Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Institution" and food shows.
"Institution" and food shows.
I love some food shows, but I fucking hate it when the host calls any joint, fast food or high brow an "institution".

It is food, it isn't a college, it isn't the FBI, it isn't a hospital.
RE: "Institution" and food shows.
We speak of the 'institution' of marriage.  An outstanding member of a community might be called 'an institution in our town.'

Words have multiple meanings.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
No, it is just a way of marketing.

Just like when you call a scientist "Dr", vrs calling a theologian "Dr".

Food is food, and the only reason there is a price difference is because people use words like "Aju" and " ecargo".  

I get that there are great food joints that have longevity, and I am fine with that, but they are not schools or hospitals, they are just joints that sell. No need to call them "institutions".
(February 17, 2020 at 4:17 pm)Brian37 Wrote: No, it is just a way of marketing.

Food is food, and the only reason there is a price difference is because people use words like "Aju" and " ecargo".  

I get that there are great food joints that have longevity, and I am fine with that, but they are not schools or hospitals, they are just joints that sell. No need to call them "institutions".

So, your contention is that words don't have different meanings?

What's wrong with calling a theologian with a PhD 'doctor'? And it's 'an jus' and 'escargot'.  These are French words, and properly describe the food being served.

Well, differences in the price of prepared foods also come from things like quality, source, and preparation.

'Institution' is a perfectly proper word to use.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Calling something ecargo raises the price?

Interesting.

Cooked snails are called escargot - which is French for snails.

You off on a rant-a-thon again?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(February 17, 2020 at 4:33 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:

Calling something ecargo raises the price?

Interesting.

Cooked snails are called Escargot.  

No, this is serious business.  Clearly, Brian hearing a word on telly that he mistakenly thinks is being used incorrectly justifies a whole new thread.

Boru
I think some places deserve that designation due to what the place brings to the town or city it is in. Ridgewalker in Forest Grove comes to mind. They are a little brewpub that brew their beers on a 2 bbl system! Holy shit! and they bring some great beers and a nice atmosphere with the rough hewn tables and wrought iron supports. They have some nice fish tacos too and their rotating specials keep it interesting. Sure many restaurants and fast food joints are just food but some places stand out and rate as institutions.
(February 17, 2020 at 4:35 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 17, 2020 at 4:33 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Calling something ecargo raises the price?

Interesting.

Cooked snails are called Escargot.  

No, this is serious business.  Clearly, Brian hearing a word on telly that he mistakenly thinks is being used incorrectly justifies a whole new thread.

Boru

Obviously you are speaking tongue and cheek, for all intensive purposes.

Not Boru

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(February 17, 2020 at 4:37 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(February 17, 2020 at 4:35 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: No, this is serious business.  Clearly, Brian hearing a word on telly that he mistakenly thinks is being used incorrectly justifies a whole new thread.

Boru

Obviously you are speaking tongue and cheek, for all intensive purposes.

Not Boru

You did that on purpose? For all intents and purposes? You can take that for granite!

You know, solid like a rock...
(February 17, 2020 at 4:35 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I think some places deserve that designation due to what the place brings to the town or city it is in. Ridgewalker in Forest Grove comes to mind. They are a little brewpub that brew their beers on a 2 bbl system! Holy shit! and they bring some great beers and a nice atmosphere with the rough hewn tables and wrought iron supports. They have some nice fish tacos too and their rotating specials keep it interesting. Sure many restaurants and fast food joints are just food but some places stand out and rate as institutions.

Agreed.  There's a pub called Granny Annie's that's been in my home town since before WWII.  It's such an INSTITUTION that people never call it by name, just 'the place' as in, 'Are ye goin to t' place tonight?' or 'Had an amazing pie at the place.'

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A PhD with food stamps? Jehanne 6 850 April 18, 2022 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Cultural Appropriation and Food Goosebump 15 1184 June 6, 2021 at 11:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Silly food. Gawdzilla Sama 19 1055 December 22, 2020 at 9:01 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why I hate food critics.... Brian37 23 2858 January 21, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Song Thread About Food/Drink BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1390 May 23, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  "Top 10 Shows That Could Be The Next Game of Thrones." Gawdzilla Sama 11 916 May 21, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Ran into another Food Nazi just now. Brian37 31 2821 July 31, 2018 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Emergency food help. What do you put on a BLT? Gawdzilla Sama 36 2148 July 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why are children allowed to act in TV shows/movies? Alexmahone 10 2534 May 27, 2018 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
Heart Tell us your ethnicity with food pics *Deidre* 138 20734 May 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Napoléon