Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another reason I hate Ayn Rand.....
Another reason I hate Ayn Rand.....
Ayn Rand ultimately made the stupid fucking argument that "greed was good". 

If she were alive today, one could stipulate she'd side with the likes of Rand Paul and Paul Ryan and even Penn Jillette. 

Here is a quote from a wikipedia article which states her motive for writing "Atlas Shrugged".

ARTICLE QUOTE "Rand's stated for writing the novel was "to show how desperately the world needs prime movers and how viciously it treats them" and to portray "what happens to the world without them"."

From this link 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shru..._in_Russia

Under the Sub heading in bold, "Context and writing."

I am fucking sick of my species making arguments for dominance which is all this shit is. One can argue that if they are on top, they can help more. And that is true. But what Rand stupidly ignored are assholes like Hitler and Stalin, whom for a while, made things better for their respective populations. 

It isn't as simple as "prime mover". And that term to me is fucking stupid as an atheist, knowing she was herself, an atheist. All she was ultimately arguing was "might makes right" But masked the justification for that in "reason and objectivity". 

I fucking hate her, and it is bullshit logic. I think anyone should value objectivity and reason, which she claimed to promote. But her bullshit to me was no different than any despot or theocrat justifying dominance. 
RE: Another reason I hate Ayn Rand.....
Never read her stuff..

You obviously have - and it seems to have pissed you off.....

So who's the schmuck?

Big Grin
(February 4, 2020 at 6:19 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Never read her stuff..

So who's the schmuck?

Big Grin

Don't be too quick to presume that Brian has read books. He should really just ask the membership to summarize Rand before he decides if he hates her.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
She was an inspiration for 2112, she can't be all that bad.
Quote:Never read her stuff..

So who's the schmuck?

[Image: biggrin.gif]
How the heck is criticizing a authors books make you a schmuck? Especially when you consider here influence on modern American politics (not for the better)

Quote:Don't be too quick to presume that Brian has read books. He should really just ask the membership to summarize Rand before he decides if he hates her.
I wouldn't assume this

(February 4, 2020 at 6:12 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Ayn Rand ultimately made the stupid fucking argument that "greed was good". 

If she were alive today, one could stipulate she'd side with the likes of Rand Paul and Paul Ryan and even Penn Jillette. 

Here is a quote from a wikipedia article which states her motive for writing "Atlas Shrugged".

ARTICLE QUOTE "Rand's stated for writing the novel was "to show how desperately the world needs prime movers and how viciously it treats them" and to portray "what happens to the world without them"."

From this link 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shru..._in_Russia

Under the Sub heading in bold, "Context and writing."

I am fucking sick of my species making arguments for dominance which is all this shit is. One can argue that if they are on top, they can help more. And that is true. But what Rand stupidly ignored are assholes like Hitler and Stalin, whom for a while, made things better for their respective populations. 

It isn't as simple as "prime mover". And that term to me is fucking stupid as an atheist, knowing she was herself, an atheist. All she was ultimately arguing was "might makes right" But masked the justification for that in "reason and objectivity". 

I fucking hate her, and it is bullshit logic. I think anyone should value objectivity and reason, which she claimed to promote. But her bullshit to me was no different than any despot or theocrat justifying dominance. 
Yup Rand was a piece of shit .Here political philosophy is repugnant and her epistemology is laughable and fictional heroes are all unlikable assholes  .Her only saving grace is her rejection of religion but considering she formed  a personality cult .That's not saying much
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(February 4, 2020 at 9:07 pm)no one Wrote: She was an inspiration for 2112, she can't be all that bad.

Yeah, at least 2112 works better as a story than Anthem. And it’s at least tighter-plotted.

And as far as stories arguing “might makes right,” I’m going to leave this monologue from Aunt Dan and Lemon here. At least Wallace Shawn wants the audience to think about this character’s ideology, wondering just how much truth there is or isn’t in what she’s saying, especially as her mentor ends up valuing compassion after decades of embracing fascism and she doesn’t (admittedly, not in this monologue). Ayn Rand just wants to spoon feed you her bullshit ideology and her work suffers for it.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I never saw the draw.

Writers really shouldn't be looked to for ideology. It's all either an effort to entertain you or stir you up however we want to. We're not to be trusted.
Ayn Rand  argued slaughtering the native americans was a good thing .Because it was a rejection of primitivism.

(February 4, 2020 at 9:25 pm)Shell B Wrote: I never saw the draw.

Writers really shouldn't be looked to for ideology. It's all either an effort to entertain you or stir you up however we want to. We're not to be trusted.

They should be when they make there ideology the center piece of their book and they make it politically prescriptive
"Change was inevitable"

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Either teens looking to be astute readers, or right-wingers looking to prop up their pre-existing ideology. I was the former during my Rand phase.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(February 4, 2020 at 9:44 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:

Either teens looking to be astute readers, or right-wingers looking to prop up their pre-existing ideology. I was the former during my Rand phase.
Yup plenty of youth went through their Rand phase

Best Quote about Rands work

[Image: C9DkUhaW0AMmUEs.jpg]
"Change was inevitable"

–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A song that you hate The Valkyrie 33 2271 December 17, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  12 more reasons to hate me. Brian37 18 1555 January 17, 2020 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Movies you hate but everyone else loves Fake Messiah 77 5630 February 19, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Why I hate the movie "The Dirty Dozen" Brian37 11 1189 October 23, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Does anyone besides me hate Ferris Bueller? Brian37 20 6439 July 20, 2017 at 1:03 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  I hate Star Trek fans doing this. Brian37 40 4771 September 1, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Review of The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason by Victor J. Stenger Justtristo 2 1592 December 11, 2010 at 6:19 am
Last Post: Justtristo