Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quote supposedly from Gustave Flaubert
A quote supposedly from Gustave Flaubert
So, do some of you happen to know, did Gustave Flaubert really say "Pulchritudo vitae in vico, ea videtur solummodo a poetis, ea non videtur a hominibus in vicis." or anything like that? If so, where?
If he did not say that, do you know who actually said that?
RE: A quote supposedly from Gustave Flaubert
I've asked it elsewhere, where I am more likely to get an answer.
Maybe this forum isn't your audience. When you get to the point where you have to answer yourself (after two months)...that's a pretty good bet.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Bump for those interested...

*crickets*

don't worry, I've posted a few bloopers on the boards. There is no good metric to figure out what post will actually hit. Maybe if your post was in latin... /sarcasm
All I know about Flaubert is that he makes a brief appearance in Jimmy Buffett's 'Love In The Library'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 5, 2020 at 1:29 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: So, do some of you happen to know, did Gustave Flaubert really say "Pulchritudo vitae in vico, ea videtur solummodo a poetis, ea non videtur a hominibus in vicis." or anything like that? If so, where?
If he did not say that, do you know who actually said that?

No, that was Joe who said that
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Ah, yes - Joe Flaubert.  The 'Daniel Baldwin' of the Flaubert family.  Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I searched for Flaubert quotes, found many, and I am unimpressed. Pretty much a dick!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I've asked another question, apparently a better one, about New Latin literature.
(January 14, 2020 at 5:09 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: I've asked another question, apparently a better one, about New Latin literature.

I'm curious as to why you seem to doubt these quotes.  Skepticism is a good thing, of course, but what makes you uncertain about this?

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supposedly she's a global phenomenon Foxaèr 7 245 October 10, 2018 at 8:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  Share a quote. Foxaèr 8 753 October 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: c172
  What is your personal best quote you can give? Heat 39 3903 January 30, 2016 at 5:21 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb