that only serves to divide.

I am not special because I am an atheist myself, nor is any Muslim or Jew or Christian. The adittude towards pluralism can only grow when we don't seek to claim to be "special", but become individuals under the unique and posititive attitude that what we have in common is not our religions, but our common condition based on common law.

Now before any Isreali or Jew responds, I am being fair to you and I do not want to hear this all or nothing blind loyalty crap. There are lots of things I see postive about a secular Isreal as it currently is and know that there are secular Isrealis who want this to end as much as the rest of the world.

No matter what country or nation or religion we are talking about, we are all the same species and sometimes dwelling in the past serves neither any good in comming to gether in the only future all of humanity has.

I'be seen this conflict go on since I was a kid. And the only thing I see is mundane evolutionary tribalism based on ancient superstition, BOTH theirs and yours.

It is an unreasonable expectation for any group of people to give up on past traditions, so in that sense no one should ask Jews to go extinct. Christianity is still here in America despite no mention in the Constitution of Jesus or Christianity getting most favored status.

I am angry at Isreal's PM and the disservice he is doing, not only to Jews, but to all of humanity and even the Palistinians he says his doctors in his country have treated.

If it is about humanity AND IT SHOULD BE, then don't make a theme park out of an entire country anymore than America should have it's name changed to "Jesusland".

Just have a state, like we do here in America where any Jew or Muslim or Atheist or Christian has the same right to compete in the open market or even run for our highest offices.

I see Isreal as the bigger person in this beef, but I still see a evolutionary tribalism that it refuses to face which is why they cannot understand what they do, while claiming to be non vilolent, is still a form of special status.

There can be no guest house on a planet of 7 billion when it is the only home any of us have. The traditions and boarders and pluralism will happen and no one is going to go away. But we cannot in our increasingly small world continue with the selfish narcisissm that a merel label makes us always better than someone else.

We are ultimatly as a species individuals first and as such a govenment must be based on that individualism by neutral concepts and common law.
RE: Jews don't get a pass "just because"
Quote:He went on to quote the 3,000 year history of Jews and used that same lame excuse of tradition and "we were here first"

And if an Apache knocked on my door and said he used to live here I'd laugh in his face and call the cops to lock the nut up. The Romans threw the Jews out of Palestine in 135 AD.

What happened is that the UN stole Palestine and gave it to the Jews. Probably in the hope of getting them out of Europe.
(September 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:He went on to quote the 3,000 year history of Jews and used that same lame excuse of tradition and "we were here first"

And if an Apache knocked on my door and said he used to live here I'd laugh in his face and call the cops to lock the nut up. The Romans threw the Jews out of Palestine in 135 AD.

What happened is that the UN stole Palestine and gave it to the Jews. Probably in the hope of getting them out of Europe.

Did you even see the contradiction in this post?

Europeans stole the land from Native Americans and I agree I would not give it back. But now you say the UN stole the land from Palistine, how is that any different?

The deed is done and there is a shelf life on that kind of thing otherwise we should as Americans give the land back to Native Americans.

How does dwelling on the past and living in the past help anyone deal with the future?

Humans compete for resources, that is an evolutionary thing, not a label thing and we have AS A SPECIES done some pretty shitty things in our evolution to get those resources.

But playing victim way after the fact, does not make one special because there has NEVER been a period in our evolution where we didn't do bad things to our fellow humans.

If one is to value human suffering then it cannot be Muslim suffering or Jewish suffering, just like we should not forget what we did to Native Americans or blacks. But the lesson should be to humanity and not the claimed right of a group that suffered.

I value Martin Luther King and Malcom X, not because they were black or because one was Muslim or Christian. I value them because they display the human struggle that all of humanity can learn from.

But collectively as a species non of our suffering is special. Pain and trama and violence are an unfortunate part of evolution that our species has always been capable of feeling and or inflicting on others.

What I see going on IS tribal and religios which only serves both sides to treat the other as a sub species. Once you patronize someone with "peace through my club" the other side views you as seeing them as the outsider, no matter how much either side claims the want peace.

I think both sides do want peace, but are completely going about it the wrong way and the violence each inflicts on the other and then responds with "I am the victim" is perpetuated by the distraction of club labels.

Whereas if both sides would skip the fucking labels and insist on seperate SECULAR states void of religious pecking orders, I think peace could be accheaved quite easly or at least be sped up.

But currently I see no solution precisely because of both sides rooted in a mythological past claiming divine tradition gave them intitlement to a land which in reality(in terms of billions of years) no one really owns. We simply squat on a parcel of land and then we die and try to pass it off to our offspring, but we are still doing the same thing.

I think if enough Jews and Muslims ever, and some already may realize this, when that becomes a majority on both sides, then that is when peace will take hold. I just dont see it happening in the climates on either side right now.

Two separate secular states that value pluralism and protection of dissent I would love to see, but neither wants to take a secular attitude.
Quote:But now you say the UN stole the land from Palistine, how is that any different?

It isn't different. That's the point.
(September 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:But now you say the UN stole the land from Palistine, how is that any different?

It isn't different. That's the point.

It is not any different. Shitty things happen in human history and we can get quite nasty with eich other. And in the moment in close proximity to the event in time frame "self defense" makes sense. Humans don't begrudge, say a homeowner shooting a robber.

What happens however far to much in humanity, long after the fact, we become like street gangs. Someone moves in on our territory, whe shoot, claim to be justified, then they send someone to shoot our tribe, then we send someone to shoot their tribe. Long term the initial wronged party loses it's credibility because they simply want revenge. I think the same thing of Palistinians. This far too long standing beef for both parties has passed its sell by date and it is getting old real quick.

Native Americans at the time their land was being taken from them, AT THE TIME had a lagitimate beef. But no sane person today would or should give the land back.

I do not expect Jews to leave Isreal at all. But I also do not think they should milk the holocaust. I don't think they should be tearing down houses or expanding "settlements". Nor do I think they should be starving all of Palistine to death.

Isreal has weapons, the slaughtered Jews who were victims of Germany were defensless. What happened then was wrong, but that was then and this is now and I do not see them as anything less than the adult between the two who should klnow better but doesn't act like it

I am simply sick of the tit for tat childish crap both sides are guilty of..
I don't really mind the Jews having a homeland, but what a shitty location they chose. How did that conversation go?

"Hey guys, lets go to a tiny piece of desert surrounded by the people who hate us the most!"

"Sounds great! Nothing can go wrong with this idea."

The problem isn't a Jewish state, and it doesn't have anything to do with the Israelis or even the Palestinians. The problem comes from the 'holy land.' Nobody is going to die over that piece of shit desert if they didn't somehow think it was holy. The Jews would of just gone somewhere else if they didn't think they have spiritual, supernatural rights to Israel. Likewise the Palestinians would of just moved on to some other part of the enormous shitty desert if they didn't think Muhammad was carried to heaven on the back of a flying horse at a magic location there.

This supernatural hogwash is seriously the reason that anybody wants this piece of shit land. There is a lot of unoccupied space left in the world.
Quote:I do not expect Jews to leave Isreal at all.

Of course they won't. I don't care if the Palestinians produced a deed signed by the Byzantine emperor to fucking mohammed himself. That's why this obsessive horseshit about how "they" ( a concept which really wouldn't stand up too well, either ) were there thousands of years ago is so stupid.

This is a modern political power question. The complicating factor is that under the Israeli system the right-wing religious parties call the shots because they have the power to bring down the government if they don't get their asses kissed.

Understand, secular Israelis regard the haredim as a much bigger annoyance than the Palestinians. They aren't allowed to just shoot them down like dogs.

Here's one example.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,...85,00.html
The zionism as it was founded was certainly not founded as a religious movement.
Theodor Herzel before writing "Der Judenstaat" wrote letters in wich he for example expressed his daydreams of "converting all jews to christianity". The Dreyfuss incident in france then convinced him that no matter what opinions or what faith a person of jewish decent would have - that person would still suffer from antisemitsim because of his jewish decent.
when israel was founded ben gureon made the big mistake of giving a "rabbi councel" the role of the nations supreme court. although israel was then founded as a secuar state, this mistake wich was actualey made under the intention of preserving jewish culture laid the bedrock for jewish fanatesism wich today kidnaps israeli politics.
So Israel has jews living there.
So Palestine has muslims living there.
So both their gods are against violence, but these two peoples are being violent against each other.
So, just to start another sentence with so.

Is it me that am just too far away from the conflict, or these people would just have to gain from making amends. Stop fighting, share the land. That's what muslims, jews, christians, hindus and whatnot do most everywhere else. Are these people just so stupid/hind sighted/bloodthirsty that they can't come to an understanding?

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking like this:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Palestine...0082469004
https://www.facebook.com/IsraelLovesPalestine
(September 27, 2012 at 11:27 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I don't really mind the Jews having a homeland, but what a shitty location they chose. How did that conversation go?

"Hey guys, lets go to a tiny piece of desert surrounded by the people who hate us the most!"

The problem isn't a Jewish state, and it doesn't have anything to do with the Israelis or even the Palestinians. The problem comes from the 'holy land.' Nobody is going to die over that piece of shit desert if they didn't somehow think it was holy. The Jews would of just gone somewhere else if they didn't think they have spiritual, supernatural rights to Israel. Likewise the Palestinians would of just moved on to some other part of the enormous shitty desert if they didn't think Muhammad was carried to heaven on the back of a flying horse at a magic location there.

This supernatural hogwash is seriously the reason that anybody wants this piece of shit land. There is a lot of unoccupied space left in the world.

I hate the idea of a religious or ratial "homeland", think about it, the Germans had the grand idea of a master race and based it on the "fatherland".

I even fucking hate our 10 year old "homeland" security name here.

No one is saying they should leave, but what matters in good governance is not who is the alpha male, but the common law that allows all to participate and compete for office, and the protection of dissent and free speech. That is what matters, not fucking trying to turn a nation into a fucking theme park.

But yea, I don't think Jews or the Allies thought much about what would happen by moving them there. And if you go by the bible stories that is a pretty shitty thing to do to a friend. Thats like a Real Estate agent selling you a house in a crack infested neighborhood.

But who cares, according to the bible Jews are just the limo driver driving the Christians to the exclusive club and are told "convert or stay outside" this is a Christian only afterlife.

America is completely different, not in the sense that it is godless, of corse it is not. But our "home" is not based on a pecking order or religious favortism, race or religion, but "E-Pluribus Unum".

That is something neither Isreal or Palestine aspire to be. At best some might water it down to treating the minority as pets who sit at the back of the bus.

I am sick of this crap that the planet is the property of any fucking religion. There is one planet and one species and it is bullshit to think any single one of the 7 billion are somehow intitled to claim divine rights over natural resources when the evolutionary reality is we all need resources.

Jews should have a secular state, just like our Christian majority here lives, not under a Jesus written constitution, but a secular Constitution that does not have a monopoly of power or imply what a citizen must believe.

As much as I support Isreals westerized attitude they still come across like an ignorant Christian here saying "Christian nation" dispite "no religious test".

Like I said, I will suport a secular state, but I will never support any form of theocracy, even if those who advocate it claim it is benign. Religion is never benign when it mixes with politics, and as long as attempts of power exist in our species, that is always going to be a potential monopoly that can arise, even if it isn't currently.

I don't care who claims "I was here first" or "tradition", there comes a point where the violence that disturbs the global economy and global politics makes the parties invovled selfish narcissistic brats.

I's sorry Jews, you were not there first, the Caanites and polytheists existed on that same land prior to you. And I am sorry Muslims they've moved in and they are not going anywhere so stop being childish violent brats and get the fuck over yourselves. Muslim or Jew this is still the same fucking planet and we have never ceased to be the same species.

(September 27, 2012 at 11:27 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I don't really mind the Jews having a homeland, but what a shitty location they chose. How did that conversation go?

I hate the idea of a religious or ratial "homeland", think about it, the Germans had the grand idea of a master race and based it on the "fatherland".

I even fucking hate our 10 year old "homeland" security name here.

No one is saying they should leave, but what matters in good governance is not who is the alpha male, but the common law that allows all to participate and compete for office, and the protection of dissent and free speech. That is what matters, not fucking trying to turn a nation into a fucking theme park.

But yea, I don't think Jews or the Allies thought much about what would happen by moving them there. And if you go by the bible stories that is a pretty shitty thing to do to a friend. Thats like a Real Estate agent selling you a house in a crack infested neighborhood.

But who cares, according to the bible Jews are just the limo driver driving the Christians to the exclusive club and are told "convert or stay outside" this is a Christian only afterlife.

America is completely different, not in the sense that it is godless, of corse it is not. But our "home" is not based on a pecking order or religious favortism, race or religion, but "E-Pluribus Unum".

That is something neither Isreal or Palestine aspire to be. At best some might water it down to treating the minority as pets who sit at the back of the bus.

I am sick of this crap that the planet is the property of any fucking religion. There is one planet and one species and it is bullshit to think any single one of the 7 billion are somehow intitled to claim divine rights over natural resources when the evolutionary reality is we all need resources.

Jews should have a secular state, just like our Christian majority here lives, not under a Jesus written constitution, but a secular Constitution that does not have a monopoly of power or imply what a citizen must believe.

As much as I support Isreals westerized attitude they still come across like an ignorant Christian here saying "Christian nation" dispite "no religious test".

Like I said, I will suport a secular state, but I will never support any form of theocracy, even if those who advocate it claim it is benign. Religion is never benign when it mixes with politics, and as long as attempts of power exist in our species, that is always going to be a potential monopoly that can arise, even if it isn't currently.

I don't care who claims "I was here first" or "tradition", there comes a point where the violence that disturbs the global economy and global politics makes the parties invovled selfish narcissistic brats.

I's sorry Jews, you were not there first, the Caanites and polytheists existed on that same land prior to you. And I am sorry Muslims they've moved in and they are not going anywhere so stop being childish violent brats and get the fuck over yourselves. Muslim or Jew this is still the same fucking planet and we have never ceased to be the same species.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 865 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  When Did the Jews Become Jres? Rhondazvous 10 1025 April 29, 2020 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Jews don't get a pass from me either. Brian37 13 1475 December 24, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why Creationists don't realize the biblical Creation is just jewish mythology? android17ak47 65 8330 July 27, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  The Jews are behind the NZ killings. ignoramus 4 995 March 27, 2019 at 6:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1170 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7400 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7849 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22206 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Just to show that the 'Murricans don't have the monopoly on christian crazy GUBU 5 1690 April 13, 2016 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist